Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 10:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Left 4 Dead 2?
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009, 22:01 

Wow, this is a bit soon.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/2552/

How about instead of making everyone buy a whole new game only a year afer release of number 1, you release this as an expansion?

New campaigns/maps? Yep, expansion. New weapons and survivors? Yeaaaa.... Expansion material as well.
New pathways? Hey, that should have been included a long time ago, if not as an update right now.

This irks me greatly. I didn't know this was an EA Sports title.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009, 22:22 
Insiders
Insiders

Cool. Now I won't have to buy #1, i can jsut wait for 2.

I'll bet the original will be included, or at the least, be part of a cheaper package...

For thsoe too lazy to click:

Valve Announces Left 4 Dead 2
June 1, 2009, 12:05 pm - Valve - Press Release

Sequel to Best-Selling Co-op Thriller Coming This Holiday

June 1, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed co-operative multiplayer thriller.

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC, L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009's marquee titles.

"A large part of how Left 4 Dead became 2008's top-selling new IP on Xbox 360 and the PC was the custom-tailored gameplay made possible by the AI Director," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games."

Set for release on November 17, the title adds melee combat to enable deeper co-operative gameplay, with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more.

Introducing the AI Director 2.0, L4D's dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.

Featuring new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, and maps for Survival mode available at launch.

Supported by a $10+ million marketing campaign, Left 4 Dead has sold over 2.5 million retail copies since it was released in November of 2008. Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC on November 17, 2009, and will be launched worldwide with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign across TV, Outdoor, and Online.

"Left 4 Dead was backed by our most aggressive advertising campaign to date, and resulted in a top 5 showing on two platforms during holiday 2008," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "Left 4 Dead 2 is a larger game and will be supported with even more consumer and retail advertising programs than the original."

Left 4 Dead 2 will be featured as the cover story on PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazines this month."

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009, 23:30 

Brought to you by the same great team that brought you such amazing titles as Counter-Strike: Condition Zero!

Oh wait.

It seems Valve gave Turtle rock a little bit too much power.

Hey now atleast we know why there has been like 2 updates to L4D since it was released.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009, 23:47 

Great. Guess I'll just keep playing TF2.

Post subject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2?
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 10:44 

How about instead of making everyone buy a whole new game only a year afer release of number 1, you release this as an expansion?

New campaigns/maps? Yep, expansion. New weapons and survivors? Yeaaaa.... Expansion material as well.
New pathways? Hey, that should have been included a long time ago, if not as an update right now.

To some extent i have faith in valve , im sure they'll work something out for the PC users but i wont hold my breath.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 21:21 

In SP mode it should be called Left Two 4 Dead, esp on higher difficulty levels. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2?
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 21:52 

[quote]

To some extent i have faith in valve , im sure they'll work something out for the PC users but i wont hold my breath.

I play it on the 360 so I'm screwed.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 22:13 

In SP mode it should be called Left Two 4 Dead, esp on higher difficulty levels. :lol:

They should pull a Fast and the Furious on it, resulting in Left 2 Die. (2 Fast 2 Furious)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 22:19 

Yea I am hoping that they don't charge too much for it for more or less more content and some extra improvements to AI etc. I wouldnt mind like 25 bucks if it is already in your steam account (it would be hard to discount in store by that system or they do each for 25 and both for 50)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 22:35 

Yeah I'm really hoping that they price it as an expansion, and really tie it into the existing game. If they do I cant exactly hate all that much on it.

But who am I kidding I would buy it if it was $200.