Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 04:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 16:31 

I was also NOT surprised by that quote from Microsoft.

Just read between the lines: " well it's taken us so long to make this game, we needed to release it before the XBox 360 lifecycle was over.............we really don't have the time or energy to code it properly for the PC, so tough luck.........and by the way, we really look forward to your $60 dollars."

It's obvious............Microsoft wants to suck every penny out of the XBox they can, and the PC versions just don't sell that many copies, so why bother.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 10:45 

Also wouldn't be the first 'exclusive' that gets a port a few months/years down the line once the 'exclusive' version has brought in enough sales.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 20:30 

Also wouldn't be the first 'exclusive' that gets a port a few months/years down the line once the 'exclusive' version has brought in enough sales.

People always say this like it's a given, but if you look at Microsoft's track record lately I think that is far from true.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 20:53 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Also wouldn't be the first 'exclusive' that gets a port a few months/years down the line once the 'exclusive' version has brought in enough sales.

People always say this like it's a given, but if you look at Microsoft's track record lately I think that is far from true.
Agreed, where is halo 3? We're definitely in the time window for a halo 3 port.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 21:00 

I wouldn't say Halo is really a 'typical exclusive' so you can't really base a comparison on it.

I mean, the 1st one was ported a long time after it was certain it wouldn't impact the 360's sales, the 2nd one was used to push vista and dx10.

The third one is likely in limbo until it's got a purpose.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 21:21 
Insiders
Insiders

I wouldn't say Halo is really a 'typical exclusive' so you can't really base a comparison on it.

I mean, the 1st one was ported a long time after it was certain it wouldn't impact the 360's sales, the 2nd one was used to push vista and dx10.

Why not DX11 is on the rise (and looks good too). Plus eyefinity came out, we also have Stereoscopic Gaming, and why not force people to have windows 7? All good things to me.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 22:35 

And it's not just Halo 3, it's Fable 2, Halo Wars, Halo ODST, Gears of War 2, Viva Pinata 2 and more... if EA never bought Bioware Mass Effect would never have been ported either I bet.

Microsoft has finally completely abandoned the PC, it's pretty clear. I mean maybe we will get a port this Christmas, you never know, but I doubt it. The fact they came up with such a lame excuse this time really cements it in my opinion, if they were planning a later port they wouldn't have said jack. Doesn't fit the platform? Really? When it DOES fit the platform, and when Halo Wars fit the PC more than the console but you only released it on console? The whole point of Halo Wars was actually to make RTS work on console so they could stop doing them on PC.

It's just silly, really. They actively support the Xbox and want PC to fail despite being a defacto king in the PC gaming scene. The creator and manager of our entire operating system wants to kill our gaming.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 08:23 

From a "which market segment brings more return" kind of view, it does make sense for em to abandon the pc, at least, the gaming part. Regardless how many "enthusiasts", "gamers", etc on the pc there are, it's not where the money is.

Corporate licenses is. And by quite a few folds more I'd imagine.

Windows isn't made for games, it just happens to have em. Most of it isn't built on that, at least, not when you view it from a return on investment point of view.

It might be different if microsoft was one of the 2 gpu companies, but they aren't.

If tommorow gaming on the pc died, the only direct losers from a financial standpoint would be amd and nvidia, and even then only in the short run, since most of their shares is also with integrated boards in the corporate sectors.

To be honest, I'd rather only keep companies on the pc gaming platform that give a (censored) about the platform to begin with. Maybe in the long run it'll reduce the amount of utter crap being put on it.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 00:37 

Halo was originally being designed by Bungie to be pc/mac exclusive (MMO 3PS)... then Microsoft bought them out and made it xbox exclusive until gearbox(?) ported it over, not Bungie or Microsoft.

I'm sure you may be able to find some old video's of the Beta builds of halo before it was ported.. I know there are some video card commercials out there with halo before it was xbox exclusive. really, Halo was ported from PC to xbox, then ported to pc from xbox.. the game was just a mess in the end, I'm surprised it did so well.

-Halo before it was Halo (xbox)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C65ogSLXM&feature=related

-Halo at Macworld 1999
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqFJ5pPu2g&feature=related

-Halo Geforce 2 trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBM9ywsJ_zY

In closing, don't ever follow a game by Microsoft, they will always disappoint, unless you just don't care what happens to games you get excited about early in, because Microsoft will change everything until it feels like it will sell a lot. I feel bad for Alan Wake.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 19:58 

As I said, not a typical exclusive.