Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 17:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 02:16 

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098

Prediction: New DRM so... It will work great once, Pirates will be without Assassin's Creed 2 Settlers 7 for a week or two (which is substantial piracy protection I fully admit) Then they get a crack out and, bam any games to use this DRM will take mere hours to crack.

As seen in SecuROM 7.34.0007 with online activation as first used in a little game called Bioshock. 10 Days from release to a proper working crack, Enough time to have people excited to pirate it go "Okay this is taking too long I'm just going to go buy it so that I can finally play it". It worked, SecuROM 7 was a success for once. Now? It takes about 25 minutes to fully crack something with SecuROM 7.

Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 18:04 

I'll buy the retail edition... online only shouldn't cause me any hassles for now and when a crack comes out, which it will, I will download it and burn it to a CD and put it in the box, then YAY... DRM free copy.

It is annoying of course to have to do such things.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 19:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Doesn't bother me any. If I were interested in this game, I'd just wait for the inevitable crack, then buy the game, apply the crack, and make my own backup, as I do with all of my games (aside from Source/GoldSrc engine stuff which I consider too closely integrated with Steam to be truly cracked).

*is waiting for an Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 crack to come out*

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 19:39 
Insiders
Insiders

As long as it's not installing anything ridiculous or harmful it's OK with me.

Also, if it does indeed increase the sales for the first games that use it. There is no reason they shouldn't update the anti-piracy software.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 20:09 

It doesn't look much different from Steam or GfWL.

What I don't like is creating yet another online account for playing games. I already have Steam, Impulse, GfWL, EA, Battle.Net and probably a dozen others. It seems in the future you'll need to have an account for every major game publisher.

That's one more area where consoles will be far more user friendly than PC.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 22:25 
Administrators
Administrators

Sighs, they will never win why do they even bother, PC versions come out now a days months after the console version anyway. Internet copy protection is all very well but forcing someone to maintain and internet connection just to play the game is stupid, what happens if that persons phone line goes down for a few hours, there expected to just sit and twiddle their thumbs while the pirates happily play the game anyway. When will they learn DRM only ever effect legitimate customers.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 22:59 
Editors
Editors

Update: Ubisoft has sent over an FAQ with more details (below) including a promise that should the service be stopped, games would be patched to remain playable

Well staple my head to the carpet and call me Clark Griswold, they gave us a promise! Ubisoft, please help yourself to my wallet!

One thing I will simply never be ok with...online-only savegames.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 03:13 

One thing I will simply never be ok with...online-only savegames.
Those of you playing Batman: AA, watch out for this...I ran into it just the other day when reinstalling.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 03:33 
Editors
Editors

[quote]One thing I will simply never be ok with...online-only savegames.
Those of you playing Batman: AA, watch out for this...I ran into it just the other day when reinstalling.
Great. Didn't know about that. Guess I need to google for a workaround...

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 04:36 

Great. Didn't know about that. Guess I need to google for a workaround...

It's not that the saves are online, but that GFW:L links your saves to whatever "Profile" you used while playing the game. Which means that
#1 you can't back up individual saves, only whatever "profiles" you have
#2 if you lose the "profile" data you can't even load a correct save; the game will say that it's "corrupted."

Thread on the topic:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96261

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next