Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Jun 2024, 21:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007, 18:54 

Lets take a look....

Xbox 360.

16:9

4:3

16:9

4:3

Thanks to Paddy, here is a PC screenshot. The red area being what is cut away when in widescreen. Seems the 360 version is alot darker looking, but the digital camera didn't help...

As you can see the FOV is cut away from the top and bottom, just like Bioshock. Therefore it is Vert- on both systems.

Both these games use the Unreal engine 3, is the engine to blame? I sure hope Unreal Tournament 3 isn't like this...

::TrueWS :WWTH2Go

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007, 23:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Cheesy.

Though as it as pretty easy to fix in the previous UT agmes, I'm holding out hope that IF '07 (3, which ever) doesn't ot support it it will be just as easy to remedy.

But I'd be quite surprised if that will be the case.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007, 23:58 
Editors
Editors

You know we fixed it ... ?

logical ... came up with this ... for WS ...
Default:

FOV 108:

Original thread ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/8037#comment-159873

And for Triplehead ... I then came up with this ...

Solution for TripleHead here ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/8070

BTW ...
... Seems the 360 version is alot darker looking ...
I lightened the screenshot to make it easier to see for the purposes of the overlay ...

Never the less ... as you say we don't want this vert- rubbish for UT III !

:savews ... ::TrueWS ... :WWTH2Go

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 00:07 
Editors
Editors

Cheesy.

Though as it as pretty easy to fix in the previous UT agmes, I'm holding out hope that IF '07 (3, which ever) doesn't ot support it it will be just as easy to remedy.

But I'd be quite surprised if that will be the case.
Bioshock uses the same engine and there was no way for everyday users to fix that ... :wink:
Racer_S had to do some pretty fancy hacking to come up with his FOV tool.

Don't count on it being easy ... !

:savews ... ::TrueWS ... :WWTH2Go

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 01:03 

I'm going to be angry if they screw up UT3 like this. Because of Bioshock, I've learned that I'm rather sensitive to the whole FOV zooming. Not only do I see less, but I almost get dizzy from it.

:savews

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 02:54 

I'm going to be angry if they screw up UT3 like this. Because of Bioshock, I've learned that I'm rather sensitive to the whole FOV zooming. Not only do I see less, but I almost get dizzy from it.

:savews

Of course UT3 is gonna be VERT-. In general most FPS developers consider changing the FOV as cheating and they believe that widening the view for widescreen users gives them an unfair advantage. The obvious solution to this is to crop the widescreen giving the standard users the advantage because that's fair. If they want to make things more technically fair they need to increase the FOV a little so that it's cropped a little on top but you get more on the sides. That being said, I still think they should use HOR+.

As for being overly sensitive to a smaller FOV in widescreen, well I somewhat doubt it. It's more likely that the lower FOV only plays a part in any discomfort you feel while playing. The same FOV in another game might very well feel fine. Also, you can't discount the psychosomatic effect of repeatedly being told by a number of people that playing the game makes people feel sick. Any discomfort you feel may only be in your mind.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 04:04 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 04:10 

[quote]Of course UT3 is gonna be VERT-. In general most FPS developers consider changing the FOV as cheating and they believe that widening the view for widescreen users gives them an unfair advantage. The obvious solution to this is to crop the widescreen giving the standard users the advantage because that's fair. If they want to make things more technically fair they need to increase the FOV a little so that it's cropped a little on top but you get more on the sides. That being said, I still think they should use HOR+.

That's not the case. They don't do it because of an unfair advantage. It's just the way they develop it and it's an oversight. Take Battlefield 2 and 2142 for example. Battlefield 2 was developed when widescreens weren't as popular as they are now. They developed the game around 4:3. Battlefield 2142 is based off of the Battlefield 2 engine and therefore is not set up for widescreen still. A lot of games are like this.

Actually to correct you both,

Battlefield 2 is Vert- because EA called widescreen cheating.

As for Epic, In the past they had very good widescreen support with adjustable FoV right in the menu on UT2004 for example. I would expect them to have at the very least Vert- with adjustable FOV in the menu.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 06:11 

You know we fixed it ... ?

Yeah I saw that, but that doesn't help with the 360 version. The game shouldn't be doing this...

Epic better do UT3 right, I will be pretty annoyed if its Vert-

I lightened the screenshot to make it easier to see for the purposes of the overlay ...

Thought that might of been the case.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 07:28 
Editors
Editors

Yeah I saw that, but that doesn't help with the 360 version.
Very good point ... I overlooked that one ... sorry bud ...