Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 18:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 13:18 

[quote]Seriously, TRY CALL OF JUAREZ!

Im waiting for next gen video cards before i pick that up, it doesnt look very good without DX10, and with DX10 on my current card it chugs.

I don't know, I have only played it under XP and it looks fine to me.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 13:36 

Downloading Call of Juerz demo as we speak.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 14:00 
Editors
Editors

Keep meaning to try that myself...

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 14:50 
Editors
Editors

Call of Juarez was awesome and should have got more advertising and press space.
They've recently released a HUGE patch which redesigns some of the levels to make it better, changing certain annoyances in some of the stealth sections and generally making the game even better, and it was fantastic before.

I don't know what you mean about it looking rubbish non-DX10 either. I thought it looked fabulous and was so shocked to see such a good looking game that was so under-advertised. It was the first game i played which incorporated depth of field too.

On which FPS to try, i haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has already been mentioned, but make sure you've played the original Max Payne. OK, fine, it's not an FPS, but it should be played anyway. My favourite game of all time I think.

Also, try the original Red Faction. Play Mafia too (third person). XIII was mentioned somewhere too. Brilliant game, it looks fantastic and plays brilliantly too. Not many games have got the feel of weapons so right, and it's all cell shaded! A big achievement i think.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 16:39 

If you hate FEAR, maybe you should err on the RPG side instead of the FPS side. Deus Ex is an awesome combination of the two, but yes they are rare.

How about the Bioware titles? Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect...

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 22:29 

How about the Bioware titles? Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect...

...or Tron 2.0... ha ha! okay I'll shut up.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 01:19 

You guys have me wanting to try Call of Juarez, just DLed the demo. I noticed there's a Tweakguide for it too. Mafia was kinda fun, and fairly realistic in that your car could get damaged, run out of fuel, etc. You also had to be careful how you drive when near cops. The race was pathetic though because the car was too hard to handle. The Godfather is not bad too. I heard Mafia 2 got scrapped, but word is they may be planning something new and improved.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 10:44 

I just played through the Demo for Call of Juarez (pronounced Waa-rez) and I must say it was very fresh and actually exciting. I love the whole western feel. The graphics were not that wizbang, but the "focus blurr" or whatever you call it was AWSOME, you put your cross hairs on something close and teh background blurrs very good, and viesi versa.

I might have to buy it if I can find a place online to get it.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 12:59 

I just played through the Demo for Call of Juarez (pronounced Waa-rez) and I must say it was very fresh and actually exciting. I love the whole western feel. The graphics were not that wizbang, but the "focus blurr" or whatever you call it was AWSOME, you put your cross hairs on something close and teh background blurrs very good, and viesi versa.

I might have to buy it if I can find a place online to get it.

You are welcome :-p

You can get it from Steam.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 14:13 

I just finished the demo too and for the most part liked the gameplay. I didn't try the bible banging way of killin though, sounds too easy. To tell you the truth I really don't care for the slow mo quick draw either. The twin crosshairs converging just doesn't make sense to me, is too scripted, and wastes ammo.

I found myself thinking more about where I was going to take cover and methodically headshoot them from after the slow mo was drained. I didn't like the crosshairs only shootouts either, but on Hard they are one of the more challenging parts of the game. I kept wanting to see the gun in my hand for the shootouts and the slow mo thing. The way they do it it reminds me of those dime a dozen net ads that try to get you to shoot a mock up of a celebrity via a moving crosshair.

The fun in this game to me is devising ways of taking cover, planning gun swaps before they blow up in your face, and picking right or left gun while zoomed to pick off their heads around building corners and crates. It's kinda cool that you HL puzzle your way through too. I also liked the horse riding and Billy's whip and bow and shooting from atop a horse at a distance. Did they have to make even the bow slow mo aim though? It's clearly overdone in this game.

One thing I thought was weird is the way you get black bars top and bottom of the screen but part of the HUD extends all the up/way down as if they couldn't decide what aspect ratio they wanted to use. It's also a bit strange that the FPS hovers close to 30 FPS on my X1950Pro, which is well above rec spec, whether I'm at 1280x960 or 1600x1200.

I read the retail version has performance patches though. Can anyone confirm if you get smoother performance and/or higher frame rates with the patch vs the demo? I read the Tweakguide and tried some adjustments but if you remove HDR via the Simple command for post processing, it makes the rivers go black and the image quality too bland. It's too cartoonishly glowy and glarey with the HDR and too plain without it IMO.

Gamespot, whom I usuially trust for reviews, rates Gun higher than this game, but the graphics look pretty bad to me in Gun, sorta like a value game. I may get this one, esp if the patched version plays better than the demo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next