Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Oct 2024, 03:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 08:08 
Editors
Editors

I agree with you ctrlsteef but CodE-E claims to have a copy with the "Next Gen" stuff and his screenshot above doesn't look that much better than the non next gen one ... unlike the one from 3D gamers which looks sooooo much better than the one I took in the same place ... :?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 20:23 

Yeah unfortunately the PC version bears little resemblance to that 3dgamers screenshot even with "next generation content" enabled.

Here's my comparison, using the full game. All screenshots are taken using identical resolutions/settings/position, with the only difference being the next-gen content option.
1. you can see a pretty huge difference here.
1A. next-gen content enabled

1B. next-gen content disabled

2. in this one you can see some odd artifacts on lara's skin in the second shot, not sure what's going on there but it was very noticeable to me while playing.
2A. next-gen content enabled

2B. next-gen content disabled

3. this is pretty much the same spot as the 3dgamers shot, and the shot paddy took. also you can see some more weird graphics glitches in the second shot around lara's legs.
3A. next-gen content enabled

3B. next-gen content disabled

I actually prefer running with the next-gen content off. With it on I get a pretty inconsistent framerate, and usually it's below 30 fps, which isn't acceptable to me. With it turned off the framerate is usually above 80. It doesnt look as good, but I'd rather play a smooth game than a pretty one (and also Lara looks like a scary ape-woman with it on for some reason). My system: athlon64 3500, 1gb ram, 7800gt.

The strangest thing to me is the focus of light seems to be completely different with the next-gen content disabled. Seems like it wasn't given much attention.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 20:59 
Editors
Editors

I think the makers have been doing a few marketing tweaks to the screenshots ... :roll: :(

What a rip off !

Thanks for the pics zig ... 8)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 21:00 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, for sure. I don't like that kind of tactics. :evil:

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006, 20:13 
Editors
Editors

I think the makers have been doing a few marketing tweaks to the screenshots ... :roll: :(

What a rip off !

Thanks for the pics zig ... 8)

With as big a money spinner as the Tomb Raider series, are you really surprised...? ;)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006, 23:11 

With as big a money spinner as the Tomb Raider series, are you really surprised...? ;)

Not so much surprised, but I'm actually very very disappointed.

Publishers have resisted the urge to do this (afaik) for a very long time, they might run the game on unrealistic hardware, but every game I've bought for the last 15 years has done exactly what it say's on the tin.

Screenshot touching-up has gone on before in the 8-bit era and since then, the fierce competition for who's got the prettiest graphics has only increased - Yet, publishers have shown remarkable honesty by showing actual screens of a finished game.

Previews may be totally unrealistic (Killzone anyone?? :roll: ), but for a very long time, a finished game's screenshots have been an honest representation.

Lets hope eidos hasn't set a new trend.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006, 23:56 

Here are some screenshots made by myself of the area shown in those 3Dgamer.com screenshots:

(All graphics candy, including AA, turned on).

http://www.code-e.net/images/misc/trl2_normal.jpg
http://www.code-e.net/images/misc/trl2_nextgen.jpg

The water colour is slightly different in the 3Dgamers screenshots. Maybe their screenshots are from the XBox 360 version, or maybe it looks slightly different on ATi cards. Otherwise I don't see any real difference, so I don't think the Eidos marketing dudes have done any screenshot tampering...

Post subject: Odd..
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006, 14:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Supports WS juuust fine.

I get weird numbers when enabling/disabling stuff....

with Next Generation goodies ON, i get 18-50fps, with or without FSAA enabled. Oh and running at 1400x900

With Next Gen OFF and with FSAA ON i get 12-30fps
With Next Gen OFF and with FSAA OFF i get 100+fps

What the hell is THAT??
It runs better with Next Gen AND FSAA on than it does without the Next Gen on.

Specs:
3800+ Dual Core @ 2.3ghz
x1900 AIW 256mb @ default clock
2gb OCZ PC3200 -- 2.5,3,3,6
7200rpm WD

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006, 14:11 
Editors
Editors

I have that too. Really strange.
I hear everywhere that you get a real hit in performance when enabling next gen but too me it's exactly the opposite. :?

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006, 14:26 
Editors
Editors

Well I get quite a different picture ...

1920x1200 everything at max including Next Gen ...................... 30 - 100+ fps ...

1920x1200 everything at max including Next Gen but no AA ..... 10 - 40 fps ... :shock: :? ... and it jumps and stutters so I just can't play it.

1920x1200 everything at max without Next Gen ........................ 60 - 100+ fps

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next