Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 07:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 12:02 

These are some videos I made of Burnout Paradise, this first post of which* only shows the Fraps/PlayClaw comparison and a solo PlayClaw clip using it's recommended method of setting FPS.

The comparison clips are both captured @ 25 FPS, while the solo clip is @ 20 FPS. The comparison clips are of identical Burning Routes, in game TOD, and even near identical in finish line times.

Though PlayClaw has 2 compression settings for compressing while capturing, I used it's Uncompressed mode since I was comparing it to Fraps, which has no compression option.

I had to compress the comparison clips due to the PlayClaw captures being well over Filefront's file size limit. Both are captured with an identical twopass, 5000Kbps bit rate using Xvid in VirtualDub.

Besides the PlayClaw capture being a bit over twice the size of the Fraps one, it exhibits noticeable hitching on playback. The Fraps playback was not only smoother, it resulted in no less smoothness in gameplay whilst recording.

Hawker Burn Rt 5K Kbps Fraps

Hawker Burn Rt 5K Kbps PlayClaw

The winner hands down is Fraps. Even in lieu of PlayClaw's larger file size and hitching on playback, there simply was no smoother gaming performance whilst playing to justify the uncapped codec PlayClaw uses, which no doubt is the cause of at least the hitching problem. I will however keep PlayClaw on my HDD for games that I get too low FPS to play while capturing with Fraps, but I remain skeptical.

Below is that solo clip using PlayClaw @ 20 FPS I spoke of above. I get anywhere from 25-55 FPS while playing Burnout Paradise without recording. This shows that using PlayClaw's recommended method of setting FPS can result in quite a low capture setting. Yet even recording this clip, the gameplay, though PlayClaw showing a higher gameplay FPS, was not significant enough to be noticeably easier to control the car than recording with Fraps at 25 FPS.

The route in this clip is fully exploited, using all available stunts along the way. I was originally going to use it for the Fraps/PlayClaw comparison. In the end though, I decided linking all the stunts together in one run whilst recording was too hard. I had several recordings with Fraps getting all but one of the stunts.

Had I persevered as long as I did to make this one, I may have succeeded, but I saw no point for the mere purpose of comparing the capture tools. Thus I came up with the alternate route in the clips above, which IMO is just as fun to drive. In all I counted 11 multiplier points in this one, had the stunts been linked together with burn in a stunt run.

Hawker Burn Rt @20 FPS PlayClaw

*I will follow up tomorrow with more Fraps clips of Burnout Paradise. I have several A Class races using the 25 V16 Revenge, and one each of the Racing Oval Champ and Uberschall 8.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 16:46 

Great thread! Its nice to be able to read about these 2 programs in detail and then see the video comparison myself. I think for the sake of trying PlayClaw did alrightf. Fraps has been on the market for some years now. Maybe playclaw can improve itself with some updates. Allowing it better performance and smaller video captures. You can defiantly see how FRAPS made a better recording.

If PlayCloaw wants to make a name for itself maybe they should include some compression features. Maybe even a direct upload to youtube feature.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 03:31 

Great thread! Its nice to be able to read about these 2 programs in detail and then see the video comparison myself. I think for the sake of trying PlayClaw did alrightf. Fraps has been on the market for some years now. Maybe playclaw can improve itself with some updates. Allowing it better performance and smaller video captures. You can defiantly see how FRAPS made a better recording.

If PlayCloaw wants to make a name for itself maybe they should include some compression features. Maybe even a direct upload to youtube feature.
Thanks, but sorry if the mini review/comparison wasn't thorough enough to explain that PlayClaw DOES actually have two compression options. Besides Uncompressed, you can select Low Compression or High Compression. I edited the review accordingly.

However, since the comparison was aimed solely at pitting PlayClaw against Fraps, a tool that only captures uncompressed, I did not use the compression features. Compressing whilst capturing also taxes your CPU more, and my spec is fairly low (P4 3Ghz, X1950Pro, 2GB RAM).

Both capture and compression are resource intense. I feel it's best to not do them simultaneously, esp if you prefer to compress with a high quality codec like Xvid, which produces great image quality and low file size, but has to undergo lots of calculations while doing so.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 05:05 
Insiders
Insiders

XviD... high quality... I laughed. :)

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 07:16 

XviD... high quality... I laughed. :)

hehe I sol'd aswell.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 11:14 

A bit of thread stomping going on here? Show me a better codec in image quality for the resulting file size that is free open source and I will eat those words. Otherwise keep your mouths to yourselves you childish turds.

No wonder not many offer contributions around here, bunch of retards. :roll:

Anyone that knows anything at all about offering videos for net download understands file size is important too. Look at ALL the major download sites for TV shows, movies, etc, and you will find they're offered primarily in two types of codecs, X264 and Xvid. X264, while being slightly better in image quality results in WAY bigger file sizes and is WAY less stable to use.

I don't see the two of you proving to be aficionados of videos for the smart ass remarks you make. Where are your offerings wannabes? If you could manage anything better they'd probably be larger files than anyone would want to bother with.

Bunch of God damned punks I swear. You two better keep your mouths under control in my contribution threads from now on or the shit is going to fly faster than you can shut them. Probably a couple of idiot DivX dickheads.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 14:28 
Insiders
Insiders

Getting off topic, no?

The thread and those videos did their job. Isn't that enough?

Fraps good.
Playclaw not so good. Yet. I didn;t think it'd look so poor.

And Frag Maniac.... 4:3?? Whu? Huh?

PS - just got the Hawking and stole your route.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 15:00 
Editors
Editors

As Jedediah said "Great Thread". It's helping people and serving it's purpose in comparing the 2 capture programs.

There's no need to attack it. :?

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 23:16 

Yeah, perhaps I could have opposed that attack, which it was, a bit more tactfully, but I felt anyone as knowledgeable as they are ought to know better. Most into video making know full well x264 is the best codec for final compression as far as image quality goes, but primarily used for HD video, not net downloads where file size is critical.

Obviously one of the primary functions of a codec is to compress to a smaller file size. In that respect they are not unlike file compression tools like WinRar, 7zip, etc. Thus their image quality for the given file size should be a main factor in judging their overall quality. Xvid still holds the crown for small file size. If you tried making an x264 vid of equal size it would look quite bad.

X264 is also fairly complex and unstable to work with. You so much as even use an avi container and you can wind up with problems. Having to perform simple tasks like resizing via AviSynth isn't exactly the pinnacle of user friendliness either.

It wasn't long ago many, even the tech oriented, thought wmv was the best codec for small file sizes, some preferring DivX. Then Xvid started being widely used and wmv and DivX got left in the dust. Along came HD video and suddenly all those obsessing over cataloging their Blu-ray movies wanted something better, enter x264, the open source alternative to the very finicky H.264.

Along the way there were many frustrations, more so than with any codec before. I mean just Google for Fraps to x264 encoding and you will get half a dozen opinions on how best to do that with several accessory tools listed to assist the process.

Thus the primary use for x264 became and still is HD video archiving, an elitist crowd that is often seen even using such monikers for their websites. To each their own. Personally, I don't bother cataloging HD movies. Heck, I don't even rent them yet.

I prefer to wait until Blu-ray takes over on the rental end of the market before even equipping myself with such hardware. I really can't see cataloging movies when I don't care to watch them a 2nd time unless they are exceptionally good, and even then I prefer to wait a couple years so I've forgotten most of it and it's fresh again watching it.

At the price I get my rentals for, I can watch a movie twice and still pay no more than just the blank disc it takes to catalog it, and then there's all that time to encode, compress and burn. True to the moniker elite, some people have nothing better to do than harp about someone else's work in having obsessed for hours over their own little home movie projects that probably for the most part just sit on the discs they were burned to.

OK, enough of the OT. Here's the rest of those Burnout Paradise videos I promised. All these use Fraps for capture and again, Xvid, for compression. If you feel the video quality isn't to your liking, perhaps you are using WMP for playback. I highly recommend a better, superior alternative, like KMPlayer or even VirtualDub can play them back much better. I here VLC is now vastly improved too.

These are all races btw, listed by name of race and car used:
(There's no boost used in any of these. After my first successful no boost run in Go West!, I became more interested in doing them that way, as it adds needed challenge to the game IMO.)

Go West! - Oval Champ

Save ferris - Revenge

Hard Fort - Revenge

Full Gallop - Revenge

Torpedo Run - Revenge

Plaza Endurance - Revenge

Mano A Mano - Revenge

Baseball Battle - Uberschall

For the record I am going to try some x264 compressions, despite having a pretty good idea of the tradeoffs. I don't particularly like overly complex, bulky, finicky codecs, but I am a stickler for comparisons.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 01:49 
Insiders
Insiders

A bit of thread stomping going on here? Show me a better codec in image quality for the resulting file size that is free open source and I will eat those words. Otherwise keep your mouths to yourselves you childish turds.

x264. It's free. It's open source. It has better image quality and a smaller file size, because it's smarter, newer, H.264, better compression, etc., etc., etc.

Anyone that knows anything at all about offering videos for net download understands file size is important too. Look at ALL the major download sites for TV shows, movies, etc, and you will find they're offered primarily in two types of codecs, X264 and Xvid. X264, while being slightly better in image quality results in WAY bigger file sizes and is WAY less stable to use.

I'm not trying to insult you here, but it really sounds like you haven't done any research or homework. x264 produces better image quality at smaller filesizes. YouTube actually uses x264 to encode their videos. NoobFlicks does, as well.

Now why would YouTube, the largest online video site, use x264 to encode their videos if the filesizes were so much larger? How would that help dealing with the massive amounts of traffic and streaming they have to do?

I don't see the two of you proving to be aficionados of videos for the smart ass remarks you make. Where are your offerings wannabes? If you could manage anything better they'd probably be larger files than anyone would want to bother with.

I'm not much of a video maker, but I do a lot with the technical side of encodings. I consistently do testing, work with the developers, comparisons, etc. I make available lossless videos online that can be used to test. I also experiment with many different encoding options that affect quality.

Most into video making know full well x264 is the best codec for final compression as far as image quality goes, but primarily used for HD video, not net downloads where file size is critical.

Disagree. x264 produces smaller sizes than XviD while providing better image quality. It's not just good for HD, it's good for SD, HD, and whatever you want to throw at it.

Obviously one of the primary functions of a codec is to compress to a smaller file size. In that respect they are not unlike file compression tools like WinRar, 7zip, etc. Thus their image quality for the given file size should be a main factor in judging their overall quality. Xvid still holds the crown for small file size. If you tried making an x264 vid of equal size it would look quite bad.

Entirely false. x264 will not only be a smaller filesize, but the resulting quality will be incredibly better. Using your archive compression comparison. Think of XviD as the old zip format. It has poor compression. Now think of x264 as lzma (what 7z uses). It has much better compression, while still retaining the same contents. So if you targeted a specific quality between XviD and x264, x264 will be the clear winner in filesize and quality.

X264 is also fairly complex and unstable to work with. You so much as even use an avi container and you can wind up with problems. Having to perform simple tasks like resizing via AviSynth isn't exactly the pinnacle of user friendliness either.

Again, this sounds like you've never personally messed with x264. It is completely stable to use. It's also no more or less complex than XviD. Both utilities have command line versions that you can pass arguments to, and both have plenty of interfaces that you can use to set your options.

AVI? Seriously? AVI is one of the worst containers available to date. MP4 and MKV are both superior in features, compatibility, formats supported, etc. No b-frame support, no streaming, etc., etc., etc.

Using AviSynth is amazing. You don't have to use it. There are plenty of ways to resize without using AviSynth. It's just that using AviSynth makes everything far easier. Want to downscale a video? LanczosResize(640, 480). Now you just open the .avs file in any video player you want and you can see it downsized without even encoding it. There is so much you can do with AviSynth. It's probably one of the most powerful video utilities around. However, AviSynth, again, is not required to do any of that. It's just an easier way.

It wasn't long ago many, even the tech oriented, thought wmv was the best codec for small file sizes, some preferring DivX. Then Xvid started being widely used and wmv and DivX got left in the dust. Along came HD video and suddenly all those obsessing over cataloging their Blu-ray movies wanted something better, enter x264, the open source alternative to the very finicky H.264.

H.264 is a solid standard. The standard specifies both encoding and decoding. It's a newer and better standard than what XviD uses. XviD is old technology.

I mean just Google for Fraps to x264 encoding and you will get half a dozen opinions on how best to do that with several accessory tools listed to assist the process.

How is this a problem? The last time I checked, choices were a good thing. Sure, there are plenty of ways. There are plenty of utilities, tools, etc. to accomplish this. Use what you want.

Thus the primary use for x264 became and still is HD video archiving, an elitist crowd that is often seen even using such monikers for their websites. To each their own. Personally, I don't bother cataloging HD movies. Heck, I don't even rent them yet.

People think this way because whenever anyone tries to explain why x264 is better, it gets shot down by elitist XviD users who won't let go of the past. x264 is, and always will be, better at encoding anything over XviD.

For the record I am going to try some x264 compressions, despite having a pretty good idea of the tradeoffs. I don't particularly like overly complex, bulky, finicky codecs, but I am a stickler for comparisons.

This is what I do. I do comparisons. I talk with the developers daily. I provide test cases. I work with the technical side of all of these codecs. I can already tell you x264 is better in every way.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie