Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 17:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 19:09 
Editors
Editors

Uh...monk outfits? Perhaps my assessment of their marketing people should shift a little from 'careless goons' to 'weirdos'. Whatever. They owned up with an apology on the site, which is welcome and appropriate, and now I know to expect over-the-top behavior from them (kinda like a certain relative of mine). Hopefully their PR folks will focus on subsequent ideas that don't engender a fantastic amount of ill-will in their customer base.

The Boy Who Cried Wilk
Typo, or did I miss an alternate telling of the famous tale? ;)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 23:06 
Editors
Editors

Okay, nice list cranky, but now I definitely don't give a rat's ass about GoG. I'm not mad, just perplexed and feeling uncomfortable in the presence of attention whores. If misinformation is really a clever move marketingwise, then I don't wanna know what they'll come up with next time.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 01:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Typo, or did I miss an alternate telling of the famous tale?

Not a typo.

I'm not mad, just perplexed and feeling uncomfortable in the presence of attention whores.

I understand the feeling and sympathize, but nevertheless, I am 100% confident that everything I've ever bought from them, and what I will buy from them between now and their next weird move (assuming it's inevitable), will be available to me indefinitely. This isn't because I trust GOG - it's because I back up everything I want to keep. Steam games too.

I mean, suppose they'll celebrate their third anniversary by merging with OnLive. And streaming pictures of Nazis drawn by South Park Studios to each corner of your screen. That would mean no more business from me after this, but it wouldn't devalue anything I already have or might want to get before then.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 02:35 

Someone said on the RPS comments that this might have been a display of why their no DRM policy is important... showing people with them you should make backups and then never worry about your games, where as on another service like Steam your backups only work if Steam is still around.

Interesting thought.

If they're still DRM free I'll buy from there still. I don't need Baldur's Gate though, I have the collection released in the UK a couple years back.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 09:59 
Editors
Editors

Someone said on the RPS comments that this might have been a display of why their no DRM policy is important... showing people with them you should make backups and then never worry about your games, where as on another service like Steam your backups only work if Steam is still around.

Interesting thought.

This, basically.

While I don't like the stunt they pulled, I'm gonna buy from them, as no DRM = you bought it, you own it, you have it forever. (Forever being relative). No "we have licensed this to you" rubbish where they can pull the plug at any second.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 16:12 
Editors
Editors

Phase 1: Hoax announcement
Phase 2: Monk video
Phase 3: Steam sucks
Phase 4: ????????????
Phase 5: Profit

:|