Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 11:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 07:26 

CS / CS:source to me shows at least one point:

Create a proper remake instead of a sequel and you'll get close to if not better success than the original.

Example, I'd welcome a remake using bleeding edge textures/models/whatever of games such as anachronox or chrono trigger or fallout (though that last one has a sequel on the way, it looks to be 1st person which ruins it for me).

I'd take em easily over the countless ww2 repeats and space sims lookalikes they keep churning out.

The point is, you don't need a new game to get me to move from the old one, if you can't make a new one that's better, take a good old one and remake it with benefit from current day cpu/gpu power.

It's a shame that most fan remakes of the sort more often then not are condemned by the companies that made the original. Bashing your fans ain't gonna fetch you any sales on future products, sequel, remake or otherwise.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 07:38 

CS / CS:source to me shows at least one point:

Create a proper remake instead of a sequel and you'll get close to if not better success than the original.

Example, I'd welcome a remake using bleeding edge textures/models/whatever of games such as anachronox or chrono trigger or fallout (though that last one has a sequel on the way, it looks to be 1st person which ruins it for me).

I'd take em easily over the countless ww2 repeats and space sims lookalikes they keep churning out.

The point is, you don't need a new game to get me to move from the old one, if you can't make a new one that's better, take a good old one and remake it with benefit from current day cpu/gpu power.

It's a shame that most fan remakes of the sort more often then not are condemned by the companies that made the original. Bashing your fans ain't gonna fetch you any sales on future products, sequel, remake or otherwise.

/thumbs up

If I had the time and the games I would remake one game's content into another in the form of a mod. Game Studios complaining and sending scary letters?

LOL. Not the first time they've done that to me about stuff I've done that's on the fence of what many people consider "Legal". In my experience thus far, they haven't been willing to take it to a court. Methinks they aren't interesting enough in getting a legal team together and spending all that money just to stop some guy making enjoyment for a couple hundred people with no profit attached.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 16:35 

I don't think your picking the correct game to be praising then, its generally acknowledged that the original CS is far better gameplay wise than Source.
The general age group that plays source (hop on and you will notice quite fast) is in the range of 13-16 kids that think graphics > gameplay or they are just to young to have played 1.6 and they dont realize what they are missing.

I highly highly highly! - recommend checking out Bionic Commando Rearmed. Best remake that I've ever played - ever.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 17:29 

My point was to take a game and remake the gfx/sound without touching much of the actual gameplay.

How many play the original or cs:source is utterly irrelevant to me, I consider both games to be useless, they're multiplayer.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 20:03 

don't forget TF2 falls in #3!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 05:22 

don't forget TF2 falls in #3!

TF2 falls in #1 for me :)

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 05:25 

[quote]don't forget TF2 falls in #3!

TF2 falls in #1 for me :)
Seconded to the nth percent!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 07:11 
Editors
Editors

Spore DRM lawsuit
Even if the end result is just further PR thrashing, I'm glad someone made the complaint 'official'.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 08:48 

http://news.softpedia.com/news/EA-Admits-Pirated-Copies-Do-Not-Equal-Lost-Sales-94516.shtml

EA sees the light?

Thats defiantly the best way to look at piracy. Reward the consumer.

I will go on record right now as a rather hardcore pirate I am MUCH more likely to buy a game if it has content which I would enjoy that is inaccessible to me.
For example if spore's online was a Real Time MMO... I would have been way more interested.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 09:09 
Editors
Editors

http://news.softpedia.com/news/EA-Admits-Pirated-Copies-Do-Not-Equal-Lost-Sales-94516.shtml

EA sees the light?

That is encouraging news. And this right here is the key to the entire issue:
"... the company is getting ready to shift its approach so that it rewards the customer rather than punishing everyone for the sins of pirates."

Paying customers deserve to be treated like gold--with respect and courtesy. This is how businesses of all sorts thrive, and game companies can as well. I hope whoever at EA is leading this change will continue to push the company toward valuing its customers--if it keeps going in the right direction they'll be earning my dollars.

Thanks for the link.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next