Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 12:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 23:00 
Editors
Editors

OK, having been reading scav's MMMM thread, I spotted that GRID now has a 1.3 patch. Maybe I'm slow? Anyway, I popped on the Codies website to find it, and saw this interesting little snippet:

Notice the bit that says "FREE CHEATS"?

Well, what's your definition of free? Costs nothing, right? Same as mine. Now, knowing that Codemasters are a bit weird, and charge you for custom-unlock codes for various cheats in their games, I thought, "Oh, maybe they've made the GRID cheats free since it's now older..."

WRONG.

When the hell did "FREE" become "PAY MONEY"?

Apparently, in whatever strange little universe that Codemasters occupies... "FREE" equates to £2.99.

Now, I'm sorry, but this requires me to do a doubletake and a loud...

LOLWUT? :doh

Now, I'm sorry but I think that's fuckin' cheeky. Free stuff does not cost money.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 23:39 

They sell cheats now? What will they think of next, paying for storage space? Ohhhh.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 23:42 
Editors
Editors

Codemasters have been "selling" their cheats for years. It obviously works, or they wouldn't do it... I imagine most of their income on that front comes from console gamers (kids) who can't be bothered to complete a game to unlock the cheats. I've got a completed GRID save (somewhere) I just thought if they were free, that I'd maybe load GRID up again for a "mess around and have fun" play-through, rather than a "serious" play-through. :)

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 01:11 
Editors
Editors

I heard about the pay-for-cheats thing awhile back but never went looking for examples. I can't decide if this is more or less absurd than horse armor.

What really irks me about Codemasters is that they are the primary party causing "licensing issues" resulting in awesome games getting pulled from the GOG.com catalog. I went to buy Operation Flashpoint a couple weeks ago and no dice...it's been gone for more than a year. The GOG staff have posted that they are trying to resolve things but nothing has changed. This has left a number of GOG community members sitting under a collective WTF?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 03:10 
Insiders
Insiders

When the hell did "FREE" become "PAY MONEY"?

You just realized this? This particular scam dates back at least to P.T. Barnum. Surely you must have heard of Columbia Record Club, or cereal box tops, or one of the bazillion "free reward" companies that popped up and vanished within the past decade.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 03:57 

I heard about the pay-for-cheats thing awhile back but never went looking for examples. I can't decide if this is more or less absurd than horse armor.

What really irks me about Codemasters is that they are the primary party causing "licensing issues" resulting in awesome games getting pulled from the GOG.com catalog. I went to buy Operation Flashpoint a couple weeks ago and no dice...it's been gone for more than a year. The GOG staff have posted that they are trying to resolve things but nothing has changed. This has left a number of GOG community members sitting under a collective WTF?

Wow, a year? Last time I was on GOG it was still available. Time has passed alright...

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 04:43 

I didn't even know Operation Flashpoint was on GOG, I would have bought it.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 10:12 
Editors
Editors

I didn't even know Operation Flashpoint was on GOG, I would have bought it.

Had they announced the game was going to get pulled by a certain date--like they did for Dirt and TOCA 3--I would have definitely purchased it. Sadly, now games just vanish without warning.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 11:45 

[quote]I didn't even know Operation Flashpoint was on GOG, I would have bought it.

Had they announced the game was going to get pulled by a certain date--like they did for Dirt and TOCA 3--I would have definitely purchased it. Sadly, now games just vanish without warning.

That is indeed lame.

I make sure to have backup copies of all my GOG purchases, just in case. I don't trust them to be around or offering the same wares in a few years like I do Steam or other such services.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 18:08 
Editors
Editors

I make sure to have backup copies of all my GOG purchases, just in case. I don't trust them to be around or offering the same wares in a few years like I do Steam or other such services.

Yeah I do the same with my GOG library. I'm hoping GOG will be around for a long time. The fact that they landed Activision on their service I take as a good sign. If they are able to get EA or Lucasarts or both then I would see that as an indication of a very healthy business. Fingers crossed....