Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Aug 2024, 22:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 17:00 
Editors
Editors

(Also sorry for derailing the thread)

Then stop.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 17:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Missed the point.

Elaborate on the point if you want me to get it. Otherwise I stand by the notion that you don't have a point beyond what I've already debunked.

If a new game is 50 dollars, and you only have 5 dollars left over after budgeting for all necessary first world expenses, and it would therefore take ten months to purchase a game, I would say that's most definitely a strain on your cash flow.

No, it means you're doing budgeting wrong. What if you do only have $5 of spare change every month? Even at $5, not every penny of it *needs* to be put aside towards a game. If there are important things to you other than games, then spending 100% of your leftover cash on games is doing budgeting wrong.

Severe? Losing a job and gaining one that pays less is "severe" if you still have enough money for monthly payments for everything?

$1500 a month to $200 a month is severe. I doubt you'll find many people who earn $1500 a month but spend less than $200 of it.

What is your opinion on the Sony BMG Rootkit scandal?

I wouldn't really know enough about the situation to have a strong opinion. I've heard the rootkit described as malware a lot. I don't know how accurate this is, but I think bundled malware that has effects on your computer beyond how it plays the product it's bundled with should be illegal.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 18:09 
Editors
Editors

But he does know "Thou shalt not steal" well

Throwin' down the King James...now that's really going old school. :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 18:16 

[quote](Also sorry for derailing the thread)

Then stop.

Thank you.
Stopping.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 20:25 

I'd put the 'needs an online server' as a bigger drawback to the max limit of installs.

Of course the 2 are related.

Example, I have here ev:nova, needs the online server, if it ever goes down, my game is dead.

Kotaku posted this article the other day to stir up the nest:

http://kotaku.com/5051514/steam-drm-vs-spore-drm

I really must disagree with both you and them though.

With Steam I know that I am going to have my games for a very very long time. If valve was going down they would pull something. With EA, they have proven to not give 2 shits in the past. if the activation was going down in 5 years. I would not be surprised if they were too lazy to release a patch to remove the activation..

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 04:43 

So you're ok with losing a game you payed for just because the developper for whatever reason takes down the activation/authentification/etc server required to start or install the game?

Sorry but I don't have that kind of disposable income.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 04:48 

On that quasi DRM topic:

I'm a little ticked that it seems the COD2 master multiplayer server went offline.

Why don't companies allow third parties to continue the service if they so choose? Isn't that a service the company should provide so you can continue to play?

(I know no one cares because everyone has moved on to COD4, but it's still relevant to the topic of server crashes causing unplayable games).

/Rant. I'll stop now.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 05:07 
Editors
Editors

Why don't companies allow third parties to continue the service if they so choose? Isn't that a service the company should provide so you can continue to play?

Doesn't make me happy to say it, but if we keep playing old games we generally don't spend as much on new titles.

This is a built-in conflict of interest in the game industry: designing a game with massive replayability could actually hurt future sales of new games. What I try not to think about is how many games are intentionally "hamstrung" to limit their longevity.

How many industry people look at Counter-Strike and WoW and ask "How the heck can we get those players to play something new?!"

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 05:54 

How many industry people look at Counter-Strike and WoW and ask "How the heck can we get those players to play something new?!"

Exactly, I still play CS1.6 for 3+ hours a day.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 06:53 
Editors
Editors

Exactly, I still play CS1.6 for 3+ hours a day.

And there's no end in sight for that game to expire:
http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

Essentially, the best that any new game can hope to get is the #2 spot, because I have yet to see CS get a serious challenge.

-edit- Scratch that last sentence, CS:Source has #2 locked up pretty tight.

I also have a special place of hate in my heart for WoW because it single-handedly killed my LAN group. :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next