Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Aug 2024, 04:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 12:20 

Silent Hunter 5 used a weaker version without cloud saves... let's wait for AC2.

ho ! :shock: that means AC2 uses "cloud saves"
somehow I missed this information, not for me at all then !!!
I can already see the slowness induced in saving when my girlfriend is using the net ...
not even considering the fact that I don't want stuff that is mine on the internet ...

edit: also even if it takes a week to get a perfect crack I can't see how people would buy a game because they can't wait a single week ...

now here is a few games where I think the DRM was actually successful :
-Galactic Civilization 2 : "cracked" very quick, very easily since the only "DRM" was a key verification when trying to update, however Stardock rolled updates after updates after updates, in the end if you wanted the latest bug fixes and major improvements ... you couldn't get a crack for it (or rather a working copy of it, since the files were only available through stardock) ...
(at some point, through updates I think a first launch activation crept in it though... don't remember exactly)
-Sacred 1 : same thing as GC2, a lot of updates, a lot of bug fixes ... however added on top of that was a heavy multi-protection with custom code + a couple of official protections, the whole thing made some legitimate users unable to play, however working cracks were not very common, more so with the "frequent" updates. At some point a user (who wanted a crack) even had to get russian versions of executables since those had lesser protections ...

these two games I consider that they kind of "resisted" piracy for several month since after all, when you enjoy a game who wants a half-baked, bug filled, feature less, cracked game instead ?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 22:40 

http://torrentfreak.com/ubisofts-uber-drm-cracked-within-a-day-100304/
Its relevant.

ok but in this article it is suggested that DRM-free = pirated copy
it's just the wrong way to put it
DRM - free includes and is not restricted to : a pirated copy or a normal DRM copy bought a couple years later when a no-DRM patch comes out or an official DRM-free copy who could eventually come out a couple years later...

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 04:34 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98927-Ubisoft-DRM-Authentication-Servers-Go-Down

Oh goody...

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 05:15 

A lot of DRM is simply to combat casual piracy, but that is pointless aside from the basics in my opinion (I.E. CD in the drive) Consumers are smart enough to get the crack now days if they are wanting to do that.

I agree, check my Drive or tie it to my steam account but don't require me to be online, what if I want to play it on an airplane for some odd reason... Online 100% of the time seems excessive for just casual piracy. Once the game is cracked they should go to CD check or steam tying (which already exists for all steam games)

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 07:06 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98927-Ubisoft-DRM-Authentication-Servers-Go-Down

Oh goody...

DRM is so awesome!

"RPS" wrote: It’s time for Ubisoft to admit this was a mistake, back down, and make their games playable by their customers.

Oh and

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 10:50 
Administrators
Administrators

Oh goody...

It was inevitable.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 16:58 

I'm sort of torn... the downtime shows how bad this DRM is for paying customers, but on the other hand it was hackers who took it down.

No one wins, I guess is the end point.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 17:26 
Editors
Editors

We don't "know" it was hackers who took it down. It seems fairly likely, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions. Even if someone at Ubisoft were pulling a practical joke and yanking the power to the servers, they'd blame it on "hackers". Ubisoft would lose far too much face if they actually admitted they've badly misjudged the situation as a whole. But yes, everyone loses in this scenario. Mostly the paying customers who decided to put up with the shit Ubisoft were trying to pull, though.

Anyway, whatever. I'm quite glad that I haven't bought this - it means I can point and laugh.

And when Ubisoft shut down the activations servers permanently, I can watch the resulting internet conflagration when they haven't released a de-DRM patch... ;)

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 17:55 
Insiders
Insiders

What really makes me sad is that devs probably know that these DRM measures will push people away from PC games and toward consoles. What makes me even more sad than that is that the more I think about it, the more it seems that is their intention.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 19:02 
Editors
Editors

What really makes me sad is that devs probably know that these DRM measures will push people away from PC games and toward consoles. What makes me even more sad than that is that the more I think about it, the more it seems that is their intention.

Yeah.

:(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next