Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 15:27 

I know City of Heroes is old news, and so there probably isn't TOO much interest in it around these parts, if any, but there's something I want to bring to your attention. They've got a new free expansion coming out soon, which includes a long-overdue graphics upgrade - which they're calling Ultra Mode. Here's a link to the official news:

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/game_updates/issue_17/issue_17_overview.html

The reason I call attention to this is that, as many of you know, City of Heroes has always used the vert- method of dealing with widescreen resolutions. Considering the game came out BEFORE WoW, in 2004, I guess that's to be expected. Thing is, I know they're gearing up to try to attract some new players - this free expansion should be out in a month or two, followed by a new paid expansion (called Going Rogue) which is going to feature new starting zones designed to take advantage of the graphics upgrade, a revamped beginning player experience, and include both City of Heroes/Villains in one new retail box. There's no doubt part of the intention here is to attract some new players.

But it's a different world now than it was in 2004 - most monitor sales these days are widescreen, and I think if they actually want to RETAIN new players, it's time they addressed proper widescreen support in their game - and, as of yet, there's no word whether or not widescreen support is part of Ultra Mode. Here's a thread on the topic, on their forums:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=209992&page=2

Of course, you won't be able to post to it if you're not a current subscriber, so I'm not sure how you can make your voice heard by the developers. But, in searching for posts related to CoH/CoV, I noticed that there are at least a few people around here who've played the game, so I thought there might be some interest.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 23:50 
Founder
Founder

I played the game when it came out and was in a pretty cool SG. Made some IRL friends from there. Always liked the game. Would love to help lobby for proper support.