Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 12:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:13 

not having server side code when you have client side code
or not having server side code when there is (almost)no client side code (which is the case you're talking about)
is exactly the same thing.

Sure it could be a bit harder to get ...

WoW client is not enough to run a private server, sure it helps but it's not enough, you need server code too ...

that's how I see it anyway, no need to get into yelling :wink:

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:57 

not having server side code when you have client side code
or not having server side code when there is (almost)no client side code (which is the case you're talking about)
is exactly the same thing.

Sure it could be a bit harder to get ...

WoW client is not enough to run a private server, sure it helps but it's not enough, you need server code too ...

that's how I see it anyway, no need to get into yelling :wink:

The wow servers are emulated by watching packets. Games EXCLUSIVELY rented on services like OneLive would be impossible to emulate because we would never even see the server -> client packets we would just get basically a video stream. Not to mention that we would not even have the client.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 00:40 

Hell, I don't get why they just don't stop selling the game completely, and only sell CD Keys in boxes.

Then, when you get home to log in to their website, put the key in and it downloads a small package that hooks you up to their servers, where the game actually is. Then, you just play the game over the Internet on their computers, using yours as a proxy.

Pirating is then 99% impossible.

Wonder what'll happen to those when they omit to print the key like quite a few have done already.

Besides, wouldn't it be simpler to forgo keys entirely?

Just Sell a usb connected blood sample taker that makes up a unique identifier for everyone that wants to purchase the game. Once you've bought the hardware you just log on buy a game and give a sample. No more boxes, no more keys, no more installs, just become slave to your EA overlord.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 23:50 

Just Sell a usb connected blood sample taker that makes up a unique identifier for everyone that wants to purchase the game. Once you've bought the hardware you just log on buy a game and give a sample. No more boxes, no more keys, no more installs, just become slave to your EA overlord.

Biometric game accounts. I could live with that.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 14:34 
Editors
Editors

Christ I hope no one from EA is reading this thread.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 15:25 

biometric is in the end just data hence just a key albeit a bit more complex ...

Anyway, it's not possible at the moment due to how few people on a worldwide scale got such equipment ...

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 16:33 

Haha but our genes are already patented by random companies and not ours anyway.... so... sucks to be us.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 17:26 

Despite my general "meh" attitude toward DRM, this particular plan scares me for a couple reasons.

1. EA tends to shut down their online support for old games. I imagine they will patch C&C4 before they do so in order to allow offline play, but they are under no requirement to do so, which bothers me.

2. While in this one case not playing the game if my Internet goes out, or when I move, is no big deal, imagine if this is successful and becomes the new standard. Eventually we will have no games to play when our Internet doesn't work, which would be horrible. (Of course, we are probably headed toward a nation wide wireless constant Internet, so it will be a moot point, but that is decades away).

The comments about EA being evil for this are silly though... these companies research things and then try ideas, and no one can blame them for trying to curb the piracy that infects PC gaming and damages it, if not sales wise then image wise. I'm sure they looked at WoW and said to themselves "hey, 10 million people play that crap and you have to be online at all times... why don't we try that?"

If it fails they will stop it, if it succeeds they will have found an anti-piracy solution the majority accept and will be pleased, even if YOU personally don't like it.

Time will tell, I suppose.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 12:48 
Editors
Editors

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/08/12/command-and-conquer-4-preview/1

Bit Tech have a preview of C&C4.

Gotta say, I'm neutral about the gameplay itself (it sounds like it should be fun) but it's probably gonna suck in practice.

However, the bit about it being the last C&C... man, they're gonna leave that series with so many plotholes you'll be able to drive a planet through 'em...

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 07:41 

At the same time though, Electronic Arts still thinks it can cater to the hardcore audience by harnessing new methods of storytelling and doing away with some of the stalwarts of the C&C universe. Those static-camera FMVs and long rambling monologues issued to your silent protagonist are now going to be a thing of the past, for instance.

Even Kane, played by Joe Kucan, is being done away with in a manner of speaking – EA has given the startling announcement that Command and Conquer 4 will be the final game in the Tiberium storyline and that it’ll wrap up the story good and proper.

Since when did "cater to" translate to devour? EA must run an interesting catering service. I feel like they're trying to make the last Command and Conquer game everything I didn't hope for. Maybe more people would like Kane's Wrath if the fixed the desync error with scrin air... I don't think i can justify buying this game.