Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 06:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HD monitors?
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 07:01 

Hey well im planning to get a 22 inch monitor, still undecided, one thing about the monitor i will probably be doing is hooking up an xbox 360 to it via VGA, i was wondering if i wuld only get "hd" quality out of a monitor that supposedly supports HD content? im still a bit lost in the area. ive seen the gateway HD 22inch monitors, and thus far the only monitor that actually has it labled as HD. other monitors ive been reading about, seem to have people running their 360s on it too, their DVI connections are HDCP compliant, with all this stuff im just a bit lost. i jsut need a good monitor guide somewhere to explain all the new tech in the market. any help?

also with all this move to "HD" do graphic cards have the ability to output "HD" quality content now? and if only certain monitors will require? thanks sorry if im a bit confusing.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 14:22 
Founder
Founder

This should give you a good start

As a general rule
Consols suck when played on PC Monitors - they are best played on TVs
& DVD viewing on PC's is usually not as good as a DVD player on a TV

Tutorial: Viewing Image Quality-PC Monitor/TV/Consoles/DVD

Tutorial: HDMI - The Ins & Outs

Sticky: HDCP Compliant PC Monitor/HDTV List - Constant Updates

RE: "monitor that actually has it labled as HD"

any monitor with WWWW X 720 (or greater) is technically "HD"

How-To: Choosing WS Resolutions, Aspect Ratios, Screen Sizes

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 15:15 

i actually went through most of the stickies, didnt really answer my question though.
but then are most LCD monitors now capable of outputtin HD content then?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 20:50 

Alrite!, disregard my last reply, im beggining to understand, and realize how stupid i sound.

Ive been planning on purchasing a 22inch monitor mostly for extra real estate while video editing, and gaming. ive also been thinking about purchasing a 360 to put in my room and play too. regarding the 360, when i purchase the VGA adaptor i will still need some source of audio. with monitors that have built in audio, how will i go about to connecting the rca cables to the monitor (which i believe dont come with most of them) to recieve the sound? it seems that most of my options regarding audio in this aspect will be with using a rca to mini and plug into a pair of speakers.

ive also noticed soem monitors come iwith component inputs, would this be a better choice to use that the VGA?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 21:58 

Lots of great info there Dougofthenorth !!!
Thanks...

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 22:26 
Editors
Editors

DAGO, see pm. :wink:

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 16:10 

Alrite!, disregard my last reply, im beggining to understand, and realize how stupid i sound.

Ive been planning on purchasing a 22inch monitor mostly for extra real estate while video editing, and gaming. ive also been thinking about purchasing a 360 to put in my room and play too. regarding the 360, when i purchase the VGA adaptor i will still need some source of audio. with monitors that have built in audio, how will i go about to connecting the rca cables to the monitor (which i believe dont come with most of them) to recieve the sound? it seems that most of my options regarding audio in this aspect will be with using a rca to mini and plug into a pair of speakers.

ive also noticed soem monitors come iwith component inputs, would this be a better choice to use that the VGA?

In my experience, the VGA output of the 360 is a lot sharper and better looking than the component out, although its a little washed out, and you need to tweak the monitor to get the best from it.

The VGA cable comes with an adapter to convert the phono plugs to a minijack so you can use it with your PC speakers, or through the line-in on your soundcard.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007, 22:46 

I have a setup like that the sound adapter dual phono female to mini stereo female I ordered from Hong Kong . Which I later found out that it came with one in my speakers 2.1 logitech set. So order MY speakers and you will be good to go.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9066

Works great