Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Jun 2024, 21:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 11:53 

Anyway... paradoxally the situation was better before the patch... in fact:
- both 4:3 and 16:9 / 16:10 users would get their Battlefield FOV correct (using Widescreen Fixer in the second case) and with no probs. with ALT-TAB;
while now:
- users have to choose between ALT+TAB ok or Widescreen FOV ok without any possibility of having both.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:12 

I played the game regardless of the poor widescreen support. heck, I played the demo for three years before I finally bought a computer powerful enough to play it :D

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:16 

DOUBLE

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:16 

They fixed it

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-2/804570-battlefield-2-update-1-50-alt-tab-fix.html

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 21:43 
Editors
Editors

I find that both impressive and strange. They can fix that issue that quickly, but can't fix others... still, I guess coding isn't a fun game to play when it's "Hunt the bugs..."

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 01:06 

I find that both impressive and strange. They can fix that issue that quickly, but can't fix others... still, I guess coding isn't a fun game to play when it's "Hunt the bugs..."

If you can tell them EXACTLY where the bug occurs, they will fix it. BF2 is a coding nightmare, that's how they describe it to us. The game is a total mess on the backend, finding anything is extremely difficult and they can't spend time looking for these obscure bugs.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 11:06 
Editors
Editors

[quote]I find that both impressive and strange. They can fix that issue that quickly, but can't fix others... still, I guess coding isn't a fun game to play when it's "Hunt the bugs..."

If you can tell them EXACTLY where the bug occurs, they will fix it. BF2 is a coding nightmare, that's how they describe it to us. The game is a total mess on the backend, finding anything is extremely difficult and they can't spend time looking for these obscure bugs.
Which was rather my point...

Anyway, I presume the lack of proper widescreen support was more down to EA putting pressure on DICE, then, rather than DICE being of the opinion that it couldn't be done or would break the game...

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 16:29 
Insiders
Insiders

Good programming is really all about maintainability, 90% of the time I'd say. If something's programmed well, then it's relatively easy to go back and fix bugs or add features. Sadly, lots of stuff is not so well programmed, for various reasons.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 10:15 

Yeah, I have EA's buying power to blame for DICE's downward spiral. I posted on EA's forums trying to get 'em to add widescreen support when BF2142 was their current BF generation. Somehow the thread went missing and I no longer knew what happened to it. I just gave up and lost faith entirely.

It only shows that DICE is more mismanaged than ever before... when they were working on the 1.50 patch, they allocated timed resources instead of a development team. I would have been fine if they had assigned a 2 or 3 man team to try to work on it. But they allocated time... All I can ask is... "Why???????"

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 10:37 

Yeah, I have EA's buying power to blame for DICE's downward spiral. I posted on EA's forums trying to get 'em to add widescreen support when BF2142 was their current BF generation. Somehow the thread went missing and I no longer knew what happened to it. I just gave up and lost faith entirely.

It only shows that DICE is more mismanaged than ever before... when they were working on the 1.50 patch, they allocated timed resources instead of a development team. I would have been fine if they had assigned a 2 or 3 man team to try to work on it. But they allocated time... All I can ask is... "Why???????"

Probably because the game no longer generates any real revenue.

And personally I thought Mirror's Edge and Bad Company were excellent games, so I don't subscribe to the downward spiral theory either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next