Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Aug 2024, 03:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 00:27 

my problem with having a constant internet connection is I work a 7 on 7 off roster. So when I have my 7 off i'm at home with a reliable internet connection, but when im at work living in camp for a week I only have a unreliable wireless connection which is pre-paid. so if its constantly checking back with the server thats using up paid time or no good reason.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 05:16 

It comes down to assuming everyone lives the way you do and has the internet you do and all your friends do, real life or otherwise.

The world is a varied place and the people here are a minority, I feel that a single player game needing internet is unreasonable for those reasons.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 06:40 

It comes down to assuming everyone lives the way you do and has the internet you do and all your friends do, real life or otherwise.

The world is a varied place and the people here are a minority, I feel that a single player game needing internet is unreasonable for those reasons.

Well it is a personal decision. For me constant internet is normal, for others it might not be. Paradigm Shifter if I recall correctly keeps the internet away from his gaming PC entirely, so obviously this is a big deal for him. I don't understand that or agree with it, but people are different and it is his decision to make.

The important thing to remember in my opinion is not to assume everyone agrees with you. That goes for me thinking this is ok if it works, and for others thinking this is never ok under any circumstances.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 10:51 
Editors
Editors

For me constant internet is normal, for others it might not be. Paradigm Shifter if I recall correctly keeps the internet away from his gaming PC entirely, so obviously this is a big deal for him.

:) It's not offline 100% of the time, but it's only online when downloading new Steam games. Otherwise, it doesn't have a connection. <3 Offline Mode. Given that I don't play online, I see no reason for games to know the internet exists. ;)

It's like digital distribution. Many Americans see no issues with it, anyone with an ISP that caps/throttles the internet call it a nightmare. ;)

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 04:14 

[quote]If it doesn't work though, I will hate it, because it will not serve a purpose but to annoy me.

I think thats where you and the rest of us differ though. You seem to be expecting it to succeed, we expect it to fail. After it fails we will all be back on the same page according to this quote.

http://kotaku.com/5485179/rumor-ubisofts-new-drm-scheme-already-torpedoed-by-pirates

Are we all on the same page now StingingVelvet, or are you still going to stick up for the DRM?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 11:03 

http://kotaku.com/5485359/ubisoft-making-emergency-changes-to-pc-drm LOL

At least they are trying to make it better.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 11:18 

thanks for the updates DaFox

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 13:11 

[quote][quote]If it doesn't work though, I will hate it, because it will not serve a purpose but to annoy me.

I think thats where you and the rest of us differ though. You seem to be expecting it to succeed, we expect it to fail. After it fails we will all be back on the same page according to this quote.

http://kotaku.com/5485179/rumor-ubisofts-new-drm-scheme-already-torpedoed-by-pirates

Are we all on the same page now StingingVelvet, or are you still going to stick up for the DRM?

Silent Hunter 5 used a weaker version without cloud saves... let's wait for AC2.

Also, this is rumor.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 15:30 
Editors
Editors

It's not rumour, and it was absolutely inevitable.

How Ubi could have even thought for a second this was a good idea is just insane. :|

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 18:00 

Ubisoft has denied the DRM is cracked... the versions online are missing tons of key features, experience massive glitching and in AC2 you cannot save.

In other words they cracked the server requirement to launch but it is missing all the content, accesses and permissions the server sends. Emulating that stuff was always going to be the hard part in cracking these games. Silent Hunter 5 has very little server-side, which is why it has been claimed as a success for pirates despite some errors and such. AC2 is much more complicated, which is why we have brief and vague screenshots and nothing else.

And for the record I am just seeking honesty here, no pushing one way or the other. Declaring it cracked and useless without the facts is not helping anyone, just being inaccurate. If it is fully cracked in a matter of days then I will be the first one to say so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next