Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Aug 2024, 10:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Things to do?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 20:26 
Editors
Editors

Those achievements seem a little... odd.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 03:06 

I don't know why this game gets rated so high. To me zombies and the graphics, mood, lighting/shadows in general have to have more of a creep factor for me to take interest. This looks like a cross between GTA and Dawn of the Dead.

You know when they pick a spot like a shopping mall for a zombie attack it's largely based on attempted humor or at least irony, neither of which works IMO. If I'm going to be fighting zombies I don't want to be around a bunch of mall shopping undead troublesome teens with a cell phone in one hand and a Bon Jovi poster in the other.

If I were to get a zombie game with arcade-like monster humor in it I'd want it to be more like Stubbs the Zombie where you can BE the zombie. Unfortunately that game is short and was plagued with issues including poor KB/M support though, so I passed.

Now if someone were to make a realistic looking game about the 28 Days Later movie series, THAT would be cool.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 03:27 

Well it's not really supposed to be "scary"

The interesting part about it being based inside a mall is all of the different weapons you can take advantage of.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 03:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Dawn of the Dead wasn't exactly "scary" either. Night of the Living Dead was, though. And Day of the Dead was just plain depressing.

Personally, I don't think it's possible to create a "scary" zombie game any more. Pop culture has sort of had an overload of zombies to the point where we're desensitized to them. The idea of dead people rising from their graves and attacking people is about as trite as bats transforming into caped aristocrats and announcing in a Hungarian accent that they vant to suck your blood.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 04:36 

AvP.

One game I will not play.

Bought it, played it, heard the motion sensor beep, end of file.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 11:56 

Personally, I don't think it's possible to create a "scary" zombie game any more. Pop culture has sort of had an overload of zombies to the point where we're desensitized to them. The idea of dead people rising from their graves and attacking people is about as trite as bats transforming into caped aristocrats and announcing in a Hungarian accent that they vant to suck your blood.

Now that is pure comedy. Thank you. :lol:

Speaking of which, I watched the other night the film The Last Winter. What a waste. It made a zombie infestation more realistic possibility than what happened in this film.

The Thing, with all its faults, remains untouched imo for the films that have a group of people alone in the wilderness.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 13:15 

Yeah I know DotD wasn't scary either, just another zombie stomp at the mall movie. My whole point was the zombies are funny thing isn't exactly a novel idea (especially anymore) or even an entertaining one in the first place, with the possible exception of Shaun of the Dead. The main reason that movie worked though is it was an obvious satire of such movies so it didn't take itself too seriously.

I don't agree that it's not possible to make scary zombie movies or games anymore though, but admittedly I'm stretching the definition of the word (as many others have) when I use 28 Days Later as an example. There's something about undead cannibals having lost their mind to rage and able to move very quickly that's a frightening what if scenario when you look at all the rage in the world.

Have you ever been in a room full of angry people and wondered what it would be like if the tables tipped toward worldwide rage and everyone went insane? Obviously none of us want that to happen, the outcome would be inconceivably horrifying. The irony is though it takes diplomacy to avoid it and most are quick to muckrake the only ones in a position to use it.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn a humorous zombie game thread into a political discussion.