Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Aug 2024, 22:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 09:15 

[quote]http://news.softpedia.com/news/EA-Admits-Pirated-Copies-Do-Not-Equal-Lost-Sales-94516.shtml

EA sees the light?

That is encouraging news. And this right here is the key to the entire issue:
"... the company is getting ready to shift its approach so that it rewards the customer rather than punishing everyone for the sins of pirates."

Paying customers deserve to be treated like gold--with respect and courtesy. This is how businesses of all sorts thrive, and game companies can as well. I hope whoever at EA is leading this change will continue to push the company toward valuing its customers--if it keeps going in the right direction they'll be earning my dollars.

Thanks for the link.

Yep that quote was the number one reason that I had to show you guys this.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:09 
Editors
Editors

Paying customers deserve to be treated like gold--with respect and courtesy.

How can I vote for you becoming the new CEO of EA?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 20:16 

I canceled my pre-order for Red Alert 3 today, I'll buy it when my instinct to boycott EA ends, so hopefully that's when the game will become DRM free (like Bioshock is now) and 30 dollars, otherwise I'll keep my 50 dollars to buy a game that I'm not "renting".

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 00:39 

[quote]Paying customers deserve to be treated like gold--with respect and courtesy.

How can I vote for you becoming the new CEO of EA?

I'd vote.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 00:56 
Editors
Editors

Hey guys, thanks for the vote(s) of confidence. :mrgreen:

I canceled my pre-order for Red Alert 3 today, I'll buy it when my instinct to boycott EA ends, so hopefully that's when the game will become DRM free (like Bioshock is now) and 30 dollars, otherwise I'll keep my 50 dollars to buy a game that I'm not "renting".

FYI-Bioshock is not DRM free. It still has SecuROM and it still needs activation for every install. What they removed was the activation limits, so you can install it as many times as you want as often as you want.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 05:48 

Hey guys, thanks for the vote(s) of confidence. :mrgreen:

[quote]I canceled my pre-order for Red Alert 3 today, I'll buy it when my instinct to boycott EA ends, so hopefully that's when the game will become DRM free (like Bioshock is now) and 30 dollars, otherwise I'll keep my 50 dollars to buy a game that I'm not "renting".

FYI-Bioshock is not DRM free. It still has SecuROM and it still needs activation for every install. What they removed was the activation limits, so you can install it as many times as you want as often as you want.

Well of course SecuRom is still installed, I more of meant that I can install it as many times as I like, I probably should have worded it better...

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 06:02 

[quote]Hey guys, thanks for the vote(s) of confidence. :mrgreen:

[quote]I canceled my pre-order for Red Alert 3 today, I'll buy it when my instinct to boycott EA ends, so hopefully that's when the game will become DRM free (like Bioshock is now) and 30 dollars, otherwise I'll keep my 50 dollars to buy a game that I'm not "renting".

Well of course SecuRom is still installed, I more of meant that I can install it as many times as I like, I probably should have worded it better...

secuROM doesn't really bother me. I just can't accept the installation limits. I also remembered that i have $5 down on red alert 3 at gamestop, i should get that back and not buy red alert 3 until EA is ready to stop punishing me.

To be honest...i don't even feel like playing spore anymore just because of all this grief it's been causing every gamer around the world.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 07:24 
Editors
Editors

Just wanted to make sure you didn't walk into a purchase that wouldn't meet your expectations. When I heard the DRM had been removed I was happy...until I read the actual press release.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 00:32 

[quote]Well of course SecuRom is still installed, I more of meant that I can install it as many times as I like, I probably should have worded it better...

Just wanted to make sure you didn't walk into a purchase that wouldn't meet your expectations. When I heard the DRM had been removed I was happy...until I read the actual press release.

Yeah, I guess its not SecuRom that bothers me, like Chabooka said, it's just the punishments(5 installs) that I hate. Otherwise I have no huge problems with it...although it would be nice to be prompted about the installation of it when installing my games, or even a logo on the back of the box. Probably wouldn't be too good for sales with that stamped on the back....so I can see why its not on there.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 02:52 
Editors
Editors

although it would be nice to be prompted about the installation of it when installing my games, or even a logo on the back of the box. Probably wouldn't be too good for sales with that stamped on the back....so I can see why its not on there.

And that right there is another key issue. Game companies KNOW that some customers will look at a box, see DRM info, and decide NOT to purchase the game, so the information on the box is as minimal as possible or non-existant. At the same time, PR people rarely broach the issue beyond "we don't know if the DRM hurts sales."

I'm happy that DRM disclosure is getting better--though I wish they didn't have so much to disclose. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next