Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Aug 2024, 21:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 03:29 
Insiders
Insiders

Gaming class computers and nice big widescreen monitors aren't monthly dedications

Neither is a computer game.

And why assume broadband internet access?

It's very difficult to download a game without one.

I was just discussing piracy with a friend minutes ago, he made a good point (Reminded me) that even if there was no such thing as piracy, It would barely help. I know that I would not buy THAT many more games, I would play the games that i bought more and I would be wise with what I spent my money on. The point is 95% of the games that I pirate I would not buy even if it was the only option of obtaining it.

It would be very difficult to prove that. It's equally difficult to take this claim seriously when they admit to spending hundreds of dollars on a "decent" PC that serves mainly to play said games that they claim they wouldn't have spent a penny on anyway.

For instance lets say you put $200 in savings for food. You want to buy a game and have no money that hasn't been budgeted. You say "I have no money" because you have money that is to be used for food.

If you're working fulltime at even a crappy job, you're probably making at least $200 in a week. You don't need to spend $200 to feed two people for just the week it took you to earn it. Claiming you budgeted 100% of your income on food doesn't work unless you're trying to feed four people on a single minimum wage income. In Kansas.

Whatever I budget, after that goes to paying off student loans, and after that hopefully new tires before winter.

If paying off loans and having new tires is more important to you than having computer games, then this is the right decision. But this decision comes with another responsibility - forfeiting the games that you've deemed less important.

unless you know someone life situation I highly recommend you keep your month shut when making personal comments

If you don't like people making "personal comments," then I suggest you not give "personal" excuses for pirating games. Such as "honestly I have no money" (but if I were rich I'd totally buy my games).

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 04:26 

Gaming class computers and nice big widescreen monitors aren't monthly dedications

Neither is a computer game.

And why assume broadband internet access?

It's very difficult to download a game without one.
First off, a computer game isn't a monthly dedication, but it is something that is purchased usually every three months or so by the casual gamer. It's not something that once purchased a goal is achieved and it isn't a thought after that. If you're into video games, you have to spend money now and then on video games. Computers and monitors last years, games cycle.

It's easy to download a game without broadband internet access. It just takes longer.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 05:07 
Insiders
Insiders

First off, a computer game isn't a monthly dedication, but it is something that is purchased usually every three months or so by the casual gamer.

So what? What does it matter what casual gamers "usually" do? The fact of the matter is that games are not a monthly dedication. There's no reason not to buy only what you can afford and live without the games you can't. Even if this means less than one game every three months.

It's not something that once purchased a goal is achieved and it isn't a thought after that.

That depends on how high your income is. If your income is high enough that you don't have to "save up" for a brand new game, then your "some of us don't have the extravagant sums of money to pay for things other than essential modern civilized needs" claim holds no water.

you have to spend money now and then on video games

And if you can afford a gaming PC and a monitor just once, you can afford the video games "now and then."

It's easy to download a game without broadband internet access. It just takes longer.

It would hardly be a good investment of your time. Or electricity bill.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 05:09 

Wait wait wait, People uh turn off their computers?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 05:36 

First off, a computer game isn't a monthly dedication, but it is something that is purchased usually every three months or so by the casual gamer.

So what? What does it matter what casual gamers "usually" do? The fact of the matter is that games are not a monthly dedication. There's no reason not to buy only what you can afford and live without the games you can't. Even if this means less than one game every three months.

Neither is cable, neither is a residence, neither is internet access, neither is food for that matter.

There's no reason to not live in a building and not survive off of your own muscles. Even if this means your life span is cut down to only a few weeks.

It's not something that once purchased a goal is achieved and it isn't a thought after that.

That depends on how high your income is. If your income is high enough that you don't have to "save up" for a brand new game, then your "some of us don't have the extravagant sums of money to pay for things other than essential modern civilized needs" claim holds no water.
But if your income isn't that high, then saving up for a brand new game once a year and that being the only spare amount of money around, then it's a constant strain on your cash flow, budgeting or no budgeting.

you have to spend money now and then on video games

And if you can afford a gaming PC and a monitor just once, you can afford the video games "now and then."
Um, no, because cash flow can vary quite a bit. The point I was making with the monitor and the PC being one-time payments is that if your cash flow is 1500 dollars a month and you have an excess amount at one point to buy nice electronics, and then you get fired and are forced to get a job that pays 200 dollars a month (obviously an exaggeration for the point), then you no longer have the influx of money and thus it's unreasonable to justify a "you have a nice computer so you should be able to buy video games" argument.

I wouldn't say it's a bad investment of your time because you don't have to monitor it, but it would be an incredible waste of electricity.

That is of course you're not hijacking electricity from your neighbor...

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 10:24 
Editors
Editors

Starforce is/was a mess. I first encountered it with problem is Silent Hunter 2. Tremendous installation problem!

StarForce is the best example of DRM taken way, way too far. The backlash against StarForce has been significant, to the point where it's really only used in territories that see ultra-high piracy rates (Russia etc.). SecuROM is headed down that road, though. :(

General - £5 doesn't quite work out to $5, but I guess after you include R.O.B syndrome, it probably would be about $5 in the States... so, yeah. $5, and I'll 'rent' my games. Any more than that, and the publishers can take a running jump.

Y'know, I'm getting kinds bored of this thread. Well, not the whole thread, as some of the points raised have been quite interesting... but I've had this sense of deja vu with some posts. And that is boring me.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 14:15 

I just bought Warhead without knowing the DRM until it asks me to go online for activiation. This part is acceptable

Erm what if you dont have the internet?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 15:03 
Insiders
Insiders

What kind of freak has a computer AND plays games, and doesn't have internet access?

Is it a cheesy requirement, but not hard to achieve. Not that i support that crap or anything...

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 15:06 

What kind of freak has a computer AND plays games, and doesn't have internet access?

Is it a cheesy requirement, but not hard to achieve. Not that i support that crap or anything...

There are actually quite a few people that have such.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 20:33 

For instance lets say you put $200 in savings for food. You want to buy a game and have no money that hasn't been budgeted. You say "I have no money" because you have money that is to be used for food.

If you're working fulltime at even a crappy job, you're probably making at least $200 in a week. You don't need to spend $200 to feed two people for just the week it took you to earn it. Claiming you budgeted 100% of your income on food doesn't work unless you're trying to feed four people on a single minimum wage income. In Kansas.

You obviously did not catch the concept and went straight after the idea.

Your argument is flawed, your attacking our reasons for piracy instead of defending the companies. You make no arguement to justify any companies pathetic and abusive means to protect content that end users buy and justify it all under the umbrella that "its not your right".

Does pursuit of happiness make it a right? maybe. Maybe not. Do I care? No. Want I want from is a viable, intelligent REASON for companies doing this. Not rebuttals to our reasoning of why we do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next