Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 06:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 02:16 

i'm about to install windows X64 (would prefer to keep XP but i have a 64-bit 3D app which needs many GB ram). anyway i won't be able to play joint ops anymore as i've read punkbuster doesn't work with X64, and read on their site they don't support joint ops anymore anyway.

quite sad as i found joint ops to be one of the more fun online games, never really got into the BF2 demo, just seems like it takes too long to shoot down a soldier, maybe i'll check out the demo again in case i was drunk at the time :) but i liked it in joint ops how you could plug someone with a couple of bullets.

i'm totally out of the loop with the FPS games but am looking for a multiplayer replacement which will have 2 main things - obviously no issues with X64, and this includes punkbuster if it uses that online (i have an AMDX2 and 7800GTX). must also have widescreen support, don't mind if the overlay/hud is stretched but the game must not be, joint ops did not have widescreen support so another good reason to upgrade (i have a dell 2405FPW).

any recommendations would be great and i'll check out the demos :)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2006, 13:34 
Founder
Founder

add a second drive or partition your drive & select which O/S to boot with??

you could have the best of both worlds :D

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006, 01:27 

so i have 2 drives and as it happens 2 OS licences (XP and X64), but the problem is i wouldn't be able to access the other drive once one had booted would i...? if that's the case i'd have to buy another drive to get enough space for the X64 OS, i don't like the idea of partitioning.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006, 08:25 

I have regular and 64-bit XP on different drives - no problems during boot. I don't actually see a noticeable improvement in framerate when games are run on the x64 partition (namely because they're still 32-bit programs).

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006, 15:43 

Why bother with two drives? Just install both to one drive.

My system is set up this way:

C:WINDOWS (32-bit Windows XP Pro)
C:WINDOWSX (x64 Windows XP Pro)

During boot up, there is an OS selector with 7 second timeout. Defaulted to x64 of course.

It's very easy and works very well.