Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 14:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 12:58 

Also no further DLC's for PC, basically there's a row going on over on 2K's forums where basically they've turned around and told PC gamers that they don't give 2 tosses about them, though not explicitly said it means basically no patches, DLC's or support for PC users of Bioshock 2 anymore, not that there has been any mind, it's in the update in the first post here : http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f3a61e08a24e88b85904d299a7c6780b&t=88830 : reading through official responses in the thread through all the smoke, mirrors and double talk, (all normal behaviour for 2K), you get the jist of it, another thread that's pulled teeth sorry info from 2K is this one : http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85465&page=5

2K have made no effort as of just checking now to make it public, i.e. on the official Cult Of Rapture website or contacting the press, it was released several pages into a thread on a Friday afternoon with the hope it'd go away by Monday, another ploy they like to use, fortunatrely a few people contacting online mag's and the story got published.

Also prior to the announcement 2K had been stringing people along about fixes, patches, etc. for 8 months before one user on the 2K forum contacted online mag's/publications to point out how shoite 2K are, then they made the announcement, i.e. they jumped before being pushed.

SP

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 15:03 
Editors
Editors

Hate to sound cynical, but...

Given the utter lack of support PC Bioshock users got in the first place... you're surprised why?

Still, it sucks. With each console generation, I wonder why publishers get more hostile toward the PC... the more consoles evolve, the more PC-like they become.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 15:03 

Not sure what needed patched as the game ran fine for me, but a lack of the singleplayer DLC does suck. That said I thought BioShock 2 was a useless retread, so it doesn't bother me incredibly, but still you should support all your platforms equally.

I feel bad for community managers though... that girl has no power what-so-ever, she just repeats what she is told.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 16:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Whoa, my ignorance. I thought all the issues were taken care of. People are seriously pissed off.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 18:08 

With Bioshock 1 and 2 both ending up vert- with a stretched HUD this comes as no shock, since it seems like they haven't cared about us in a while. Still, for them to slap us in the face now kind of sucks as Bioshock Infinite looks moderately interesting.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 01:23 
Insiders
Insiders

With each console generation, I wonder why publishers get more hostile toward the PC

More than a couple have explicitly blamed PC piracy for hurting their overall profits. And frankly, it's the only explanation I've heard that makes sense.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 03:37 

Maybe they shouldn't make PC games? Or wait until the console sales taper off and throw out a quick port?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 04:16 

With each console generation, I wonder why publishers get more hostile toward the PC

More than a couple have explicitly blamed PC piracy for hurting their overall profits. And frankly, it's the only explanation I've heard that makes sense.

I wouldn't say piracy, I would say poor sales. Piracy is a factor in that sure but its far from the sole cause of poor sales.

I'd say the number one problem is just PC gamers attitude. The fact that we question the quality of almost all games where as console gamers buy what ever the latest and greatest thing is every time.

I see "Why should I play that [new game] when I could be playing this [older game]?" thrown around so often on here. Far far far less often around console gamers.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 05:22 
Insiders
Insiders

PC gamers have pretty much always had that attitude. It didn't stop developers from focusing on the PC and making some of the greatest games of all time, back around ten years ago.

And I hardly ever see that said about old games, though I wish I did. I mean, old games have to be practically given away in order to get PC gamers to buy them.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 05:24 

[quote]

I wouldn't say piracy, I would say poor sales. Piracy is a factor in that sure but its far from the sole cause of poor sales.

I'd say the number one problem is just PC gamers attitude. The fact that we question the quality of almost all games where as console gamers buy what ever the latest and greatest thing is every time.

I see "Why should I play that [new game] when I could be playing this [older game]?" thrown around so often on here. Far far far less often around console gamers.

Yes.

And the picky nature of PC gamers also contributes to piracy, as so many people won't buy a game unless it is damn near perfect. Go to dedicated sites for certain genres, sim forums, RPG forums, etc... you would think those people would be the ones buying every game in their genre, but instead they are pessimistic and dismissive, not buying anything until it is proven (through pirating a copy or otherwise) that the game is near flawless and shows no signs of ever being on a console.