Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 03:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 18:36 

I was mildly upset when the Medic achievements came out for TF2 because a good 1/4 of them actually discouraged team play by having you do things that would either waste your ubercharge or have you occupied with doing something other than what a medic is supposed to do. I went to one of the achievement_box servers so I could get some of the less helpful achievements out of the way (i.e. get 5 kills while having an undeployed ubercharge, have a heavy punch 2 people while ubercharged). I thought that it was just a simple, open map where people went to work on getting achievments.

I was wrong. The map is extremely heavily modded to get you all of the achievements without any effort and in as little time as possible. In less than 1 minute I had already racked up 1111 damage and 51 kills in 1 life while trying to get just the above 2 achievments (there were 4 or 5 total I was going to 'cheat' on). The round ended before I had a chance to log out and apparently the mods cause you to heal insane amounts of damage while healing others. I had healed over 600,000 points (yes, hundred thousand).

My stats are completely borked. Thankfully Valve is putting the reset stats button back in soon and I'm going to use it, regardless of whether or not it screws up my achievements.

I'm posting this so that other people won't make the same mistake I made. If you are interested in clearing the crappy Medic achievements just get some friends together and jump on an empty server. It may take longer, but at least you wont screw up your stats.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 19:02 

Thats the server that has that, not the map.

My medic stats are screwed too because of a server like that, but it was on just a random official map but i was healing 1000x faster and doing waay more damage.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 19:19 

Valve allows achievements to be completed on custom maps, that was their big mistake b/c people go to maps specifically designed to get certain ones. It ruins any type of worth the achievements have. I haven't played TF2 in 5 months *no gaming rig*though so I don't know anything about the new achievements. I had every single achievement before my gaming rig died though.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 19:43 

Valve allows achievements to be completed on custom maps, that was their big mistake b/c people go to maps specifically designed to get certain ones. It ruins any type of worth the achievements have. I haven't played TF2 in 5 months *no gaming rig*though so I don't know anything about the new achievements. I had every single achievement before my gaming rig died though.

They learned alot from the medic achievements, the main reason there were maps like that is that some of the medic achievements are impossible with normal gameplay, like 3x uber on one person. It has to be planned.

With the pyro achievments they really seen that and toned down the achievements so most if not all can be completed in regular gameplay.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 22:33 

But the pyro weapons (especially the backburner) are really so much more powerful than the defaults its not even funny. Ten minutes after the update I saw people with all the weapons, and cheating to get them (not cheating 1 or two. Like "ignite a spy flicking a cigarette"???) is just stupid and ruins the point of having achievements to get the items in the first place.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 01:25 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't see what the point of achievements in a multiplayer game is. To me, achievements are a neat gimmick in a singleplayer game that can add replay value in the form of new challenges with a minimal amount of effort on the dev's part. Multiplayer games don't need new challenges artificially inserted into the game - there's ALWAYS a new challenge: other players.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 03:41 

I wish they didn't put any achievements to get these new weapons in, makes me feel like grinding in an MMO. I don't want to play an MMO, I want the new toys and play the game, an FPS!

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 06:30 

I don't see what the point of achievements in a multiplayer game is. To me, achievements are a neat gimmick in a singleplayer game that can add replay value in the form of new challenges with a minimal amount of effort on the dev's part. Multiplayer games don't need new challenges artificially inserted into the game - there's ALWAYS a new challenge: other players.
Agree with that, but it does add some sort of a challenge to get the unlocks (which is nice, because it's more of a fun thing to try to do than a repetitive "get x amount of points" objective)

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 17:31 
Editors
Editors

...I agree.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 18:02 

I don't mind having a few achievements in a multiplayer game, especically some fairly easy ones so as not to distract, but this is kinda excessive. I definitely agree that achievements are more of a single player thing. At this rate, TF2 is gonna have over 9000 achievements by itself. :