Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 14:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Call of Duty 4
PostPosted: 08 May 2007, 17:18 
Editors
Editors

Thought I'd start up the hype thread on the next installment of this!

Call Of Duty 4, if you've seen/heard anything about it you'll know this, has been moved from it's World War II setting into what looks like a setting very similar to Rainbow Six. (source) [Update] Call of Duty's campaign system, essentially playing through a number of small individual and independent scenarios stacked back to back, has been ditched, instead you have two storylines, one played from viewpoint of an SAS trooper and the other a member of US elite fighting force Force Recon, that interweave, with both plots coming together in a climax on Russian soil.(source)

You can find the first trailer [here]

Along with a 3D screenshot (quicktime) [here]

The game is being developed by Infinity Ward again, as opposed to Treyarch who developed Call of Duty 3 on the Xbox360, which in my opinion was rubbish!

[Updated 19/5/07]
Infinity Ward president Grant Collier explains that the developer really wants CoD 4 "to play out like an episode of 24", and to this end it's been working with TV scriptwriters "who understand how to get a strong, episodic storyline going".

"We're able to have continuous characters throughout the game while being able to change locations," he continues. "In previous games we changed locations through the various campaigns, but you lost contact with all the characters from that storyline. And besides Price and McGregor, do you really remember any of the characters from Call Of Duty? No. Our goal is for you to really get to know these characters, to have an attachment to them, and at the end of the game, remember them."
[/Update]

[Updated 13/6/07]
CVG.co.uk have posted up a quite lengthy Preview of the game along with some new screenshots here
[/Update]

[Updated 18/6/07]
Taken from CVG's interview with Grant Collier, President of Infinity Ward, here is a list of confirmed new features...

[list] # "We've been working with TV writers who are masters of episodic content, who create great teasers at the end of the episode to get you waiting for a whole week until the next show pops up. We've been working with them to really make a lot of very interesting twists and turns in the storyline and get people really engaged."

# You can fly an attack helicopter for one (or more) of the missions.

# The weapons will be fully customisable with scopes, grenade launchers, laser targeting and silencers.

# The SAS missions will be heavily stealth orientated.

# They've created a "procedural clutter system that populates the world", a "a proprietary physics system for ragdoll and destructible environments" and "accurate bullet penetration"

# Multiplayer - [list]Call Of Duty Classic mode
Realism Mode (one shot one kill)
There will be "Hard Points" which give the controlling team some kind of advantage.[/list:u]
[/list:u]
[/Update]

Update E3 07
A new trailer has been released at E3 showing all sorts of stuff, looks ace Trailer mirrored at Gamershell
[/update]

I'm pretty excited about it as i was starting to tire of playing freakin' WWII all the time, although general opinions seem to be pretty mixed on this, as it's always going to be difficult to break a successful mold.

A release date has yet to be announced.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 08 May 2007, 20:02 

I saw this last night.....looks good, but of course it's not actual gameplay shown :(

For an unedited version of the trailer go here. You have to register, but they don't ask too many questions....

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 04:40 
Editors
Editors

hmm wow I didnt even know cod3 was out...

I enjoyed the 2nd one for 1 player but online wasnt able to impress me.

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 05:59 

hmm wow I didnt even know cod3 was out...

I enjoyed the 2nd one for 1 player but online wasnt able to impress me.

3 was only released on consoles and was not made by the same guys that made 1 and 2. And it failed to impress most people.

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 07:43 
Editors
Editors

Finally, a new concept for the game. I was getting pretty sick with the WWII concept.
Hope this brings some new stuff to the game series. And let's hope it plays as good as CoDII.
My guess is this could become the new lanparty game for me. :P

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 16:08 

I hope this will be an up to date fast paced shooter. BF2 is too slow.

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 16:40 
Editors
Editors

I hope this will be an up to date fast paced shooter. BF2 is too slow.

Exactly, and I want maps with good sniper spots so I can drive my colleagues to insanity again. :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 17:10 
Editors
Editors

People have expressed fears of a poor console port, but from what i can understand, this is going to be PC only, at least at first. Hopefully this will secure decent multiplayer like the first COD had.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 18:03 
Insiders
Insiders

They should call it "Call of Duty 3: ". Because Call of Duty 2 hasn't had a sequel yet (CoD 3 is the sequel to Call of Duty 2: Big Red One, which is a different game).

PostPosted: 15 May 2007, 09:32 

People have expressed fears of a poor console port, but from what i can understand, this is going to be PC only, at least at first. Hopefully this will secure decent multiplayer like the first COD had.

PC only? Really? If so sweet. I am tired of getting console hand-me downs. About time we got back to the natural order of things. Let them have the crappy ports.

Well one down. We just need to get Medal of Honor out of WW2.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next