Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Jun 2024, 23:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 19:20 

Well you gotta wait for the epilogue DLC.

http://kotaku.com/5894186/mass-effects-producer-promises-well-keep-listening-and-new-content-that-brings-closure

In short, it sounds like he is promising extensions to the story, through DLC, that offer outcomes more palatable than the one in the main game that has people in such a lather.

Ki ki ki.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2012, 07:58 
Insiders
Insiders

I loved the whole series, and I'd have to say ME3 was the best for me. Although it was very close to ME2, but ME3 just bought out so many emotions. Yes the ending may appear to be "crap" or incomplete, but as soon as I was done, I knew there was going to be more DLC etc. So it didn't upset me like most people, there will be a MMO or ME4 to continue this great journey anyway. I loved every second of the series and it's the only game that made me shed a tear on more than one occasion. Unfortunately I don't know how I'll go without being commander Shepard if he doesn't continue to be the main character, but regardless I can't wait to see what Bioware have cooked up.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 01:23 

How will you continue Mass Effect in the short term (at least in 20 years) if there are no relays? Yes there is FTL travel, but it would take many years to even reach another planet that could sustain life. Where is everyone that was next to or near earth supposed to do? How about the Turians and the Qurians? They eat different food, what will they do when they run out of supplies?

Another Question... what the heck happened to Joker? And your squad mates that were supposed to be with you on earth? Did they get beamed up? If so, how did they and leave as fast as it is implied?

There is no ME4 in terms of the story as it has already happened, according to developers, though that could change. Not sure how they would even try to do it. They will have to retcon something in order to make it work, I just can't see a way. Unless they pull the old, "Our scientists have discovered how to remake the Relays (but even then it needs a second relay, so they still need to travel to another system in order to implement them...).

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 03:06 

I'm not disappointed in Mass Effect 3 as a whole, just the ending. Which I find myself entirely numb to, honestly, because there's a shred of hope left in me that they'll amend the damage they've caused to their fanbase.

So I'm a hopeful.

I created a surround gaming rig expressly for Mass Effect 3 and I have no regrets.

I was feeling all of my achievements paying off by the time Admiral Hackett stepped onto the Normandy. I poured myself a small glass of whatever was left of my vodka and drank it as I watched the cutscene go.

I got misty-eyed when the fleets were all reporting in. Asari, Geth, Turian, Salarian, everything was falling into place. I wanted to hold onto that sensation. I poured some rum with some Dr. Pepper and had at it. Throughout the night, I was feeling emotionally charged in a game I had invested myself into. I watched as the battle was met and the shots were being fired, and was in awe when the arms of a reaper were severed, proving once and for all that the races of the galaxy had a shot at this.

Had more rum.

By the time Cortez landed the shuttle on Earth, I was buzzing -quite- nicely. And honestly, it put me in the right kind of mood to experience that level. The senses I needed were sharpened (reaction time, vision, hearing) and any awareness that I didn't were dulled (sense of time, sense of being in my chair). I had my vision, but it wasn't for the surroundings. All I know it was black, bleak, chaotic and dire, and that's all I needed to know. Now and then I'd take another swig of rum. Didn't pause. Just hammered away at the level as if I had experienced it 100 times. I was aware of the plot and why I was fighting, who I was fighting and when, but I honestly couldn't tell you about how much of the level's finer details I remember. I remember being in a room with a skeleton on a bed. That hit me harder than it would have without the alcohol.

When it came time to speak to the older members of my crew, man. There wasn't a single thing said by them that I didn't just love. I was more than misty-eyed by this point, I was silently weeping about everything coming down to a head and that the end was near. I moved on, spoke to the rest of my team. Spoke to Wrex, spoke to Sergeant Coats, and by this time, I was still silently weeping, but I was more affirmed than ever that I was going to take back the earth and send the Reapers to hell.

That final push was brutal, but I refused to die. I wanted to go through that entire level on my first run, and that's exactly what I accomplished. Dealing with three banshees and three brutes (I have no idea if that's how many were there at the final push, but damn sure felt like more), was insane, but I soldiered through it. Then came the mad dash toward the beam.

All my booze was gone by then and I had consumed quite a bit, but I wasn't drunk. Yet I think the ending didn't hit me quite so hard because I was inebriated. It was a really odd, numbing thing to watch the ending unfold like that.

Anyway, I achieved a level of immersion with my surround gaming rig, and with the aid of a bit of alcohol (like a quarter bottle of rum, 1/8th bottle of vodka), I had never felt before, and it made it all worth every red cent.

Do I like the ending? No, I hate it.

Do I like Mass Effect 3. Love it, I have faith it'll be restored. Personally, I support the indoctrination theory.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 19:13 

http://kotaku.com/5920559/expanded-mass-effect-3-ending-coming-on-june-26

BioWare is releasing the Extended Cut downloadable content for sci-fi role-playing game Mass Effect 3 on June 26, it said today.

You'll be able to download it for free on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. It's a whopping 1.9 gigabytes.

"The Extended Cut expands on the endings of Mass Effect 3 through additional scenes and epilogue sequences," BioWare said on its website.