Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 10:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 05:48 

One thing I will simply never be ok with...online-only savegames.

Online-ONLY save games I really do not like, Steam Cloud stuff though, that is great where it basically just sync's your files upward to the cloud when you are done playing, but you always have that local copy, and you save/load from the local copy.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 05:48 

Yeah, I play my GFWL games offline now because the profile thing is retarded, they had a server issue while I was neck-deep in Batman and I couldn't access my saves offline.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 06:01 
Editors
Editors

small diversion off topic, but still along those lines... I bought GTAIV the other day and by the time I installed windows live, and rockstar social club, I wanted to punch myself in the face and delete the game. I'm okay with new drm, as long as it doesn't install fucked up shit on my hard drive.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 06:21 
Insiders
Insiders

Ya it only really seems to need the RGSC thing the sharing and uploading of videos... I've never EVER used any of that. Sadly, I'm used to stupid GFWL. At least it doesn't need an install for each game or something.

Back to Ass Creed 2.... I agree; "Sigh".

And of course it'll get cracked.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:11 

too bad ... I actually liked revocable activation DRMs, then play offline unless you need to update ....

only issue I still don't know whether I might be impacted.... is activation DRMs on DLC with no revoke tool
(Mass Effect Bring Down The Sky ...)

10 Days from release to a proper working crack, Enough time to have people excited to pirate it go "Okay this is taking too long I'm just going to go buy it so that I can finally play it". It worked, SecuROM 7 was a success for once.

I wonder how effective this really was .... I mean 10 days is nothing in a life ffs ...
I tend to think there was probably more pissed off wannabe pirates that waited than pissed off wannabe pirates that bought it ...
but I may well be wrong

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 14:01 

This ubisoft thing is going to suck so hard...

AC2
New Prince of Persia

Grrrr

Ubi are so crap. Typical. 2k are almost as bad.

Hilariously enough I am actually liking EA's stance on DRM of late and have started buying their games again (all the one's with minimal or no DRM)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 14:47 

small diversion off topic, but still along those lines... I bought GTAIV the other day and by the time I installed windows live, and rockstar social club, I wanted to punch myself in the face and delete the game. I'm okay with new drm, as long as it doesn't install fucked up shit on my hard drive.

I've never really understood why some people are so bothered by such things. I don't even notice really.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 18:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Being asked to sign up for two different services before you can even play the game is a little hard to miss, I think. Fortunately, there's this thing called "xliveless" that lets one play GTA4 without these things. It disables multiplayer, but I'm fine with being able to choose between multiplayer and singleplayer free of online services.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 20:14 

Being asked to sign up for two different services before you can even play the game is a little hard to miss, I think.

Not really, Xbox accounts are just microsoft accounts, so if you ever had a hotmail, Xbox or what-have-you then you are setup already. The Rockstar one you could make your account right there within the program in like 10 seconds. For all the complaining I heard about GTA4's account troubles it took me like 2 minutes to get everything setup, hardly a chore.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 20:41 
Insiders
Insiders

I have installed a GFWL game on three operating systems (XP, W7RC, W7) and every time I did I was forced to go to the support webpage and follow instructions on changing some really in depth settings to get it to work. Once it is working it's fairly transparent though, until a patch comes out; then you are forced to either install the patch through GFWL or be signed out and lose access to your saves.

Now for GTA IV. If you try to start GTAIV from a cold start:
You click the desktop shortcut
STEAM starts up
Maybe STEAM has to update
Now the R* Social Club app has to start
Maybe it has to update
Now you have to click "Play"
Now you have to wait for the game to start
GFWL signs in while game starts
Maybe there is a game update
If there is you have to install it
Now you click "Continue"
Now you wait for the game to load
Now you play

This reminds me of trying to quit to the desktop while playing Assassins Creed, unnecessarily convoluted and intrusive. Yes you can make your own shortcut to bypass STEAM, but that's a small consolation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next