Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 00:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2006, 17:42 

I've hit a stalmate on Cherbough (spelling?).

I took the entire left side with no problems. I've setup my base of operations and started to cross the bridge... When all hell broke loose! The Axis have quite the setup on the other side! I walked into mortars, AC and MG fire, not to mention two tanks that hold their position instead of trying to chase me back across the bridge. I lost 1 Sherman in the initial push and have had to retreat several times for fear of losing more units. The Axis did try to cross and counter attack a few times but I have an MG nest, MG gunner and an upgraded Half Track on my side for just such an occasion. My issue is I cannot make any headway into their turf against this setup they have and they've seemed to stop trying to push onto my side. Before my Shermans even get in range they've already taken decent damage from the AC and mortar rounds and then once in range the Axis tanks start tacking on more damage. I tried using the tanks as shield and getting some infantry into the house close by to keep SOMETHING busy while I advanced but they seem to focus on the tanks and if I lose my shermans there's nothing to stop THEIR tanks from just rolling over the rest of my army.

Any ideas? I love a good challenge in a game but getting a bit frustrated on this one.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2006, 18:26 
Editors
Editors

damn, can't remember what level it is exactly, is it the one with just one bridge and the big cannon on the far north side of the left piece of land?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2006, 19:42 

Yes, you cross the one bridge after taking out the large gun at the top of the map. I believe it's called Cherbough. I could be wrong though.

I did finally make it past here and in doing so showed how limited my initial strategy was. I was attempting to just shove the Shermans down their throat and it obviously wasn't working. It took a combined effort to dig them out and the end result of the planning was the best few minutes of gaming on CoH yet!

I camo'd my Sniper and put on his HOLD FIRE. I moved my 2 mortar teams as close to the bridge as possible without blocking the road. I lined my shermans up on my side of the bridge for a quick push into their turf. I then inched my Sniper across careful not to get too close to their infantry that would un-hide him. When I could see most of their defense I paused the game. I issued the Mortart teams to use their Smoke canisters on the left and middle of the map and called in the 200 Howitzer strike on the right side. I unpaused and waited a sec for all that to start happening and then started rolling my tanks in. The Howitzer strike leveled the ATC guns and badly damaged 1 tank. The smoke provided great cover and I took their side with very little damage to my units. Once the Shermans took out the heavy stuff I rolled my 2 half tracks in and took the point. Once I established my defenses there (MG nests, made the house closest to the river an HQ) I moved on and utilized a similar strategy throughout the map, using the sniper to find the ATC and Axis mortar teams. Worked very well. :)

Just goes to show you how in-depth the game can be. I was trying to just bully my way through with the tanks and put little thought into any strategy. Once I utilized my entire arsenal taking the bridge was cake.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2006, 20:45 
Editors
Editors

The thing i did is I just leveled everything on the other side of the bridge at first with some mortar bombardments. Then moved my Shermans and Rangers in and split the north side from the south and installed my defenses to the north. Then i just moved on south and took over all points there. Installed a HQ there and build some more defenses and moved on north. pretty cool thing is when you have taken over the dock you can install mortar teams there really well to cover the east dock. After that just move on north and destroy everything on your path. :D

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 00:12 

Cherbourg I found a lot easier than that one where you have to defend Dog Company. I created a number of Mortars and then sent them right up next to the river, sent over a camo'd sniper to work out where the enemy troops were holed up and then bombarded them with sustained mortar fire!

Just work step by step, it was quite simple but I played quite defensively!

Also, I made the mistake of not having anywhere to build a tank / motor pool and had to make do with my initial tanks being followed up after every minor scrape by the engineers!

God damn I love this friggin' game! :D

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 00:51 

Yeah, the Camo'd sniper is a great tactic for finding out what you're getting into. I'm still on the Rocket Base map but only because I haven't had much time to play lately. My little girl has discovered her mobility so keeping up with her has been wearing Daddy out! :P

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 15:06 

Just done the Rocket Base Level, Time consuming, but an easy level once you get past the whole 'entrance to the base thing'...

Looking forward to the next level, don't even know what it is yet! :?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 15:41 

Hey guys I read through this post and this game sounds awsome.I have one question.Wil my machine run it decently.

Dell 2.8 proccesor
1.5 gig memory
800x PRO grafix card

Is this game downloadable or can you buy the disk some where
Thanks

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 19:33 

Given the difficulty of some of the missions I was surprised how easy the Rocket map was as well. I setup a pretty decent defensive perimiter at the entrance and once captured the Axis never even came close to getting it back. From there I just grabbed all the mortars as I came across them and would bombard area after area and then roll in the troops. Same with St. Lo. Once I had my tanks in place the Axis assault wasn't too bad. Definitely took way more damage on that map then Rocket but still, was able to complete that map in one shot.

Now Hill 182 is a different story... I'm 40 mins in and not even close to getting to that hill which makes me think I'm going to have to start over. Although admittedly when I started building my base I didn't realize there would be a time limit. Knowing that now I wouldn't have built anything but what I would absolutely need. Very hard map though. Any tips from those of you who have completed it?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 19:48 
Editors
Editors

It's not an absolute time limit, you just get a medal when you can manage to make it before that time but you can still continue playing after you passed that limit. :wink:
Anyway, it indeed is a really difficult level, i haven't manage to make it yet either. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next