Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 19:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 03:02 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't see why expanding only horizontally is considered a blemish, but expanding horizontally and vertically isn't being considered one at all.

Because distortion is a flaw, plain and simple. The HUD getting bigger as the resolution increases isn't necessarily so, especially in widescreen where it gets 33% bigger at most.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 03:04 

Being the wrong size and blurry isn't distortion?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 03:08 
Insiders
Insiders

If a square remains a square, it's not being distorted.

Plenty of games feature HUDs that scale up as the resolution increases. We haven't documented this in the 450+ games that are on record. I'm not about to retroactively check each and every one of them, or de-certify whatever of the 74 certified games work this way. Doing this for any TH support at all is taking long enough as it is.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 12:05 

From what I see/read, we're talking about a potentially game breaking glitch here. How can you certify that? True, it's only really game breaking for very very wide setups, but still it is a glitch. Icons should not be as big as they are on widescreens.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 15:57 

From what I see/read, we're talking about a potentially game breaking glitch here. How can you certify that? True, it's only really game breaking for very very wide setups, but still it is a glitch. Icons should not be as big as they are on widescreens.

Game breaking is debatable. I will agree its definitely annoying for TH users, but so is say the health going on the far side monitors rather than the center. I do believe that they should fix it but its definitely not grounds for decertification. Oh and the feature can be disabled in the options menu.

Options > Multiplayer > Game Instructor

90%+ of people will want to have it disabled anyway especially those that have played the original L4D. It is very annoying even when playing 4:3. It's basically teaching newbs how to play an FPS game with popup messages like "You should press R to manually reload your weapon!" or "Press Crouch to duck!" or the one that we are talking about which is basically "hey dumbshit come pick up a weapon."

On:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9396/11212009084429.jpg
Off:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5600/11212009084453.jpg

As for the Crosshair try out
cl_crosshair_thickness 1 (def: 2)
cl_crosshair_dynamic 0 (def: 1)
in surround to see if that makes it any better.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 21:26 
Editors
Editors

I'll try the crosshair thing now, what file do I need to edit and where is it located?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 22:18 
Insiders
Insiders

I just tried those two things, and while they aren't nearly as good as cl_crosshairscale would have been; they are an improvement.

Also I had an idea for the screenshots of the overlays that are stretched. When a smoker gets you little water droplets get overlayed on the screen. Even if your screenshots don't match exactly it will show them being circular in one and ellipses in another.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 23:19 

I just tried those two things, and while they aren't nearly as good as cl_crosshairscale would have been; they are an improvement.

Also I had an idea for the screenshots of the overlays that are stretched. When a smoker gets you little water droplets get overlayed on the screen. Even if your screenshots don't match exactly it will show them being circular in one and ellipses in another.

Yeah I'm guessing that those are 512x512 (they can only be perfectly square and a power of 2) images, so they are stretched on everything even 4:3. (though slightly). This is probably exhibited in L4D, Portal, TF2, HL2 (and Episodes), Zeno Clash, CS:S and DoD:S as well.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 00:33 
Editors
Editors

I made the edit to the steam/steamapps/common/left4dead2/left4dead2/cfg/config.cfg file and saw no change.

Granted it did an update to the game so maybe it wrote them back to stock, is there a different file I should be editing?

Edit: yeah they were wrote back to stock, i'll give it another shot and see if I see the changes now.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 01:08 

Granted it did an update to the game so maybe it wrote them back to stock, is there a different file I should be editing?

autoexec.cfg is the one that you should be using. (you may have to create it)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next