Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 05:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 17:47 

Got this game a few days ago and have put in several long sessions already. I love the fact that tactics and position play a bigger roll than straight up fire power (though it does help). I also like having the ability to pick up weapons in the squad, completely changing the ability of that squad. Going from all rifleman to Bazookas, MGs and Mortar teams makes the game much more strategic as you try and dig those pesky germans out of their MG nests!

I also love strategy games that allow you to PAUSE and issue commands. Being able to pause and issue 3 different squads to strike 3 different points simultanously is fantastic.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 19:06 

I got my copy yesterday but didn't have much time to play it (birthday and stuff :))

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CTRLSTEEF :D :cheers

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 19:07 

Shows how good I am at the moment, I didn't know you could pause it to issue commands! :oops:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 19:54 

You can jump???

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 22:06 
Editors
Editors

[quote]I got my copy yesterday but didn't have much time to play it (birthday and stuff :))

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CTRLSTEEF :D :cheers
Lol, thanks mate :D

Shows how good I am at the moment, I didn't know you could pause it to issue commands!

Yeah, really handy in "overkrauted" situations :lol:

You can jump???

Jump? It's an RTS mate :wink:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 23:04 

Im managing to play it at 1680x1050 on my 6600GT, not the best looking, but still really fun!
Im installing the patch now, hopefully it will help a bit.

It is an exellent game! One of the best in a while. I do remember reading something about the FPS component when it was first being showcased, something about being able to command any unit in an FPS perspective?

That would have been absolutly AMAZING!

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 23:23 

The patch made a huge difference for me as it fixed the SLI issue that was blighting the game.

Been playing more campaign tonight and I love it, takes bloody ages to complete a level properly, but every step of the way its good fun - got to use some tanks tonight - they really blow sh*t up!! :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 08:32 
Editors
Editors

I played the second level yesterday where you have to set an ambush for the krauts.
I really overwhelmed them, 6 lines of mines, 2 artillery guns, 2 bunkers occupied and some mortars. They really had no chance. :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 14:30 

This game wins.
i think im on the 4th level or something.[the one where you have to clear one of the roads - the road has a fork] the one before that was damn hard though.
got mortar'd to bits.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 15:21 

ctrlsteef, I had a similar setup for that incoming convoy as well. Was actually a nice touch though to the map since most of it was spent digging out the Germans to be able to use those bunkers against them. I unfortunately had blown up the AA gun in the main bunker so I couldn't utilize it but with 2 artilery guns, 2 mortar teams, 2 bazooka teams and 3 MGs all covering the road it didn't make much of a differnce. :)

I'm slowly progressing through Carantan now. LOVE the sniper. I've been using his camoflauge ability to get him into position and while he forces the Germans into temporary retreat I use that to advance my MGs. So when they attempt to storm his position they are met with a hail of machine gun fire and mortars.

I also really like the reduced resource management. Since the only way to gain additional resources is to capture points it makes it more interesting to capture and keep those points. One of the coolest battles I had so far was when the Germans surprised the heck out of me with a massive counter attack on one of the Carantan resource points. I held out but suffered some serious casualties. Was just this completely chaotic battle that lasted for what seemed like forever as most of my team was pinned down in bad positions. Mortar team saved the day again though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next