Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 02:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I try an xbox
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 19:10 

I recently got permission from my wife to retire our DLP widescreen to the game room. I have tried playing a few games on it and I'm totally disappointed in the resolution. The resolution that fits the screen is 1176 x 664. The TV will go to 1920 x 1080 but there is major overscan and I have no idea how to use power strip. I have tried and even minor changes cause the TV screen to go black. Most games have to be played in an even lower res because the game doesn't support the res the TV is capable of doing.

All that said should I keep after the PC gaming aspect or should I try an xbox or some similar TV gaming box?

I never owned a gaming box so I need to know will it resolve some of my issues with resolution and clarity or will I be fighting the same problem with a gaming box?

Thanks

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 20:00 

well if you have a flat pannel that will do 1080p then a good video card should work with it over DVI or HDMI

8800GTS or GTX would be best for that

for the DLP id go with a xbox360 for that the res is odd.. but it should work ok...

but then the 360 would look almost as good as a PC on you main TV
if you used VGA or component cables

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 20:55 

The DLP has a HDMI connection

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 21:14 
Founder
Founder

There are DVI>HDMI cables. What is the brand/model of the TV? I'm sure that will help in the discussion.

PS...
I recently got permission from my wife to retire our DLP widescreen to the game room.

It's amazing how we all end up having to ask permission. Finally getting permission to buy our DLP was a long, arduous process.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 09:26 

If you try a 360 I would go with the Elite model with HDMI if you can. I've read consoles can lag on DLPs especially on analog connection ports. Personally I don't know why DLPs would lag more, as their response times are in microseconds rather than miliseconds. Maybe it's the video processing that slows things down.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 15:25 

I have the laptop connected to the TV with dvi>hdmi cable. The TV is a Toshiba 62HM95. Everyones comments have been helpful and greatly appreciated but I guess what I'm needing is someone that has seen or was able to compare a gaming box setup connected to a large TV to a good computer setup to large TV.

Thanks