Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 11:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: what size monitor
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 03:55 

I'm looking at replacing my monitor. I'll probably go with a single screen. Currently I've got an older
26inch Samsung that is only 1366x768 resolution, and that's why. It's been a good work horse but
I want better resolution. Looking at 1920 x 1200 UltraSharp Dell U2410 24". I guess I'm wondering if
i should move to a smaller monitor or if this is a good size? 24 inch. I'm asking because even though I've been
using the Samsung 26 for some years I've always had a little trouble sitting this close to such a
big screen. And of course this is 2inches less. Maybe that's all i need? I have a standard size office desk it's about 29.5 inches across and considering how I sit at the desk and exactly how much space the monitor uses, I'd say that's likely the distance from my eyes=30inches or so. Is that a good distance? I wear a variety of glasses depending on whether I'm driving or reading and some things in between haha. So I can make adjustments as needed, but I guess I don't remember what is common and suggested. I know it depends on the person etc., but I was curious if there is a comon distance to which one gravitates.

I havent actually viewed one of these monitors yet, but the specs look good to me.

1920x1200 resolution
24inch
12bit color? -its called "internal processing" they don't call it color 1.07billion colors/they're including grays
16:10 aspect ratio
1,000:1 constant contrast/80,000:1 dynamic contrast
dvi/hdmi/vga
6ms response
can't determine tft or crt pixel pitch??? would anyone know/I'm new at this maybe I'm missing it? hoping TFT

Current retail is $600/I'm hoping to find one in refurbished? But i'm not sure
this higher end model appears much in such.?

I suppose I could spend $600, but that's a lot I think-for me. I'm also vaguely looking at getting a 3monitor display because I've just installed a Radeon 5870 2gb eyefinity6 gpu. And nice
as that is, I'm not sure I'm ready for those bezels with the multi screens. Everyone's different
and I've only seen them on Youtube etc, but as a mostly shooter player....I don't know. Maybe
I'll wait for even small monitor bezels. I haven't used it, but those bezels bother me. I'm sure
others are good with it, but me??

Any advice/experience appreciated

Tom

Post subject: Re: what size monitor
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 14:36 

Why did you have a 5870 eyefinity6 gpu when you're not even sure if you will do multimonitors, most especially 6. Three U2410 will cost you a lot of money so if you would want to have 3 displays, look for a different one (U2311).

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 21:42 

My older son plays on a 32 inch Sony Bravia 1080p. It looks AWESOME! And, he plays both PC and XBOX 360 games. The Sony is a really good TV. He sits maybe 4 - 5 feet from the screen.

But, for me, I have a 3x1 Eyefinity setup here using 3 ViewSonic 24 inch 1080p LCDs.

Don't base your opinion of Eyefinity due to what you see on YouTube. When you are actually playing the games, rather than seeing someone's video of THEM playing the games, you realize that you don't even notice the bezels. The reason being that your focus is on that center screen where all the main action is taking place.

BUT, this is with a 3x1 Eyefinity setup. I cannot recommend, personally, a 6x1 setup due to the fact that the center of the action would be right on that horizontal bezel. For Eyefinity to work well, the setup needs to be made of an odd number of displays....not an even number. And, for that reason, I don't see the logic of buying any 6x1 Eyefinity video card.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 01:27 

BUT, this is with a 3x1 Eyefinity setup. I cannot recommend, personally, a 6x1 setup due to the fact that the center of the action would be right on that horizontal bezel. For Eyefinity to work well, the setup needs to be made of an odd number of displays....not an even number. And, for that reason, I don't see the logic of buying any 6x1 Eyefinity video card.

Well, with a few exceptions. There are some games, like WoW, or possibly third person games, or maybe even rts or flight sims, where 3x2 wouldnt be that bad. For those of us FPS enthusiasts, which is a lot of PC gamers, we're eagerly awaiting the option for 5x1 portrait.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 14:48 

I'd recommend the smaller one depending on how close your sitting 2210 has the same res and a tighter pitch.

OR

Go U2410 and get the better panel...(well worth it IMHO)
I'm a single screen user, and thats the route I would go.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 20:45 

If you want more pixels in front of you, but don't like big monitors, the multimonitor solution may work for you.

I think bezels don't bother me because after just a little bit of play your brain learns to ignore that small area. Besides, you are still focusing directly in front on you. The sides are peripheral vision which gives you immersion and sometimes a little warning of danger when playing a FPS.

All that said, I now have a single UltraSharp 3008WFP and it's the best thing ever to me, hands down. One monitor, lots of pixels. But since you seem to not be into large monitors.