Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 14:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 14:01 

for oldies there's http://www.goodoldgames.com out there ... (No DRM policy is nice)

another question came to my mind :
-if you buy a steam game (online) and there's an undisclosed DRM in the package, and let's say you can't bear that DRM at all, can you get a refund ?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 14:15 

-if you buy a steam game (online) and there's an undisclosed DRM in the package, and let's say you can't bear that DRM at all, can you get a refund ?

I believe you can.

Use this list in reference to avoid such a thing though.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966005

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 17:27 

i'd rather have a real disk in a real box with the little booklet and a chance to install on more than 1 machine and play lan. having said that there are some good bargains to be had if u keep an eye on the updates. i buy off steam when they have a game i want half price, otherwise get the real thing, i wanna be able to lend games to mates should i be feeling generous or trade if i'm skint.

has anybody any thoughts about games being re-released in hd with a hefty new price tag? :D

serious sam hd... £16.19 steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/5475/

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 18:24 

Well yes of course, the industry does not want reselling. Trading digital copys would be too easy, Just imagine if you bought a game, beat it in a few days gifted it to your friend, he beat it, passed it to the next friend etc etc. That's a handful of sales lost.

Which is why they are SecuRom-ing stuff with activation limits also, that way you can only pass on physical copies to a few friends. Downside being it can potentially screw over the people who don't pass copies down but reformat alot (me).

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 18:45 

Which is why they are SecuRom-ing stuff with activation limits also, that way you can only pass on physical copies to a few friends. Downside being it can potentially screw over the people who don't pass copies down but reformat alot (me).

Yep which is why I much much much prefer steams DRM.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 19:03 

has anybody any thoughts about games being re-released in hd with a hefty new price tag? :D

serious sam hd... £16.19 steam.

Well I preordered that one, so that'll say enough about my opinion I suppose :roll:

Generally I think Steam is pretty expensive with its games. Except weekend deals. They rock :D. Basically when you want something, it's best to wait for a deal of some kind. Saves you lots of money.
The number of games on offer and easily obtainable is a major plus. Older games tend to be released regularly, as well as Indie games. After all, who wants to deal directly with those scary webgame developers, another one for each game sometimes? I like it much better to get my stuff from one vendor, Valve in this case.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 21:15 

i think they have a cheek charging that much cash for a patch? i'm going to pick up the 20p version next time i'm in town. £15.99 price difference because they added the letters hd to title, no thx.

http://www.cex.co.uk/products/Gaming/PC%20Gaming/PC%20CD-ROM/index.php?sku=5026555033954&name=Serious%20Sam&mode=buy

have u seen torchlight on steam? it's a great game. well worth £15

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 21:22 

Steam DRM + Physical Disks is nice, that way you can prove you own it if something went wrong with steams servers (granted there would be a backlash) and you can download it with ease if you happen to lose the disks.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 23:13 
Insiders
Insiders

i think they have a cheek charging that much cash for a patch? i'm going to pick up the 20p version next time i'm in town. £15.99 price difference because they added the letters hd to title, no thx.

It's a total graphical overhaul. It's not exactly reasonable to call it a "patch."

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 07:28 

Another great (or terrible, depending on how you look at it) thing about Steam: weekend deals. Burn through your money, wooo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next