Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 13:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Left 4 Dead 2
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 19:30 

Honestly not much has changed in the end, but its still an insane step up in every possible direction from the first game.

OK, NOT trying to be an ass, but isn't that a contradiction? Personally I haven't seen what I would call major new developments. L4D2 does offer something new, just not $50 new IMO. If the game had launched @ $30, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting to this thread. I guess I just see a ton of untapped potential, and add the fact that Valve committed to content updates to L4D1 that ended up being paid content in a full sequel...it just leaves me a little let down.

It could very much seem that way, but I see it as more of they changed a bunch of little things, when all of those little things changed together it became huge. It's hard to explain but individually going oh this changed and that changed it's quite clear that not much has really changed.

How about adding non-hostile NPCs? Where are police/army forces that can occasionally assist you? How about a whole campaign designed around rescuing helpless uninfected? Where is the 'Find the Cure' campaign? I realize certain campaign designs would be entirely unbalanced for Versus mode, but why should that hinder a talented dev team unless they just have no interest in evolving the game? Personally I'd rather have some unique campaign design rather than the exact same gameplay in every 5-map sequence.

None of that yet, really we are very early in the story of what has happened just 3 weeks since the first infected. The game starts off with you running to the evac station and the helicopters taking off before they get overrun with zombies leaving you behind. You find out in the first level via the whiteboards etc that New Orleans is the only major city that is not overrun, leaving you to go seek it out.

The campaigns are much much much more unique in this than the first L4D. But ultimately yes its basically the same you just have to get to the end, no one else is alive near you.

I haven't completed the game yet so I don't quite know how it ends or anything but right now the military and CEDA are arguing, CEDA still thinks that they can contain the infection. The military wants to get rid of the infection the easy way.

Post subject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 16:17 

Hi, guys! I just upgraded to an X1900XT from a 7900GS a few weeks ago. I was able to complete MW2 on its highest settings on my 1440x900 19" Viewsonic. Will I be able to do the same with L4D2?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 16:53 

Hi, guys! I just upgraded to an X1900XT from a 7900GS a few weeks ago. I was able to complete MW2 on its highest settings on my 1440x900 19" Viewsonic. Will I be able to do the same with L4D2?

Yes.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:06 

I love both games, can't get enough of them. I got L4D2 for expansion price, but I would have paid $50 if I had to. Excellent, excellent games and with L4D2 having more content than the original you can't call it an expansion, or if you do it is an expansion worth full price.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:23 
Editors
Editors

Need to update my opinion now that I've played the full game (only 3 levels of it so far). That demo really is a piss-poor sample of the game, and doesn't even seem like it's using the same code/config in terms of difficulty.

Full game is sweet. Difficulty is much harder than L4D1, which is great. Horde swarms are more challenging. My very first game, second map, I got the grenade launcher. Should be called the awesome-launcher, IMO. Or glee in a tube. Can't wait to get my hands on some other new weapons.

Why in the world did Valve put out a demo that not just undersells, but actually misrepresents, the final product?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 23:33 

I'll probably buy it when there is a good sale @ steam. Did the same with the first one, and i occasionally still enjoy playing that one.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 15:14 

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll order one right away!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 09:44 

Just beat expert with ONE other person in Dead Center. That was an achievement, I tell you what.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 20:48 

Gonna wait till they put it on Steam for half price before i get it, did the same with the first. I did get bored of it pretty fast though so hopefully this one will keep me interested longer.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 13:44 
Editors
Editors

Must admit I picked up L4D at full price and wished I hadn't... so I'll keep an eye out for one of Steams '£5' weekends or something in the future...