Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 05:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2005, 11:28 
Editors
Editors

That reminds me..... of when I purchased my first Dell system back in '99 or 2000. It was a whopping 1.0ghz with 256mb of ram and an Nvidia TNT graphics card. :) I tried to play a few Lucasarts titles like Dark Forces II and Mysteries of the Sith and there was this horrible bug that caused the action to fast-forward like a vhs tape. I contacted Lucasarts tech support and the technician told me that my system was too advanced to play the game. :shock:

I know. I've experienced the same thing. ;)

Although it was more down to the fact that the TNT cards weren't great at backwards compatibility... I had a heck of a time getting any older games working on them; but no problems with a Voodoo5.

I tried it again on ATi hardware recently, and it played fine (don't ask me why, although it might be something to do with the fact that I'd forced my laptop to 600MHz)... the only problem was that the sound was completely messed up: it would play each sound in a perpetual loop, overlaying them one at a time as they were used... lead to an impossible screaming noise after a while... :(

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2005, 20:16 

What about the Star Wars space battle types??

Definitely. I'm a sucker for those types. :)

Thanks for that suggestion. I actually hadn't thought of going online, but this game looks pretty darn cool.

Thanks for those title, PS. I don't think i'd have been able to track them all down. I've checked out some of the websites for a few titles, Freelancer, Edge of Chaos, and they seem a little....ermm, hehe, out of date. :wink: When was the last good space-sim/adventure released? They all look pretty good though, and I'm definitely up for a classic (graphics be darned) if it offers good gameplay.

Uhh dude, I'm STILL playing Freelancer and with all the graphic details, that game is beautiful (yeah, it's old but it's still got some good visual candy).

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 15:26 

You guys shud try Nexus the Jupiter incident.
Its not an MMO but a good game. Also EVE is an excellent game.
http://www.eve-online.com
Have fun :)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 16:13 
Editors
Editors

I've got Nexus. That was originally titled Imperium Galactica III. :) I didn't play Nexus for very long (didn't have much time when I picked it up, forgot about it later... :oops:) but I thought it was a strategy game, rather than a space-dogfighting sim... :)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 20:59 

Same with Eve, it's more of a space sim than dogfighter like WC. Great game, but not heavy on the action.

Eve @ 61" (12oz beer for scale ;)):

The Star Wars Galaxies expansion Jump to Lightspeed has some decent dogfight style space stuff.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 21:05 

What are you using for your display? A projector of some sort? I've been salivating over the 160" display over at [H]ardOCP but can't really afford a projector setup.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2005, 19:34 

[quote]Ahh the memories... if there ever was a 'best game of all times' contest, that one should receive a nomination at the very least!

Maybe I should get it to run again on this heavily overspecced machine (for that game anyway). Although I doubt I could get so immersed again in the story after having completed it before.

I agree with the 'greatest game' comment. :)

Actually, though; it won't run on any of my 'newer' systems. It won't even run on the only remaining Win98 box I have. I think I'm gonna have to go hunting for some really old kit, to put together a Pentium Pro box or something like that...

You can try http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2005, 22:11 
Founder
Founder

Eve @ 61" (12oz beer for scale Wink):

That's pretty darn sweet, Komoto. :wink:

So what, essentially, does the gameplay of Eve Online consist of? Do you tweak your ship, travel to planets, take on space missions etc, or is there a third person view (i.e. getting out of your ship, walking around, interacting with npc's and such). Also, how high is the learning curve?

You guys shud try Nexus the Jupiter incident.

I saw some screens from that one - they look good.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2006, 00:41 
Editors
Editors

I saw some screens from that one - they look good.

To be honest, I preferred Imperium Galactica I & II. They were far more... um... enjoyable, I guess. They combined space stategy with RTS on the ground with city building and half a dozen other genres. :D

I dunno. I guess I've got to give IG3 more of chance. ;)

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2006, 15:27 

What are you using for your display?

An old samsung DLP, she's almost 2-1/2 yrs old now! Can't believe I've been big screen gaming for so long.
So what, essentially, does the gameplay of Eve Online consist of?

It's pure space sim, no land portions. You do dock in space stations, but you only see your docked ship, no other avatars. The gameplay is pretty open, our corporation (like a guild) does mining every few nights, which means the industrial guys bring out their big mining tubs and the navy types bring their big guns to protect them. There's an active trade economy, too. I'll be going into R&D eventually, setting up the industry guys with cool new toys to build, but for now I'm mostly navy in my little missile boat. There is also a large player vs player combat part of the game that I'm way too young (ingame, heh) to get into just now.

Every now and again you see a huge player convoy heading out for unsecure space with all these battleships and cargo freighters, it's really cool. Even our tiny corp's convoy for mining night is pretty interesting.

Learning curve - some say it's huge, I didn't think it was so bad...but I like reading ;)