Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Sep 2024, 07:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 20:44 

The AI seems on and off. I liked the way that they would spray fire in random directions, or in the direction you made a noise from, or nudged a bush. What I thought was ridiculous though, was the boat driver/gunner AI. Once you manage to get on the boat (speed mode Dolphin jump), they are totally at your mercy. Also, when people are killed in vehicles, you cannot get their weapons. While I'm on a roll, here are some other things.

Bodies should be moveable. I know about the German laws which are behind this, but still, it sucks.

The Ice levels should have been longer.

There should have been a tank/helicopter (used it in the editor, but not in the game) battle against the Aliens. The tank battle against the Koreans with the mountain crumbling, and AT rockets flying past was incredibly intense. They blew their chance to do it with the Aliens too. The AA vehicle was fun to use against them, but didn't last long.

The last boss was a bit lame, I thought. I liked the Hunters a lot though. Still, they too could have done with visible damage/wound locations. You shoot them for ages with every weapon you have, then they suddenly die.

Even with all that though, I have not been so engrossed and immersed since.. I don't know when. The compound/base attacks were fun for me, although the constant patrols in woods got a bit boring. All in all, it think it is a thoroughly enjoyable, and competent shooter, that happens to have a few issues and let-downs. For those that were not impressed, I say that if anything, it's a case of wasted potential, rather than a all around bad game.

1.) There should have definitely been a helicopter PERIOD. There wasn't one in the entire game for YOU to fly, and that made me disappointed....

2.) The choppers firing bullets where you move water/leaves is cool, but when they fire ROCKETS? Seriously, that's a waste of a rockets, and no semi-intelligent pilot would do that.

3.) Boss battle was lame, but whatever. It was a bit too 'cliche' in my opinion.

4.) It would have been REALLY cool if they had once (JUST ONCE!) one of the larger aliens come inside of the ship. As in you're just turning a corner and then WHAM! a tentacle slams in-front of you. Ah well, I just thought that would've been cool :(

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 16:52 

No one seems to have been annoyed by the fact that the aliens were straight out of The Matrix, ie. the sentinels? This sucked for me.

The cliffhanger was inevitable. Once you create visually the most stunning game in history, especially one that cripples the fastest systems in highest resolutions and highest video settings, you have to capitalize on sequels. Naturally, as hardware performance increases, we'll be able to play this puppy faster and better.

Easily a 9/10 for me.

And the idiot who posted a 1/10, either: wanted to feed on the attention he'll get from angry retorts, made a typo and actually wanted to post 10/10, or is completely retarded.

This could possibly the best game of 07, along with BioShock.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 22:24 

No one seems to have been annoyed by the fact that the aliens were straight out of The Matrix, ie. the sentinels? This sucked for me.

The cliffhanger was inevitable. Once you create visually the most stunning game in history, especially one that cripples the fastest systems in highest resolutions and highest video settings, you have to capitalize on sequels. Naturally, as hardware performance increases, we'll be able to play this puppy faster and better.

Easily a 9/10 for me.

And the idiot who posted a 1/10, either: wanted to feed on the attention he'll get from angry retorts, made a typo and actually wanted to post 10/10, or is completely retarded.

This could possibly the best game of 07, along with BioShock.
They CAN'T have been out of the matrix. They had ICE.

Duh <_< [/sarcasm]

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 22:34 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 23:21 

I actually agree, the AI was retarded. While I haven;t seen good AI in a while, even COD4 seemed more intelligent as far as AI is concerned.

I wouldn't say it ruined the experience...but ti did make it less fun. I could take out half a village before they would notice.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 00:30 

What are you talking about dopefish? How is Halo 3 not 10/10?

It has everything! A plot, hype, bugs, cheaters, a crappy cliffhanger, lack of variety, and multiplayer with a horrible network protocol!

How can it not be 10/10? I don't see Crysis with a horrible network protocol, only Halo has that :D

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 00:57 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 02:15 

[quote]What are you talking about dopefish? How is Halo 3 not 10/10?

It has everything! A plot, hype, bugs, cheaters, a crappy cliffhanger, lack of variety, and multiplayer with a horrible network protocol!

How can it not be 10/10? I don't see Crysis with a horrible network protocol, only Halo has that :D

I didn't even want to start on how terrible the MP is in Crysis. ;)

If you played the MP beta, expect the same in the final.Ah the Multiplayer is horrible, but have you ever really played Halo 3?

The network setup is so bad that you can shoot someone, stick a grenade to them, beat them down twice and they kill you. Watch the replay and it looks like you just ran into them and got killed.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 06:08 

well, with respect, we can normally seperate the crowd that hugs the halo box's and computer games. I like to think of us as a more...respected...wiser...older...has seen good things and are hard to impress crowd.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 06:22 

Thanks for the insults.

They weren't meant as such.

You apparently are of the type of people who also give Halo 3 a 10/10 when it also deserved a lower rating.

I'm sorry, where in my post is that apparent? I do not own a 360, nor have I played H3.

After that chick's dad gets frozen, there's a bunch of lockers blocking the way when you want to leave. Attempting to move the lockers can cause one to slide or a table to move, which will kill you instantly. Yes, that nanosuit that protects you from bullets does not save you from an overturned table.

You randomly get crushed by objects through the game. I went and ran around the island and got about 40 Koreans after me. I went up to some sniper tower and killed them all. After they were dead, I needed to replenish my spent rockets. There just happened to be a rocket launcher on top of a crate nearby the tower. As I was walking over to it, the nifty destroyed wooden crate trap deployed by the Koreans killed me. I don't know how, because I just instantly died for no reason. I had to reload and fight the battles again.

Driving vehicles on a flat road with no inconsistencies in the surface can often cause your vehicle to just decide it's time to flip and roll over. There's also invisible objects that you can run into it. The best is when you're just driving along and your vehicle blows up for no reason.

Bugs. Every game, every program has them. For the scope and variety of this game, I can accept them. If you want a flawless play-through, you should wait for a couple of fix packs. Every program in existence and every operating system has had SOMETHING that needed fixing. Hardware varies from system to system. Even OSX had more than 24 fixes the day after it was released (and the hardware is almost identical, or at least the architecture, in most cases).

The AI is dumb. It's as simple as that. They have no brains at all.

I go prone, put on my cloak, attach my silencer to the SCAR, look at the group of 3 Koreans standing next to each other, and I shoot one in the head and kill him. The other two turn around and put their backs to me, then just turn back around and act as if nothing happened. Also, shooting at any Korean with a silencer on is an instant cue for them to turn around and put their back to you, it happens just about every time.

Umm, how smart would your own AI be (your brain?) if you didn't see anything, hardly hear anything, be in a "war zone" meaning, heart pounding, very nervous, over-alert, and all of a sudden had your brains splattered by silent bullets from 2 feet away?

Try runshing the Koreans with no cloak and no silencer.

The final boss? Give me a break.

Yes, that was weak, although it still does not constitute a 1/10 rating.

If these are the things that make games get a 9 out of 10, then I must be missing something here. I am the idiot? I am the retard? Please, refer to the AI in this game and readjust your assumption.

All of the things you mention subtract a 1, maybe a 2 out of a total of 10. Not 9.

Write a better game and I'll readjust my assumption.

I'm sorry I missed your review of BioShock.. I'll try to search for it. No, not to insult you, but to see what rating you gave another fantastic FPS.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next