Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 12:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 18:54 

Although I want to see if the videos really represent the game, will the final product be stuck with the DRM thats burning up the forums???

http://www.nothingbutpcgaming.com/news/news/its-no-ruse-the-games-demo-is-here

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 19:14 

I wonder if I can read a thread about an Ubisoft game for the next few years without seeing the phrase "DRM."

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 19:20 
Editors
Editors

No, you aren't.

It's going to take some time, after Ubisoft having the latest Prince of Persia sell fairly well on the PC without DRM (despite being, frankly, shitty) for their sudden mega-fail-DRM attempt to be forgotten or forgiven. ;)

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 19:31 

I wonder if I can read a thread about an Ubisoft game for the next few years without seeing the phrase "DRM."

Actually I think Ubisoft, DRM and [insert rant here] are pretty much a given for the forseeable future... :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 21:06 

No, you aren't.

It's going to take some time, after Ubisoft having the latest Prince of Persia sell fairly well on the PC without DRM (despite being, frankly, shitty) for their sudden mega-fail-DRM attempt to be forgotten or forgiven. ;)

Weird you say that since every news story I ever read said Prince of Persia sold like crap and it was in the Target clearance bin like a week after release.

Anyway, my point was more that DRM is only that important to a small fraction of the user base, yet people against it are so loud it constantly comes up at every turn on forums. Most people just want to talk about the game...

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 21:56 
Editors
Editors

Weird you say that since every news story I ever read said Prince of Persia sold like crap and it was in the Target clearance bin like a week after release.

Anyway, my point was more that DRM is only that important to a small fraction of the user base, yet people against it are so loud it constantly comes up at every turn on forums. Most people just want to talk about the game...

To be fair... "most" people don't even know forums exist. By default, those tech-savvy enough to find forums and be active on them are going to be aware of the DRM, and thus are going to talk about it. Perhaps it's just the forums I visit, but I've seen no real discussion of the game and lots of discussion about the DRM...

I ended up buying a novel adaptation of AC2 (it was £2) so most of the reason I buy games like that is covered - the story...

The latest PoP was crap, and yes it hit clearance quickly, but considering how quickly it hit the clearance bin, it did sell fairly well. I suspect many of the sales were after it hit budget-price. It wasn't record breaking, but then that franchise has been slowly losing popularity. Even the console versions were slammed in reviews that I saw, so what do you expect of the PC port? Honestly, it was like Ubisoft did it deliberately, so they could say, [sarcasm] "Look, it sold like shit, it must be the dirty stinking filty pirates wot done it! Let's invent some heavy new DRM!" [/sarcasm]

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 23:43 
Editors
Editors

It will if you bring it up in the second post in a yet another flame-bating way. Some of your posts are becoming quite tiresome.

I've had the demo pre-loaded on Steam since you were able to now, and although I'm not an RTS fan, it's got me interested after PC Gamer UK did a little piece on it - sounded like a lot of fun deceiving a mate. :D

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 00:07 

To be fair... "most" people don't even know forums exist. By default, those tech-savvy enough to find forums and be active on them are going to be aware of the DRM, and thus are going to talk about it. Perhaps it's just the forums I visit, but I've seen no real discussion of the game and lots of discussion about the DRM...

I suppose the tech-savy thing is true, but I kind of look at it as no one is going to change anyone's mind, you either find the idea of DRM repulsive and are not buying the game or you don't really care/will crack it anyway. I don't mind DRM discussion, it just seems like any thread started for the next two years about the gameplay will also have "of course with this DRM..." at the end of it, like the original post here.

It's just like... I dunno... let's not talk about it. I'm tired, lol.

The latest PoP was crap, and yes it hit clearance quickly, but considering how quickly it hit the clearance bin, it did sell fairly well. I suspect many of the sales were after it hit budget-price. It wasn't record breaking, but then that franchise has been slowly losing popularity. Even the console versions were slammed in reviews that I saw, so what do you expect of the PC port? Honestly, it was like Ubisoft did it deliberately, so they could say, [sarcasm] "Look, it sold like shit, it must be the dirty stinking filty pirates wot done it! Let's invent some heavy new DRM!" [/sarcasm]

I've never looked up sales figures for it, I just know I have read they were dissapointing... perhaps because people waited for the bin, I dunno. It was not a very good game though, I am glad they are moving back to the original Sands of Time vibe.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 00:09 

It will if you bring it up in the second post in a yet another flame-bating way. Some of your posts are becoming quite tiresome.

I wasn't flame-baiting, I was expressing frustration because a thread on the RUSE beta has to start with a comment about DRM. I didn't bring it up, I responded to it, and I would appreciate not being personally bashed for it. It's not very moderator-like, for one thing.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 03:19 

Soooooo........

Tried the demo....pretty interesting. Clever graphics and interesting gameplay. Want to put in a few more hours of playing time before giving feedback.....