Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SimCity Societies
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 15:26 
As we all know, the next SimCity will be released this November. It is called SimCity Societies and you can read any other information from the link above or from here.

A trailer has been released. It can be downloaded from here. It is hosted by GamersHell.com

The graphics look awful but you don't buy this game for the graphics. It would be nice though if it had nice graphics. At least better than the SimCity4 had. SimCity Societies won't continue the original SimCity serie. But you can read it from the links above so I won't copy&paste them here.

Are there any others which have decided to buy this game?

Any conversation regarding this game is welcome.

EDIT: Oh and a good review.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 19:26 

........not bad graphics in my opinion.

But then again i'm used to SimCity 3000, so anything 3d is basically great.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2007, 08:17 
Editors
Editors

I absolutelly don't like the concept of building all the buildings yourself. I tried that in some other city building sims and didn't like it at all. I like the zoning concept of the original Simcity series way more. :(

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2007, 21:36 

simcity societies is shit. ea own maxis and now they want to cater ot the 9 year olds by dumbing down a fantastic franchise.

but there is hope

Cities Unlimited from the makes of city life look to be creating the true successor to sc4, in full 3d and with complex transport systems

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2007, 21:44 

Nice detail on the buildings in that screehshot!

The last Sim City game i played was Sim City 2000, i loved that one :).

Actually, the last sim game i played was Sim Copter. Very overlooked, but really fun game :).

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 07:38 
Editors
Editors

I was totally hooked on Simcity 4. Especially with the Rushhour addon it was a trully awesome game and it is probably the only game in my life that I played for more then half a year straight. I really liked the complexity of the game and if I look at what they are making it in to now it's indeed just another simgame. What a waste :(

Perhaps that Cities Unlimited game is good. How is the building concept? Do you have to place all the buildings yourself or is there a zoning concept? I want that because I want to focus on my city running the best it can and not where every building goes. That would put the focus of a citygame on the wrong part of running a city.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 09:00 
@ Violent Ken: That screenshot looks ok :) I'm glad that the trailer didn't reveal the real graphics.

@ steefy: I like the complexity of the SimCity4 but there's no point in making a copy of that game, is there? I'm looking forward to test this Societies. I like the thought of mixing various "cultures" and maybe see what would happen if your neighbours moved to 60km away from you :D On paper the idea of Societies seems to be really good but I'm a bit scared of will they succeed to make the game really work like that. Lets hope so.

PS. Check my signature ;)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 09:21 
Editors
Editors

Well no, it isn't a good idea to make an exact copy. But that doesn't mean you can ditch one of the key features of the original games. There is a lot that can be improved and adjusted over the old games without ditching the zoning concept.

btw, what's with the sig?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 10:47 
SimCity Societies isn't meant to be a sequel to the previous SimCities. It is a whole new game with some features known from the previous SimCities. I like the zoning concept too but it isn't "realistic". Rectangle blocks? In which city? Well, it works though..

My sig is now missing that "SOON:" thing.. :P

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 11:09 
Editors
Editors

Well, if it's not a sequel then they are really stupid. They are throwing away their entire fanbase of the original series then. :roll:
Btw, ever heard of New York, it's totally build out of blocks. :wink:

And congrats on the new rig mate. :wink: