Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 12:42 

Some things that are as simple as stopping a payment for a game you just purchased will disable your account.

wow that seems like it wouldn't hold a candle in court ...

I mean :
you have a problem (of any sort) paying the last piece of software so they deny you access to your 1000$ well paid stuff ? :roll:

ho well I guess if you call them and explain the problem that happened they might just fix the thing (like cancelling the stuff you bought) and re-enable the account

Still I don't like such terms of use ... it's a bit harsh

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 12:58 

Still I don't like such terms of use ... it's a bit harsh

If terms of use aren't harsh, it's pretty much an open invitation to abuse these days. So unfortunately, it's needed.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 12:58 
Editors
Editors

Well, everything I've got on Steam I've installed from DVD... except for that free Trackmania that Steam does.

I prefer having a physical disc in my hands. Actually makes me feel like I've bought something. I do most of my game buying from Amazon and other etailers, though. Play.com is usually good in the UK - some games on there are £18 on day of release. That's half what they are in stores.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 18:15 
Editors
Editors

Yes, I'm aware of how ToS plays into this. My point was that disabling a person's entire library of content because he purchased a product from a 3rd party (oh, the horror) is beyond excessive.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 19:07 
Editors
Editors

It's stuff like that (150 games gone in the blink of an eye?!) that makes what some people do (one Steam account for each game) make sense. Of course, that's probably against the ToS as well...

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 19:28 

They can take their EULA's and stuff it, they aren't legally binding, in the U.S anyhow. I didn't buy a license to use Monopoly, I bought Monopoly. Just because I can't hold the data doesn't mean I didn't buy that program. It's mine.

Only with data does it seem companies think they can get away with garbage like "Oh you bought a license, not the product." BS I did, I bought your game.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 21:57 

The credit card chargeback thing is because some noob will buy a game, encounter a bug, then scream to the heavens it doesn't work and ask for a refund, without even troubleshooting.

I don't mind that rule that much... PC gaming entails some basic computer work knowledge, and insisting on refunds and such instead of learning that stuff is pretty lame.

I also see why they don't allow you to transfer games, since people could just chip in to buy a single game, then pass it around between 5-10 people. Look at the PS3 section of message boards, it's all people "trading" PSN games.

These types of things don't bother me, it is mostly the idea of them being really quick to disable an account with no real proof of a ToS violation that bothers me. They should have to fight to prove the violation, not you fight to prove you didn't.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 21:58 
Editors
Editors

Guilty until proven innocent, mate. Been that way for years now.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 22:02 

Guilty until proven innocent, mate. Been that way for years now.

Yeah, that is what irritates me.

I think if there is a suspected TOS violation they should send you an email saying you have X number of days to explain the issue, or else your account will be disabled. A suspected hack could be an exception, I suppose, since the more days he plays the more chance of a VAC ban.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 22:13 

Well I'm sure much of it is automated. VAC stuff is all automated for example. I wouldn't be surprised if some account stuff is as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next