Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 02:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 23:08 
Insiders
Insiders

I just stumbled upon this. Here's the full version of Far Cry, free to download. The only catch is that the game has McDonald's ads during the loading screens. No big deal IMO.
http://www.fileplanet.com/180410/180000/fileinfo/Far-Cry-Full-Game-

Also, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time:
http://www.fileplanet.com/180411/180000/fileinfo/Prince-of-Persia:-Sands-of-Time-Full-Game-

And Ghost Recon:
http://www.fileplanet.com/180412/180000/fileinfo/Tom-Clancy

And I guess there's also Rayman Raving Rabbids. But that doesn't mean you have to play it.
http://www.fileplanet.com/180428/180000/fileinfo/Rayman-Raving-Rabbids-

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 23:21 

Hmm, I already own it, but it'd be interesting to see just what they would consider an acceptable number of ads would be. Anyone else try it out yet?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 23:30 
Insiders
Insiders

It being such an old game it ca be bought for $10.

Adverts in games ia a super shitty - al-la Splinter Cell 3, which shoudl've made it a free game as well.

Then again, Far Cry is fairly easy to mod... if they coudl br removed (and i didn't already own it) I'd surely grab it.

I really hope this trend doesn't go to far, though I expect it will. If a game is full of ads, it shoudl be FREE. Or, pay to have the ads removed.

Piracy looks more delicious all the time.

But it IS an awesome game... one of my top favourites.

PS - anyoen else notive that the weapon in the screenshot iosn't in teh original release? wrong screen, or new guns?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 00:39 

I can understand how this would work in BF2142 (the ad signs in game, that were some kind of test for how much attention they drew from the player), but how are the going to do it in Far Cry, pop-up ads, banners? :?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 00:42 

I have just had a thought. Now I know that the people who made the advertisement version have probably thought of these things, but would installing the x64 bit modification/patch over the top of the game kill the adverts?

Not that this matters to me, as I already own the full game.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 00:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Piracy looks more delicious all the time.

See, this is one of the reasons why it sucks to be a software developer. People steal your stuff because they can and they'd rather have games for free. And if you give them it for free yourself, they'll just twist it around and use it to justify their habit. If you really hate advergames, maybe you should try advocating *buying* games so that the devs don't have to look to alternate sources of income.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 05:32 

Software in general and especially games can get pricey in no-time.
some of what is right now:
- many games lack demos and even those that do often are too restricted to give you any clue if you should buy a game.
- many reviews have either been blackmailed or bought to give you skewed views of games often not worth your attention.
- I've yet to be able to name 1 recent game that doesn't need a patch out the gate which fixed show-stopping problems, not insignifigant last-minute details.
- for every good game, theres a bucketload of money-grabbing not to be touched with a 20ft pole suckfests.

Downloaded games while not completely ethical do serve a purpose. For example, of those I've obtained through such means. For every one worth it I've bought, those that weren't met oblivion.

Including some I would have bought from the demo, but would have regretted once in the full game.

Add to that the general no-return and fairly rare 2nd hand pc games scene and it does make a point not to dismiss piracy as entirely bad.

Studies have shown they've helped create sales too.

I'm not arguing people who hoard thousands of files they never use, or make a profit off someone else are right, they're by all means wrong. But on a personnal scale to preview software to buy and delete those you won't, it would be nice to have a legal basis for it.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 05:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Pirated games serve no purpose but to satisfy the gaming desires of selfish freeloaders. Arguing that they can generate sales is nonsense. If the devs thought that making the entire game free would boost their sales (or generate other revenue), they'd make it free. This is currently the case with Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. This is currently not the case with the majority of games.

Add to that the general no-return and fairly rare 2nd hand pc games scene and it does make a point not to dismiss piracy as entirely bad.

What's fairly rare? I can go onto eBay and purchase a used copy of pretty much any game you could think of.

But on a personnal scale to preview software to buy and delete those you won't, it would be nice to have a legal basis for it.

That's exactly what demos are for.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 14:59 
Editors
Editors

I'm going to provide a little warning in this thread.

Encuraging to piracy is not allowed here on WSGF.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 15:27 

But on a personnal scale to preview software to buy and delete those you won't, it would be nice to have a legal basis for it.

While cranky already responded nicely, I couldn't help but read your post and think about people who complain about $50 games that may give them multiple-multiple hours of enjoyment, but have no problem slapping down $10+ to see some crapfest of a ninety-minute film at the theater? Entertainment time/$ ratio seems much higher for a game.

But anyway, your post to me read this way: If I go to the theater, and watch the entire film, I should be able to demand a ticket refund if I can state "I won't be buying the DVD."

It's like ordering a pizza, then calling and saying it was awful and want a refund. And the pizza joint wants the unused pizza returned so they can tell if they did something wrong.

"Well, we already ate it."

You mean to tell me that the pizza was so bad that you ate the WHOLE thing?

back to gaming:

I am in the opposite boat. I buy games and they sit around for years. I still haven't opened FEAR/Riddick/Serious Sam 2/Quake 4. They were bought when they came out, two years ago. I ALMOST bought FSX, but decided not to when I accepted that I've bought FS2000/2002/2004, and haven't even opened those yet!

So, in my case, I wouldn't mind waiting yet another year if it meant playing the above for free, but with ads.

But, even with crappy games that maybe never get fully patched, my feeling still is that if you got some enjoyment out of it, you should put some money down for it.

And if they can't be bothered to get it fully patched until the price has gone from $50 down to $20, then pay the $20 for it...

Besides, I've read through what you need to do with some pirated copies of games to get them running on a system (clone programs and such), and it seems more of a nuisance (and potential risk to my system) than just slapping down $20...

The last time I can remember downloading a pirated copy of a game and actually bothering to play it though is maybe Doom and Duke. But that's because I already own a license and am just too lazy to find the media...

(and if I need a new license for the Windows version vs. the DOS version, well, that's lame...)

But, to end, entertainment is a crapshoot. No theater is going to let you watch the entire movie, then let you decide on a refund. Game devs should be allowed the same standard. if they can't make a demo of any kind for you to see (real gameplay of just footage of some sort), then I assume the game just sucked too bad for them to be bothered with it.

Although I should note that from the sound of it Crysis is being delayed at they want stable drivers from Nvidia for the DX10 version of the game. While it'd be nice to have the dx9 version now, and wait for a dx10 patch, you do have to admit it appears these devs want everything as right as can be right out of the box. Be a shame if this needs to be pirated first...

(then again, I have no interest in probably about 95+% of games out there, I don't have the interest of the time... So maybe my entire viewpoint should be ignored...)

FYI: the last two games I have installed are Prey about six months ago, and Trackmania Nations exactly one year ago.

I did install the Bioshock demo. Strange how a demo can also COST a dev a sale! Oops!

(Bioshock's dev's FUBARs still can't justify pirating it, though...)