Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Aug 2024, 21:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 20:10 

I also have a special place of hate in my heart for WoW because it single-handedly killed my LAN group. :evil:

If you can't beat em....

PM me for server and character names if you ever want to play :).

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008, 20:39 

http://www.tomshardware.com/spore-drm,video-305.html

Entertaining watch and some good points are made.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2008, 20:23 
Editors
Editors

Very lucid perspective on the state of the industry:
http://www.gamecritics.com/mike-doolittle/piracy-on-the-pc-where-do-we-go-from-here

Post subject: pirates don't get a vote
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 06:28 

I know why EA does what they do, I think it's guaranteed that if they continue down this road, the backlash will only increase. Penalizing paying customers because of the actions of pirates is just bad judgment, and they are polarizing the industry's customer base. For me, I'm sticking with Brad Wardell's camp: pirates don't get a vote. Has no one at EA read Stardock's forums? The folks there LOVE Stardock because the games are great and they get treated as customers, not criminals. I'm not a marketing or PR professional, but I know that winning your customer's trust and respect is like sinking a self-replenishing goldmine

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 06:37 

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/081014/1_328572_id.html?.v=1

I personally don't like DRM. It interrupts the user experience. We would like to get around that. But there is this problem called piracy out there.
:roll:

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 08:09 
Editors
Editors

@Mokbol-
Did you mean to write a response to my comment, or was that just a QTF? ;)

DaFox,

Wow, EA really is hell-bent on shrinking their customer base. Why in the world would a company summarily terminate offline-only capabilities? Most gamers probably are connected to the web, but there must be a decent portion who aren't, or who have very limited connectivity. This decision at best will result in some lost customers...at worst in a lot of lost customers. Plus, implementing online connectivity in games takes more work, not less. Truly baffling, though EA excels in that department.

He sees the growth of gaming constrained mostly by piracy and the difficulties in getting in-game ads right.

LOLed at this line.

Growth in gaming, Mr. Riccitiello? Don't you mean growth in profits? Most GAMERS wouldn't describe in-game ads as growth in games. Then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Seeing giant posters for the movie I Am Legend in the tunnels of Hellgate:London was obviously aesthetic genius.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 18:27 
Editors
Editors

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gears-of-war-2-leaked-on-torrent-sites

Gee, I didn't know the 360 had a piracy problem.

Perhaps Cliffy and Epic will resort to selling full-size arcade machines. :wink: Not so easy to torrent those babies, is it? :lol:

-------------------------
What the heck is up with security around RC and gold master game discs? These devs and pubs cite the #1 reason for SecuROM/DRM as preventing 0-day piracy, yet apparently there's an army of butterfingered employees who all get a chance to handle the product before release.

Here's a tip, EA. Dump the cost of SecuROM, invest in some real security service (or ninjas) to handle the discs. If an unauthorized person touches them...Boot to the Head!

First day sales success...cha-ching!
No DRM leash on legit customers->makes happy customers->makes more cha-ching!
(this assumes you don't release electronic dung, of course)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 18:56 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gears-of-war-2-leaked-on-torrent-sites

Gee, I didn't know the 360 had a piracy problem.

Perhaps Cliffy and Epic will resort to selling full-size arcade machines. :wink: Not so easy to torrent those babies, is it? :lol:

-------------------------
What the heck is up with security around RC and gold master game discs? These devs and pubs cite the #1 reason for SecuROM/DRM as preventing 0-day piracy, yet apparently there's an army of butterfingered employees who all get a chance to handle the product before release.

Here's a tip, EA. Dump the cost of SecuROM, invest in some real security service (or ninjas) to handle the discs. If an unauthorized person touches them...Boot to the Head!

First day sales success...cha-ching!
No DRM leash on legit customers->makes happy customers->makes more cha-ching!
(this assumes you don't release electronic dung, of course)

The 360 Piracy scene is decently sized, on one of the sites I go to for FC2 the stats are:
360 - 286+57 snatches
PC - 890 snatches

But yeah, screw dude huge.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 19:37 

Not so easy to torrent those babies, is it? :lol:

Actually, I remember an article one time of someone somehow getting an arcade version of I think street fighter IV and making a home / console out of it.

Regardless of DRM, the main cause of piracy that I've seen are internal leaks which would get the disc copies 'out there' regardless what drm is on it.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 21:04 

Regardless of DRM, the main cause of piracy that I've seen are internal leaks which would get the disc copies 'out there' regardless what drm is on it.

That happens more so on the 360 side than on PC I notice. The last 2 major leaks for PC were Assassins Creed and Mass Effect.

While the 360 has already seen 2 major leaks in the last month.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next