Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 10:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Left 4 Dead 2?
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 07:56 
Insiders
Insiders

This is a dickhead move...

/Agree.

I was leery of buying this game at first when I saw it would only have 4 co-op campaigns that lasted about an hour each. That just isn't very much game. Even counting versus in there, still not much game.

Before the game was released we were told the update plans were similar to the CSS/DoD/TF2 example. Based on this I bought the game. Based on this I enjoyed what little game there was while waiting for updates. And then the L4D2 announcement happened.

Valve indications (Gabe Newell, himself right?) about the update plans before release were by no means Commandments set in stone. But to say one thing, and do almost exactly the opposite? This is definitive of the proverbial "dick move".

As a business model, it makes sense. Roster update '## has been making EA money for more than a decade. So why shouldn't Valve get on board the money train?

It doesn't matter if a lot of people are pissed, gamers have already voted with their wallets, and they voted "yes" to this sort of thing.

Afterthought: Not to mention, the real betrayal here was that Half Life 2: Episode 3 wasn't even mentioned at E3.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 13:41 
Editors
Editors

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/06/08/fans-boycott-left-4-dead-2/1

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott

Seems like there are more than just a few who feel the same way as Twig, Soduka and myself. Although I'm not so much 'Valve are being dicks' as 'Valve have been seduced by money'. Other than the fact that I'm not going to buy L4D2... I couldn't give a toss one way or the other.

edit: Valve are also apparently deleting threads and banning people on their forums. Now, I'm fairly sure that most of those being banned are probably being quite rude... but as Bioware already proved a few weeks ago... one badly handled PR issue will get blown out of all proportion on the internet. Not talking about an issue doesn't make it go away. For that matter, talking about it doesn't make it go away either... but it's a first step in sorting the problem.

edit 2: Hang on... when did I break 10,000 posts? :shock:

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 19:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Valve are also apparently deleting threads and banning people on their forums.

Valve and the Steam Forum Moderators are a totally different group of people. And some of those moderators are pretty heavy handed. So the deletion and banning is probably not the doing of Valve as a game studio.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 20:02 
Editors
Editors

Valve and the Steam Forum Moderators are a totally different group of people. And some of those moderators are pretty heavy handed. So the deletion and banning is probably not the doing of Valve as a game studio.

OK. Makes sense. However, it still reflects poorly on Valve if moderators associated to them are being... overzealous.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 20:20 
Insiders
Insiders

OK. Makes sense. However, it still reflects poorly on Valve if moderators associated to them are being... overzealous.

Off course it does. But it is almost impossible to prevent without frequent meetings between Valve and the forum mods, which is ridiculous.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 20:20 

[quote]Valve are also apparently deleting threads and banning people on their forums.

Yep they have a few hundred moderators, its a non paying job (rightfully so I suppose, they have over 25million potential forum goers.) They don't have actual representatives like say Blizzard does, whose jobs are to basically only sit on the forums.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 23:55 

[quote]This is a dickhead move...

Afterthought: Not to mention, the real betrayal here was that Half Life 2: Episode 3 wasn't even mentioned at E3.

Now the one game that would bring me back...HL2 EP3 needs to come out asap. L4D can suck it...I want more of the true series that still has good plot.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 02:42 

I want a new hack-free CS.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 04:52 

I want a new hack-free CS.

As much as I would love it, I really think they should just wait until after HL2:Episode 3 comes out, and provide CS2 alongside Half-Life 3 with a new engine.

Like really whats the point of creating a new CS on source when you could just upgrade CS:S to source2007, and fix it up abit?

I would love if they made a direct port onto their new engine. like 1:1 direct, nothing changed movement, gameplay ect

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 18:19 
Editors
Editors

Considering I found L4D to get boring pretty fast, I was already hesitant about LFD2.

I watched several trailers and things and now I am really bewildered. Its all the same enemy types, many of the same sound effects, its like L4D exactly almost.

Changing the character cast, adding some new weapons, and changing the stages doesnt make it a new game. Considering the first one got boring fast I feel this one would get boring even faster.

It also has the TF2 like graphics that are not nearly as dark and gritty looking as the original and that works against the game.

Plus what the heck is up with the cast of characters...

I am not going to get this game unless its on like super sale or somebody gives it to me. Id be more prone to spend $20 on Killing Floor.