Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 12:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 22:51 

Who's to say that these are simply disgruntled customers who chose not to buy this particular game because of the DRM but still have some say from a patronage standpoint as to what Ubisoft should do with their games (in a sick/twisted sort of way, and this isn't the way to go about it).

Maybe they are Chelsea fans as all the Ubi servers are currently down again.

EDIT - And up.

And down.

And up.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 10:55 
Editors
Editors

Dem Pyros - Silent Hunter, yeah. Never played them, though. :)

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 21:59 

I think there's something wrong in those last couple of pages...

Whatever everyone's (on this forum) opinion is, everyone seems to just assume that :
"a bunch of pirate robbers are the ones behind the attack on ubi servers"

I don't think so... why ? because the so-called pirates who steal games rarely do their own cracks, plus crackers are not always hackers .... and finally making up a decent DDOS attack needs a bit more technical knowledge than most have ...

so the reality in my opinion is : a bunch of hackers decided to attack ubisoft servers, and that's IF the attack is real at all, after all it could be a cover up to prevent having to concede that yet again they failed to accurately predict demand/workload, and failed to deliver ....

I'm not saying they lied, just that it's a possibility that someone at some point did not say the truth...

I'll also add that people are making viruses, people are sending spam emails...
that's the reality... the worst threat against humans are humans... most see what happens out their window and stop at that ...

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 23:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Ah. Good news! ( no, not really)

Splinter Cell: Conviction is to have the same shit: http://n4g.com/pc/News-493138.aspx

Though I'm not at all excited about the game after watching some gameplay videos and trying to suffer through Double Agent.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 23:29 
Editors
Editors

Splinter Cell died after Chaos Theory...

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 04:05 

Here's my idea for DRM, definitely less intrusive:

Every copy of the game comes with a dongle, but not just any dongle. This dongle is a pistol, and what you do is load it and connect the usb wire to your computer and put the disc in. It then mounts to your desk and, during installation, you must keep your mouth over the muzzle.

Periodically the game will ask you to repeat this procedure to start your game.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 07:52 

I love Tanuki's rants... the game has worked perfectly for me, and it is actually stopping piracy so far, so I have few complaints, but I understand where he is coming from.

I read that Steam post by Furyo of Ubisoft myself about Ubi making no money on PC, which I think must be a relatively recent thing or else they would not still be supporting the platform. I would assume their PC revenue dried up the last few years and they are seeing with this DRM if piracy is completely to blame for that. Of course, the DRM might drive as many away as it drives pirates to a store, so... who knows.

When I put my conspiracy hat on I wonder if the PC arm of Ubisoft's main mission right now is to make new console gamers.

And personally I think its Ubi's meh PC ports since the 360 came around and the 360's general popularity that cut into their PC revenue more than piracy anyway.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 17:18 

Here's my idea for DRM, definitely less intrusive:

Every copy of the game comes with a dongle, but not just any dongle. This dongle is a pistol, and what you do is load it and connect the usb wire to your computer and put the disc in. It then mounts to your desk and, during installation, you must keep your mouth over the muzzle.

Periodically the game will ask you to repeat this procedure to start your game.

woops it seems a bug in the code crept in, ho what ? you're dead already ? ho really too bad for you but at least we successfully protected our game so you died for a noble cause .... :doh :roll:

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 17:38 

I wonder why companies assume that unsuccessful pirates are going to buy anything at all ...
if a robber can't steal a TV, will he buy it instead ? well he might just buy a lower end TV because he don't have the money for the one he wanted to steal ...

same shit with games ..., can't have one... get another, or perhaps buy this yet another one ...

when you steal you don't really care about reviews and how much you are going to enjoy said product since it's free, when it's not free anymore, you care a lot more ...

no I'm not saying one shouldn't protect its property, however I think that maybe just maybe they should instead try to find more creative ways to make their product more enticing, instead of less with invasive copy protection that actually can upset legal customers ...

even if actual cracks aren't fully working, it will get done eventually and who cares about waiting when it's just "free" ?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 18:13 

Splinter Cell died after Chaos Theory...

I heard in the next game Sam will be going undercover in a nursing home to pry secrets out of old KGB generals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next