Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 18:18 

My apologies if this has already been posted...

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201010/5371/Eidos-teases-with-new-Deux-Ex-Human-Revolution-trailer

Looks interesting, like the nod to Icarus...plus the main character appears to be drinking a shot of scotch, so the game has already sold me really. :wink: Trailer reminded me a bit of Blade Runner as well, which is always a good thing.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 19:40 
Editors
Editors

I disliked Blade Runner quite a lot (although the Phillip K. Dick novel it was based on was good - "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?") but everything I've seen so far about Deus Ex 3 has me hopeful that they aren't going to completely balls it up...

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 18:01 

Really? I've always liked that movie. What impresses me is how well is stands up today in terms of visuals, and the mood/atmosphere is incredible.

IMHO of course. :D

Ditto on the hopeful-not-to-balls-it-up bit. If they can even get it close to the original I will be a very happy camper, the graphics certainly look promising.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 19:38 
Editors
Editors

My opinion of Blade Runner was probably coloured by the person who got me to watch it, who was a pretentious tosser at the best of times... but enough of that. :lol:

I just hope DE3 has the same level of complexity as DE1... if it's all "unified ammo" and "dumb augs" and "no skills" then I won't want to know.

It's kinda weird in a way - as I get older, I want my RPG and FPS games more complex and interesting, but I'm happy to still play fairly "simple" RTS games. But then, chess and go are "simple" when compared to some of the mind-shatteringly complex crap that some RTS games make you do just to build one damned building...

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 23:26 
Insiders
Insiders

On the off chance that you saw the theatrical cut (featuring narration and a happy ending), give either the director's cut or "final" cut a try. They improve the movie so much it isn't funny.

There's not much difference between DC and FC. Basically FC has more graphic violence and fixes a few minor continuity errors.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 13:45 

On the off chance that you saw the theatrical cut (featuring narration and a happy ending), give either the director's cut or "final" cut a try. They improve the movie so much it isn't funny.

There's not much difference between DC and FC. Basically FC has more graphic violence and fixes a few minor continuity errors.

I bought the Blu-Ray set a while ago, haven't watched it yet but there appears to be quite a few 'cuts', like about 5 I think? Kind of annoying really. It's like...get the crew together, take a day, argue it over, and get the fooker right already. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 17:11 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah, five cuts. Theatrical cut, international cut, director's cut, final cut, and workprint cut.

It's like...get the crew together, take a day, argue it over, and get the fooker right already.

That's what the final cut claims to be the result of. Workprint is the original crew's rough draft. Theatrical and international cuts were made by the studio, without the crew's input, based on audience response to previews. Director's cut is actually made by the studio again, but with lots of consultation from the director. Final cut is the one where the director was completely in charge, and had all the time he needed, though it's not all that different from director's cut.

Actually, as much as the theatrical cut sucks, I think it's good that the original version is available, and given a decent HD transfer as well (as opposed to a shoddy laserdisc transfer to a "bonus disc.") Five cuts might be overkill, but you don't need to watch all of them.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 18:53 

I disliked Blade Runner quite a lot...

It's a cult movie, I can understand why many people don't like it.

When I saw it the first time as a kid, I was quite disappointed with it. I demanded action and the only action I could remember was that scene when Deckard "heroically" shoots the beautiful snake lady in the back, over and over again. Not exactly what I had in mind.

As I grew older and saw it many times again, it became one of my favorite movies of all times. And then there's Vangelis soundtrack which is a story on its own.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 07:41 

Bladerunner is my favorite movie of all time.

Deus Ex is my favorite video game of all time.

This game is pretty much a disappointment from the word go, but I am not usually the type to let that stop me from enjoying things. I enjoyed Invisible War for heaven's sake.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 22:31 
Editors
Editors

I enjoyed Invisible War for heaven's sake.

You actually admit that?

The door is that way, dood. ;)