Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 01:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 21:40 

Hello,
I have an anomaly with L4D2 (which also occurred with L4D) with a 16:9, 1366x768 resolution. The scope on sniper rifles is an oval instead of a circle. While this isn't a major gaming deterrent since the fov of the scope is correct for horizontal, but the vertical fov is higher than normal.

Here is my screenshot scope at 1366x768:

This is the correct scope at 1280x720:

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 00:08 

I'd report that as a bug to Valve, with those pics. They are good about patching such things.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 06:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Shame about #6 too.. I was planning to get triple WS soon, big shame I won't actually get more FOV.. anyway L4D2 has way less FOV than L4D1 so the 16:9 FOV is just right for 5:4.

In my opinion the two biggest real issues are:

* The crosshair being huge. It's impossible to play it by default. Sure we can use CVARs to make it smaller and static but then we lose the recoil information.

* HUD not being centered. Let's be serious now, it gets docked to the sides and it is worse than stretched since it's so hard to look at it while playing. It almost might as well not be there sometimes since you need far more than a casual glance to see your health.

So maybe this game should get 99%. But it doesn't deserve 100% since both of these issues could've been easily solved by VALVE by using the middle monitor rectangle for their bounding geometry calculations.

Meanwhile there are other games who actually do put in more effort (post-patch Far Cry 2 had perfect TripleHead support as far as I can remember, rFactor solved the fish-eye camera, etc), so do they not deserve a higher score?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 11:54 

Yes but those are relatively minor issues dealing exclusively with surround. Surround blemishes do not cause decertification.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 23:42 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes but those are relatively minor issues dealing exclusively with surround. Surround blemishes do not cause decertification.

I understand it doesn't cause decertification, but then again it shouldn't be 100% is what I was saying. Empire Total War has way less game-affecting blemishes and even that game doesn't get 100%.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 04:51 
Insiders
Insiders

Empire: Total War's problem affects widescreen users, which are the primary focus. Also, I don't think you understand what the percentage means. It's not a score of the game, but a score of the DR. Left 4 Dead 2's DR is 100% complete. Empire: Total War's DR is only 99.5% complete - it's missing information on 1920x1200 support.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 12:12 
Insiders
Insiders

Empire: Total War's problem affects widescreen users, which are the primary focus. Also, I don't think you understand what the percentage means. It's not a score of the game, but a score of the DR. Left 4 Dead 2's DR is 100% complete. Empire: Total War's DR is only 99.5% complete - it's missing information on 1920x1200 support.

Oh ok, thanks for that tidbit.. well maybe we should have a separate Triplehead certification then now that EyeFinity is mainstream. Because M2TW triple support is far more playable then the L4D2 triple support out of the box, not really fair to give L4D2 higher marks.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 17:57 

I finally had some free time to mess around with left4Dead 2. I came across this while I was setting up a center-screen-HUD fix.

Undeniable proof that parts of the HUD are behaving in a vert- manner:

Normal:

Triplehead:

Normally, those floating pop-up messages are confined to a small box in the middle of the screen. This invisible box that limits how far these pop-ups can move from the center of the screen is a fixed aspect ratio, but it expands as the screen gets wider. Once the screen gets wide enough, the top and bottom of this boundary box go off the top and bottom of the screen (cropping occurs).

Icons within this boundary box are now allowed to trail off the top and bottom of the screen, meaning they get cropped as well.

Here's what that invisible boundary box looks like at 16:10

And here's what it looks like at 48:10

As you can see, it's quite obviously being cropped, allowing icons to run off the top and bottom of the screen. It appears that certain HUD elements (this boundary box, the crosshair, the pop-up icons themselves) only look at the horizontal width of the screen when they determine their size, and just assume the screen will be tall enough to fit everything.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 18:07 
Insiders
Insiders

That's really weird because I don't remember mine being that big. I'm gonna check this when I get back.

update:
Not as small as 16:9 but definitely not as big as yours.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010, 08:40 

So im running L4d2 on 3 30" monitors at 8040x1600(bezel corrected) on 3 480GTX's. The problem is the side monitors looks very odd. the objects in them look enlarged like looking through a magnifying glass, and they get stretched the closer to the outer edges of the screen they go. The middle monitor looks just fine though. Is there a FOV setting Im suppose to adjust or something? Why does it look like that?
Here is an example:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next