Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 17:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 00:15 

http://kotaku.com/5740341/would-you-care-for-a-metal-gear-solid-hd-collection

Please port this.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 06:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Even if a PS3 version was a sure thing, and not just a rumor, I think the odds of a PC port are pretty much nonexistent, given the track records of both Konami and Sony.

That said, I would definitely settle for a PS3 version. The "HD Trilogies" of Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, and Splinter Cell can go in the trash bin of history. I played all of those in "HD" years before the PS3 even existed. MGS2's existence is more excusable - the PC version is problematic, especially in the controls department (thanks to a half-assed way of simulating pressure sensitive buttons instead of redesigning the controls just a little bit), and MGS3 is just begging to be played in high resolution with better draw distance and no slowdown.

I'd also hope that they'd include the original MGS1. If Twin Snakes is included as bonus material, that's fine and dandy, but it would be a travesty to include that *instead* of the original.

All in all, there are only four PS2 franchises that I see as really deserving of the "HD" treatment. ICO, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, and God of War. One already has it, one is in the works, one is rumored, and one is the anime version of Ghostbusters with an Oedipus complex.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 16:13 

Although i can already guess it won't, but it would be great for a PC release.

I can't help but think with these HD re-releases that they just shouldn't do it.
Nostalgia is bad.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 19:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Why not? Nostalgia might be bad, but Metal Gear Solid isn't.
Granted, it's not as good as its reputation deserves - the lauded plot and storytelling are quite atrocious actually, but it has its merits as well.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 19:32 

I have never really played any of the Solid series except for the first one. The controls were wonky and the washed out palette made it hard to differentiate things on the old TV.

I got up to the part with the first-person guided missle and lost interest.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 20:59 
Insiders
Insiders

You can find the PC versions of the first two for very cheap, and they look a bit better. I love the comical popping sound when you snap the chicks' neck in the first one.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 15:13 
Editors
Editors

Of the MGS games, the only one that I've bothered to replay was Metal Gear Solid (PCCD!) MGS2 and 3 I found deeply repetitive, and MGS4 should have been a film, not a game.

I liked the story (what little of it I managed to grasp) but the games themselves? Eh, give me Thief 1 & 2 any day...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 03:56 

Why not? Nostalgia might be bad, but Metal Gear Solid isn't.
Granted, it's not as good as its reputation deserves - the lauded plot and storytelling are quite atrocious actually, but it has its merits as well.

Might just be me, but I just think somethings should be just left alone.

Of the MGS games, the only one that I've bothered to replay was Metal Gear Solid (PCCD!) MGS2 and 3 I found deeply repetitive, and MGS4 should have been a film, not a game.

I liked the story (what little of it I managed to grasp) but the games themselves? Eh, give me Thief 1 & 2 any day...

I must have played 1 and 2 over 'n' over for years. And still regard 4 as one of the best of the current gen.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 04:09 
Insiders
Insiders

Might just be me, but I just think somethings should be just left alone.

Define "left alone." If you're against a re-release, it sounds like what you really mean is "some things should be forgotten, never to be seen again by anybody."

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 22:50 

The HD Prince of Persia Trilogy is rumored to be going multiplat. No word on a PC version.