Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 17:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Civilization 5
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 06:31 

I loved Civ 2. If it was fixed to work on Vista/Win7 and was released on Steam, I'd clock up hundreds of hours on that.

And Civ 2 was only easy on the lower difficulty levels. Once you got to Prince or higher, the AI started getting mean...

But my main like of Civ 2 was there was no "pretty" to distract you from the game. Civ 4 is great, but I get bored with the 3D "fluff".

well I can't say I've experimented every situation out there for sure, however once I took in a supposed impossible savegame that a friend couldn't complete, he did let the computers outgrow himself in the highest difficulty, no space left to colonize, the AIs had too much late game units to be defeated
yet I succeeded where he failed... spies... :mrgreen:

And in any case, a computer that gets too much advantages to keep up with a player ain't really a challenge just a cheater :p
If anyone played Empire Earth 1 with "good" skills, you'll see what I mean :
-play bad => AI is scaled bad, doesn't cheat a lot yet still cheats for basic ressources since he doesn't know how to handle them correctly..
-play good=> AI becomes incredibly hard, near impossible to fully beat cheating like mad, reconstructing bases faster than you destroy them, forcing you to occupy with your forces every percent of the map to utterly eliminate them...

@Tanuki
it's supposed to be kind of a game ender I guess, however should you not like it, you can always mod it out or increase its cost or whatever cross your mind, that's the power of Civ 4 ...

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 08:13 

Yea! I can now move in six directions instead of eight!

And this is bad why? ;^)

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 16:38 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Yea! I can now move in six directions instead of eight!

And this is bad why? ;^)
When Civ gets dumbed down, you know that PC gaming has problems. ;)

Oh, wait, that already happened with Civ: Rev, didn't it? :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 17:07 

honestly 6 or 8 moves has more to do with balancing than dumbing down ...

hexagonal tiles Vs square tiles :
-hexagonal cities have only 6 ways to be attacked therefore easier to surround/blockade
-square tiles have weird movement/distance relativity issues where moving in diagonal goes faster than a straight path...

that said, that doesn't mean that civ 5 won't be a dumbed down version of civ4 with gfx improvements ...
Honestly if I was them (civ developers) I would alternate between dumbed down versions & complex versions, therefore supposedly widening the target audience...

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 22:25 

"As one other significant change, 2K Games announced today that Civilization V will also incorporate much of Valve's Steamworks functionality. With Valve's development tools, Civilization V will include features such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements, downloadable content, and multiplayer matchmaking.

In a further partnership with Valve, 2K Games said that it would be shipping a special Digital Deluxe Edition of Civilization V through Steam when the PC game is released this fall. Those who purchase the special edition will gain access to the Babylonian civilization, ruled by Nebuchadnezzar II (630-561 BC). Special-edition purchasers will also get a "Behind the Scenes at Firaxis With Civilization V" video feature as well as a digital copy of the game's soundtrack.

The Valve partnership also extends to preorder bonuses. Those who preorder the regular or Digital Deluxe edition of Civilization V through Steam will be offered the Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia add-on for free. Included in the map pack will be new explorable territory in the Fertile Crescent, from the Nile River to the Tigris and Euphrates river valleys. "

-Gamespot

Another reason for me to /spit and wait for the whole thing to come out in the GotY edition. Great for steam though.

Pay more money for something that should be there anyway? No thanks.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 04:13 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6268706.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B6

Ruh-roh.

And on a completely unrelated front. :roll:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6268802.html?tag=sidebar%3Btitle%3B1

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 10:35 

I picked this up in a box a few hours ago from Target and I would love to tell you all how it is, but Steam told me to piss off until 10AM.

It comes with a nice poster though.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 18:36 

Apparently, there is already exclusive content which will become DLC later.

I am sure that will improve the online experience.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 19:22 

Apparently, there is already exclusive content which will become DLC later.

I am sure that will improve the online experience.

Well it's one civilization, and it does piss me off as the only way to get it was to buy digitally and I wanted a box.

Anyway, the game... Wow, it's amazing. Everything they streamlined is for the better and the interface, graphics and general tone and feel are just stunning to look at and mess with. City-states change the game a LOT, as does one combat unit per tile... almost a new game entirely in many ways.

This is a freaking homerun.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 19:43 

Jealous :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next