Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Aug 2024, 21:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 05:25 

That tends to prove their 'no release on pc because of piracy' argument kinda moot doesn't it?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 05:32 

That tends to prove their 'no release on pc because of piracy' argument kinda moot doesn't it?

Yep. If you want to see real rampant piracy go look at the DS, Even soccer moms have flashcarts, its crazy.

But yet they still release oh so many games on there.

Example source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181131

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 03:36 

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/videos/second_take_console_piracy_on_the_rise_.html

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 05:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Not at all. Console piracy may exist, but it's barely a nuisance to the devs. GoW for PC was pirated on BT alone more than it was bought - a fairly common occurrence in PC games. If GoW2 doesn't sell 10 times as many copies as it's been pirated through BT, I'll eat a chainsaw bayonet.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 05:44 

Not at all. Console piracy may exist, but it's barely a nuisance to the devs. GoW for PC was pirated more than it was bought - a fairly common occurrence in PC games. If GoW2 is pirated a tenth as much as it is bought, I'll eat a chainsaw bayonet.

I bet you if GoW for the PC launched the same day as the 360 version, It would have sold 3-4x as many copys.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 05:58 
Insiders
Insiders

I bet you if GoW for the PC launched the same day as the 360 version, It would have sold 3-4x as many copys.

I'll bet you that Epic has more resources available to do the kind of research necessary to make that kind of prediction than you do. Somehow, this is not the conclusion that they came to. Though given that it sold 5 million on Xbox 360 alone, it seems pretty unlikely that a simultaneous PC release could have boosted it all the way to 15-20.

I have my own hypothetical claim - the PC port might have sold more copies, but a larger number of PC-360 users who in the real world bought the 360 version would have just pirated the PC version instead, meaning fewer sales overall. It's the only explanation I can think of for why the PC port took so long - PC ports of modern games are relatively straightforward, and it's not as though they had a huge optimization budget.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 06:23 

I'll bet you that Epic has more resources available to do the kind of research necessary to make that kind of prediction than you do. Somehow, this is not the conclusion that they came to. Though given that it sold 5 million on Xbox 360 alone, it seems pretty unlikely that a simultaneous PC release could have boosted it all the way to 15-20.

I have my own hypothetical claim - the PC port might have sold more copies, but a larger number of PC-360 users who in the real world bought the 360 version would have just pirated the PC version instead, meaning fewer sales overall. It's the only explanation I can think of for why the PC port took so long - PC ports of modern games are relatively straightforward, and it's not as though they had a huge optimization budget.

I actually meant 4-5x the copys of the PC version, not combined sales.

Your claim is very true. the PC Port had 'extra content' that was cut from the 360 game, I personally know 4-5 gears fans that pirated the PC version of gears (one even asked me for help..) just to play the bonus PC exclusive content.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15