Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 23:57 

[quote]is this the new beta steam ?

Its technically out of beta now, they removed the beta icon and it is forced upon everyone on monday.
lol ok I guess ... anyway it was time that a download service got those kind of basic information ...
I wouldn't have thought that a seven years old, worldwide number 1 online selling platform would include such a poor client ...

by the way this old client seems to not resume downloads stopped by non-user interactions (aka probably errors or something...)
I hope the new one is better ...

as for steam ports : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

edit: After struggling for 5 hours with the thing, I thought I was going to play after steam told me "ready to play" but it seems not, it's desperately trying to launch the stupid game for minutes and minutes and minutes...
I guess I'm going to try the beta... hopefully I'll be able to play one of those days ...
the beta was better only a single minute to launch the game :bowdown

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 03:10 

other quirks :
-can't download an update & launch another steam game at the same time .....
so I'm forced to play a non-steam game .... :evil:
-changing spoken language (to check out the quality of voices) causes a redownload of something ...

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 06:51 

other quirks :
-can't download an update & launch another steam game at the same time .....
so I'm forced to play a non-steam game .... :evil:
-changing spoken language (to check out the quality of voices) causes a redownload of something ...

I have never had the first, I've always downloaded stuff and played other steam games at the same time. The update just gets paused though.

I suspect the second one is just steam being smart. Only supplying you with one language pack until you choose otherwise to save space. I like it if that is the case.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 13:10 

yeah lol that's exactly what I meant, paused update while playing a steam game while you can play any other non-steam game without interrupting the update and more specifically its download ... It's a bother when you have low bandwith & several hundred megabytes to download

and sure it is smart to not install unused languages... however it could warn about the download before forcing you to do it with no way to interrupt it ... (moreso when the box actually states that the needed languages are included on the DVD)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 17:10 

owever it could warn about the download before forcing you to do it with no way to interrupt it

Fair enough :)

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 10:25 

I've been using Steam for many years now and I find it to be quite good. Not having to worry about CD's, boxes, or keys is great. Being able to reload my games as many times as needed is good too. The requirement to be online isn't that bad, it isn't like Ubisoft's constant connection rubbish for AC2, and there is an offline mode.

One system that has annoyed me so much is Games For Windows Live. I have had so many bad experiences with that system it isn't even funny. Being unable to play my saves when it demands to update inside my game..not registering when I updated the client...having to use their awful MS-points driven marketplace...forgetting my login info...ect. I really wish they hadn't chosen to use it for Fallout 3 and Dawn of War 2. GTA 4 was also a nightmare with GFWL. :x

Download times for Steam don't bother me that much since my campus has an amazing connection...I usually get 900 KB/s+. :mrgreen:

Now...sure I could drive to the store and attempt to purchase the retail copy, but that assumes they have it in stock, and that I wish to stomach the cost of tax and gas spent to get there. That's quite a bit of extra cost for a small piece of plastic an a printed booklet. I could see special-edition purchases might be OK at a store if you can't already find free-shipping online.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 04:29 

[quote]-no download size information
-no download prioritize
-no concurrent download limit (hurrah to updating all your games at once !)

well let's just say that while the update information worked Ok the first time I updated (accurate download size & time)
it is not too reliable either
10 hours @ 80kB/s = 125MB ... search the error :?

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 07:57 
Editors
Editors

Is there any way to disable Steam Cloud (other than to start Steam in offline mode) ? I'm getting a lot more stupid sync'ing problems with the new Steam. The game launches but savegames are not loaded until I quit and restart the game... Annoying for a "service" I don't give a rat's ass about.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 11:03 

As far as I'm aware it's only possible to disable the Cloud sync in the Left 4 Dead games (maybe other Source games as well), not globally. I don't know, that's one thing I don't like about Steam, some really basic things like that one are just missing or not working as expected. Take the notification options for example. There are menus for setting up individual notifications, but most of them just aren't working.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 13:14 
Insiders
Insiders

From what I've seen, it's game-dependent. It's a shame there's no option for it, as it gives some troubles. I found a thread speaking of a line in a .txt file that Steam generated, but it no longer seems to exist.

I've never had an issue with it, and personally love it. It lets me play my saved games at others' houses. Yes, that's how social I am.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next