Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 23:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Well. That sure showed me!

But nwo I'm a little scared. The list of games that dev has done is pretty lackluster. But i guess you have to start somewhere, right?

PC
Fuel
Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties
Grand Raid Offroad
Sitting Ducks
Special Forces: Nemesis Strike
WALL-E

PlayStation 2
Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties
Sitting Ducks
Super Farm
The Mummy: The Animated Series
WALL-E

PlayStation 3
Fuel

Xbox
Grand Raid Offroad
Sitting Ducks

Xbox 360
Fuel
Grand Raid Offroad

sorry, not tryign to pull the thread off track.

..no pun intended.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 00:10 

Yeah, that's why the screenshots of FUEL don't look quite as good as those of DiRT and GRID. In all fairness though, I played WALL-E, and while short and kid-like, it was entertaining. I actually liked it better than the movie.

With the huge success of both DiRT and GRID, I certainly hope Codies will make more installments of both those games. I read about a DiRT 2, but I'm not sure after Colin's death if they plan to go through with it or not.

No worries about OT, here. Anything about Shift is largely speculation at this point and there is very little info on it so far, thus not much to talk about yet. :wink:

(EDITED)
Just found this, there's going to be a DiRT 2 after all, WOOT!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46137.html

I also found this info about a DLC package for GRID. It's not quite what I was hoping for, but maybe there will be a GRID 2 eventually as well. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56214

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 09:27 

Actually FUEL is being made by Asobo Studio in France, not Codemasters like DiRT and GRID were. Codies are just the publishers.

That explains alot, DiRT2 and FUEL come out rather close to each other. I'm pretty sure its a common misconception that its codies them self thats making fuel.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 22:13 

I'm pretty sure its a common misconception that its codies them self thats making fuel.
Well I was doubtful of it first time I saw the screenshots. It's obviously not as good graphically as DiRT or GRID. Conversely when I saw the screens of Shift I was blown away, wondering if maybe they had Codemasters doing the developing. Blimey! Games has come a long way with their graphics. I just hope it will be as well optimized as GRID. NFS titles haven't been well known for that.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009, 14:19 

looks nice man. I've played every nfs game for those who don't remember it's a pretty long list.

The Need for Speed (1994)
Need for Speed II (1997)
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (2000)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
Need for Speed: Carbon (2006)
Need for Speed: ProStreet (2007)
Need for Speed: Undercover (2008)

I can't wait till the next installment. Porseche Unleashed, Underground 2, Carbon and Most Wanted have been the cream.

How could you forget the wonderful Need for Speed: Road Challenge...
(the one between Hot Pursuit and Porsche Unleashed). I'm still playing that right now..

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 07:49 
Editors
Editors

[quote]looks nice man. I've played every nfs game for those who don't remember it's a pretty long list.

Need for Speed II (1997)

I can't wait till the next installment. Porseche Unleashed, Underground 2, Carbon and Most Wanted have been the cream.

(the one between Hot Pursuit and Porsche Unleashed). I'm still playing that right now..

wow.... I fully forgot, I went off all the ones I owned and never had that one.... but played it and loved it. nice post.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 02:18 

OK, time to get back OT! I just saw this new Shift teaser. It has actual gameplay footage unlike some teasers, but they definitely chopped the heck out of it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47022.html

Downloads:

Quicktime
http://www.gametrailers.com/download/47022/t_nfsshift_debut_ts_h264.mov

WMV
http://www.gametrailers.com/download/47022/t_nfsshift_debut_ts_h264.wmv

It has some nice footage, but why they chose to ridiculously chop it up with that horrendous blackout effect is beyond me. It literally ruined an otherwise perfectly good clip. To be honest though, I was skeptical that it wouldn't show any actual gameplay when I read the word teaser. I downloaded the GameTrailers HD version and edited out the blackouts just to view it less cluttered with crap.

I hope the style of the teaser is not an indication they will have player blackout effects in the game. Hopefully it's just stupid teaser fluff. Of what little chopped up play they did show though, it looks mighty good, but BO effects, esp if you couldn't turn it off, would be very annoying. In fact I hope you can turn off blur effects, never did much like them. Maybe they'll even make the head swing adjustable or removable, much like head bob is in some shooters. I'd also like to see non cockpit view options.

I know that all sounds much less realistic to many, but you can never duplicate true real life perspective onscreen. You invariably always have trade offs that limit your perspective more than it would be in real life. I have to admit though, being able to turn your head a full 180 degrees while in cockpit view is pretty cool, IF it's usable via mouse that is. For wheel users they're definitely going to need to have TrackIR support though.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 05:21 

[quote]looks nice man. I've played every nfs game for those who don't remember it's a pretty long list.

Need for Speed II (1997)

Pretty sure you mean "High Stakes"

EDIT: MAherie, you missed a game! and a good one.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009, 22:20 

More good news about Shift, this time from some players whom have previewed the gameplay at the Need for Speed Community Day event.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/46543.page

What I'm most excited about are these words from one of them whom sampled it on KB.

Forum member question:

1. With Shift being a full on simulation game, will people who use a keyboard and/or joystick be able to enjoy this game without spinning out of control?

KB previewer's answer

as torque mentioned before, I did actually try the game with keyboard. I don't like controllers, I only use them once a year: during Need for Speed community days

so: yes, you will be able to enjoy this game using keyboard. absolutely. the cars are still very drivable, no spinning out of control, nothing like that. during the Community Day, there was a little competition between us on a racetrack with the Audi RS4: the best laptime wins! so, the winner did some 0:50.little with controllers - my best laptime with keyboard was 0:51.09 (I clearly remember this one).

so you can definitely play this game with keyboard, if you prefer to do so.

I have asked this previewer more questions on the subject of car handling in the same thread and am awaiting reply. I mainly wanted to know how the handling in general compares to GRID, if there are driver assists, and if you can fine tune steering and braking saturation, linearity, etc. I also asked all previewers if the blur, head swing and driver blackout effects can be turned off.

Those wanting Shift to play like a hardcore SIM may be skeptical about the above reply, but if the game has driver assists and he had them on, it may still serve a broad range of racing skill levels.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 11:56 

OK, time to get back OT! I just saw this new Shift teaser. It has actual gameplay footage unlike some teasers, but they definitely chopped the heck out of it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47022.html

Downloads:

Quicktime
http://www.gametrailers.com/download/47022/t_nfsshift_debut_ts_h264.mov

WMV
http://www.gametrailers.com/download/47022/t_nfsshift_debut_ts_h264.wmv

It has some nice footage, but why they chose to ridiculously chop it up with that horrendous blackout effect is beyond me. It literally ruined an otherwise perfectly good clip. To be honest though, I was skeptical that it wouldn't show any actual gameplay when I read the word teaser. I downloaded the GameTrailers HD version and edited out the blackouts just to view it less cluttered with crap.

I hope the style of the teaser is not an indication they will have player blackout effects in the game. Hopefully it's just stupid teaser fluff. Of what little chopped up play they did show though, it looks mighty good, but BO effects, esp if you couldn't turn it off, would be very annoying. In fact I hope you can turn off blur effects, never did much like them. Maybe they'll even make the head swing adjustable or removable, much like head bob is in some shooters. I'd also like to see non cockpit view options.

I know that all sounds much less realistic to many, but you can never duplicate true real life perspective onscreen. You invariably always have trade offs that limit your perspective more than it would be in real life. I have to admit though, being able to turn your head a full 180 degrees while in cockpit view is pretty cool, IF it's usable via mouse that is. For wheel users they're definitely going to need to have TrackIR support though.

Ooo... who wants to buy me Shift for my BDay? 22.09.09 :)