Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 05:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Prey Demo!
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2006, 23:50 

no kidding...that engine STILL amazes me.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2006, 14:36 

I did see the QuakeWars videos, but until I see the actual game in action I won't change my opinion. I don't give in to hype and so far everything I saw based on D3 engine was totally unimpressive. Quake4 videos looked good too.

Besides, I don't care if some engine is higher tech than other, it doesn't mean it's better - HL2 looks and plays (physics) a lot better to me than D3, Q4 and Prey.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 06:00 

Gogo, I have a 6800gt agp, 2800+ 64, and 1gig ram and experience only minor slowdown in high action. So somethin's wrong.

I think some of you could benefit from a read about "how code works" and I think you'll be more impressed with the Doom engine. After playing Doom-3 and Quake 4, I was really impressed, I've never seen so many detailed shadows/lights at the same time.

I just really wish they'd make games with a more realistic feel, IE, mix the game-play of HL/HL2/Quake, with sneaking and realistic character vulnerability of Thief-3 and problem solving of Riven, and iron sights, slow the character down, no reticule, no super-weapons, a real adventure. Man, I hope someone like Spielberg gets involved with games.

Actually, if you like not knowing how games work behind the scenes, i might recommend not reading about coding. :D

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 06:16 

I did see the QuakeWars videos, but until I see the actual game in action I won't change my opinion. I don't give in to hype and so far everything I saw based on D3 engine was totally unimpressive. Quake4 videos looked good too.

Besides, I don't care if some engine is higher tech than other, it doesn't mean it's better - HL2 looks and plays (physics) a lot better to me than D3, Q4 and Prey.

You're not talking about the engine then, you're talking about the games. I didn't really like any of those games, doesn't mean their engines were bad. Mount and Blade is one of my favorite games, but the engine is still very low tech and pretty crappy.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 15:07 

No, I am talking about the engine. Q4 and D3 were two major (at least in terms of hype) games based on this engine. If these games are not good indicators of the D3 engine's capabilities then what would be? In both games the outdoor areas are underwhelming, even the sky looks horrible. There was supposed to be some amazing outdoor Mars scenery according to Doom3 previews and we all know what they amounted to.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 16:14 

No, I am talking about the engine. Q4 and D3 were two major (at least in terms of hype) games based on this engine. If these games are not good indicators of the D3 engine's capabilities then what would be? In both games the outdoor areas are underwhelming, even the sky looks horrible. There was supposed to be some amazing outdoor Mars scenery according to Doom3 previews and we all know what they amounted to.

You're still mixing up the engines with the games. The skyboxes are the work of the artists. Neither of those games tried to make large outdoor area's, they were corridor shooters.

Why don't you just say that you didn't like the games and be done with it. However much you may have liked HL2, the engine can't do what either the D3 or Cry engines can.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 16:45 

No, you just don't see my point. Maybe I'm not making myself clear. Quake4 had some outdoor scenes and they were really bad. The one with the tank, the one where you shoot the turrets, etc. They were bad and limited compared to what FC, HL2 and Unreal (gee, even years old Halo) engines can do. They look as if they were designed to hide long sight distances and the detail level is very low and the backdrops are horribly simple. The few scenes with the tank that have long sight distances are basically corridors as they have high walls on both sides and there are few arena-like areas also with high walls. Why? Did the artists and designers simply choose not to bother making them look better and larger? Then why having the outdoor scenes in the first place anyway? Just do the whole thing inside and be done with it. No, IMHO it is because the engine can't handle large outdoor environments. Doom 3 was hyped to have real outdoor Mars scenery. It didn't in the end and those few outdoor scenes were laughable. The players movement and sight distances were limited on purpose. The scene when you ride the sky train (or whatever you may call it) has you locked inside, so you can admire some of the outdoors but that's essentially a canyon and your line of sight is limited most of the time. Why? It just feels as if the designers put those scenes in just to prove to naysayers that D3 can do outdoors, but they tried hard to cover its limitations.

D3 engine has the most advanced lighting and shadows technologies but I do believe, until proven wrong, that it can't handle large outdoors. It was designed for indoor action. If that wasn't the case the outdoor scenes in Quake 4 would look a lot better. Yes, I didn't like both games but part of the reason is that the engine has limitations and I happen to like large outdoor areas in games. So the D3 enegine is what I have issues with and I wish to see games built around other engines rather than D3. Of course, it's possible the D3 engine will be updated and tweaked for Quake Wars and other future games but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Yes, HL2 used the same tricks to hide long sight distances - it's mostly urban areas full of buildings - but it didn't make you feel that way. HL2 and Cry engines create more realistic and immersive environments despite the lack of such advanced lighting and shadows techniques.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 17:07 

So what you're saying is that the Quake Wars trailers and screenshots all all fake?

You're still confusing artistic direction with engine capabilites.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 17:26 

No, I'm saying that they're from a game that we haven't seen yet and a version of D3 engine we haven't seen either. What I said is based on playing the actual games that were released so far, not watching preview videos, and so far I'm not impressed. When I see a playable version of the actual QuakeWars game and I may be convinced otherwise. As of now, I'm not.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 18:06 
Editors
Editors

Hey Cabezone,
could you please resize your avatar (or pic another one) that isnt bigger than 168x105 pixels? ty :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next